Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking for new wheels and tires to increase traction. Ive looked around google and this site, and yet i still have no definite answer to my question; what rear wheels and tires can i run on my mustang without rub issues!

Last weekend i took my mustang to big bear to do some snowboarding, and didnt see a curb in a snow pile, and i damaged my american racing right front 17x9 :(
i could get it fixed cuz i really didnt hit hard at all, but ive been wanting new tires in the back anyway, so its time for an upgrade and an alignment! i still have 3 good ar razors so ill keep 2 on the front and throw the new wheels and tires on the back. all things considered, it was pretty epic driving around the mountains on snow and ice, we were sideways more than we were going straight!

As it is, im really disappointed with the traction i have on dry surfaces even, and i want to get a wider tire in the back as cheap as possible. Im also getting a rear lower control arm relocation kit asap cuz ive heard that makes a huge difference, and its a pretty good deal too. anyway, i know wider the tire the bigger the budget, but summit has these lightweight wheels for a pretty good deal, and since theyre half the cost of the ar wheels i have, i can afford the wider tires :D
So i know it is possible to run 15 inch wheels on the rear, but id like them to be 12 inches wide, and i dont know if my 05 gt will fit that. does anyone run a 15x12 (if thats even the correct way to say that) and can tell me what backspacing they have? any other thoughts are appreciated. thanks!

scott

Bart Wheels 401151210-2 - Bart Wheels Stock Car Lightweight Black with Purple Stripe Wheels - Overview - SummitRacing.com

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
With the perfect size wheel and offset you can run a tire 12" wide (305mm) on a 18" rim. Something like a 18x10.5 wheel with a 56mm offset.

The thing is I think there are only two 305x18 tires available. One is a drag radial and one is a track day tire. If you are going with 18's you will most likely end up running a 18x10 or 18x10.5" wheel and a 295mm tire (11.6").

If you go with 20" wheels you can run a 315mm wide tire (12.4"). Something along the lines of a 20x11 wheel with a 62mm offset.

Good luck:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks sqidd, your advise helped me out a lot! i ended up with 15x10.5 race stars and mickey thompson et's, and i couldnt be any happier. now i just need some more power to break these loose a little eaiser :p

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
thanks sqidd, your advise helped me out a lot! i ended up with 15x10.5 race stars and mickey thompson et's, and i couldnt be any happier. now i just need some more power to break these loose a little eaiser :p
Sounds like you need boost.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts