Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. A nice 2003 Mach 1 5 speed came in at the dealership I work at. It's white with 40,000 miles. I can get the car for $12000 which would be a lot cheaper than my 2008 GT. It's bone stock so it's not as fast as my GT but I know the four valve has a lot of potential. Which is the better car in turns of mod friendliness and reliability? I drive pretty hard and visit the strip on a regular basis.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Na id stick with what you got, the new 3V is a damn decent engine...it's seen well over 800 HP...survey says that's respectable.

yes there are limitless possibility's...but for a street car..why

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
A 2003 Mach1 5-speed came in the dealership at which I work. It's white with 40,000 miles and iIt's bone stock.
That Mach1 is a nice car. It has 3.55:1 gears and a forged crank (since it's a manual trans - the automatic Mach1s came with cast cranks and a lower redline) from the factory. And 40,000 miles is not bad for a 6 year old car. Anyone who buys it should take care of it and avoid overly modifying it.

It sounds like you would be the wrong owner for that Mach1. Your S197 GT is already fairly well modified and is better suited to your planned usage.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
If I was going to have a SN95 model, that would be the one. I don't know about taking that car with your mods either. Looks like a toss up to me.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
The only S195 I would get would have to be the Cobra which has forged internals and you can make that car scream. I know of on for sale with 650 rwhp for sale for 14,000.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I nearly did exactly what you're considering, it was even a white mach i test drove. I kept the '06 though, mainly because the dealer was trying to screw me (surprise, surprise). Those 03-04 white Machs are probably my favorite mustang, and once I get the '06 paid off I'm hoping to get one...

·
Registered
369 Posts
See if they will let you drive it if you have not driven the previous year. I would put them close mod for mod speed wise. For me it would come down to which body I like unless you want a rare car. There were not many mach's made.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I wouldn't trade but would certainly add one (if my wife would allow me :( )

My relatively short time on this forum tells me that your wife allowing you to add any pony to the stable is rather unlikely :scratchchin

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
They will both be money pits at the end of the day. Just keep what you have. You could make one hell of a car for 12K.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys. I drove the car around the block and may drive it home tonight. With that 6800 rpm redline, it's a screamer for sure. A set of gears would wake it up a ton. I will run nearly 90 mph in second! I just have always liked the Mach and other than a Terminator, it's my favorite.

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
The only S195 I would get would have to be the Cobra which has forged internals and you can make that car scream. I know of on for sale with 650 rwhp for sale for 14,000.
650rwhp for $14k, F that bro. It probably is going to blow up real soon, does anyone remember the one guy with a 05 LL GT that was supercharged, non intercooled- he bought it for $17k over by me.. His motor blew only a week or a few after he bought it.. I could see that happening with that cobra.

I would love to trade in my gt for a 04 Terminator, but the fact its supercharged scares me- people probably beat the living crap out of it. I sure run my 06 hard, so i can't imagine what would happen to a faster car..

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Running these cars hard shouldn't be harmful to them, especially if they are stock. They are built to do it and as long as they are maintained, they should provide years of service. A guy at work has a 1994 Cobra. He drives harder than anyone I have ever seen. We're talking around 100,000 miles with burnouts, donuts, powershifts all the time, dragstrip often, daily driver, and it has never been rebuilt. I runs 13.0 in the quarter with slicks and 4.30 gears. It has never been broke. At least in the 8 years he's had it. He said he just keeps the oil changed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Na id stick with what you got, the new 3V is a damn decent engine...it's seen well over 800 HP...survey says that's respectable.

yes there are limitless possibility's...but for a street car..why
Not on stock internals.

Don't sell the 3V.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Not on stock internals.

Don't sell the 3V.
of-corse...really any type of reliability even at 400 HP or more you really need to change the internals, blueprint the crank, replace the heads, while your at it, bore it .020 over and lower the compression.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.