Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I installed the Saleen short shift adapter. In spite of the lousy instructions it was very easy to install. I put the car up on jackstands first. Then just remove the nut and bolt that connects the shift lever to the tranny linkage, bolt on the short shift adapter onto the linkage and then bolt the adapter back onto the shift lever. All of this is above the driveline but still very accessible. It should have been a 10 minute job but was longer due to the instructions that mislabel driver side and passenger side so I installed it backwards to begin with. Just look at the pictures. What this adapter does is make the lower end (under the car) of the shift lever about an inch longer, reducing the throw by about 30%.

After installation I drove around for about an hour on some of the twisty roads around here. After a while the new, shorter action seemed natural. The shifting action is definetly shorter and quicker, although a little 'clunckier' because of the reduced leverage, something all short shifters do so some extent. This reduced leverage also increases the effort needed to shift a bit, another thing inherant to short shifters.

Bottom line: Two thumbs up!! This item may not be as good as getting a complete new shifting system ($200+) but for $26 it's one of the quickest, easiest and cheapest mods I've done. If you are thinking of getting a new Hurst or other maker's short shifter I might recommend trying this first, to see what short shifting is like before spending all that money and finding out you don't like the shorter action. Or if you're just on a low budget, this is definetely worth a try.

There's one more way to know this is a good thing...your wife/girlfriend won't like it.

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
Short throw shifter

Thank you so much for posting this thread. I know I started a thread awhile ago regarding the short throw shifter, but this helps out alot. Question, is this something anyone could install, or does it require a significant amount of mechanical skill?

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mrvandermey said:
Thank you so much for posting this thread. I know I started a thread awhile ago regarding the short throw shifter, but this helps out alot. Question, is this something anyone could install, or does it require a significant amount of mechanical skill?
It was very easy. I little bit of dexterity is required because you'll have to put the car on jackstands and you'll be on your back trying to put two bolts on that are above the driveline, BUT I think most would rate it easy to moderately easy. Just a 13mm socket and a 15mm socket are the only tools needed. I've never been one to work on cars until I got this Mustang so I'm no veteran machanic. It took me an hour because I installed it backwards to begin with due to poor instructions but I could do it again in ten minutes.

Give it a go!

·
Registered
767 Posts
What is the distance traveled now by the shifter between 1st and 2nd gear?
Have a camera by chance? Can you set the camera in a stationary spot ( so the picture will be the same ) and take a pic of the shifter in 1st, then a picture (without moving the camera ) of the shifter in 2nd? Would be quite interesting to see how short the throw actually is. Have seen pictures like this from a Hurst shifter. Was amazed at how short the throw ended up being. All makes sense, you are basically changing the pivot point of the shift rod by extending the lower end of the rod. And like you said, for $30 bucks it is hard to go wrong.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hawgman said:
What is the distance traveled now by the shifter between 1st and 2nd gear?
Have a camera by chance? Can you set the camera in a stationary spot ( so the picture will be the same ) and take a pic of the shifter in 1st, then a picture (without moving the camera ) of the shifter in 2nd? Would be quite interesting to see how short the throw actually is. Have seen pictures like this from a Hurst shifter. Was amazed at how short the throw ended up being. All makes sense, you are basically changing the pivot point of the shift rod by extending the lower end of the rod. And like you said, for $30 bucks it is hard to go wrong.
I'll take some measurements and photos tonight. You know how when you grab the shifter by the lever and not the knob and shift into 3rd you smash your fingers? That doesn't happen any more.

·
Registered
886 Posts
LMAO!! I thought I was the only one that happened to!!!!! I was too embarassed to mention it!:laughlitt

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ultraclyde said:
LMAO!! I thought I was the only one that happened to!!!!! I was too embarassed to mention it!:laughlitt

Ultraclyde: You talking about installing backwards or smashing fingers?

I measured the shift travel using a very high tech method; I held a ruler up to the shift knob and shifted. Distance at the top of the shift knob from 3rd gear to 4th=2 inches with the Saleen adapter.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Smashing my fingers. I've NEVER installed anything backwards.:winks

wait-my nose is growing...

·
Registered
767 Posts
Does it change the throw in both directions, or only in one direction ( forgot that question in my last post )

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hawgman said:
Does it change the throw in both directions, or only in one direction ( forgot that question in my last post )
Do you mean forward and backward? Yes, it changes everything by 30%. Imagine if your car was the same in every way except that the shift lever was 3 feet long. The distance the shift knob moves between gears would be very far in all directions but because of the increased leverage it would be very easy to move into gear. Now imagine your shift lever was 1 inch long. The distance the shift knob moves between gears would be very small in all directions but the effort needed to shift into a gear would be great because of poor leverage. This is what happens with the Saleen adapter (and to all short shifters), except not to those extremes, of course.

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
short throw shifter

Well 5twenty, you convinced me, I jus tordere dmy Saleen adapter today. Besides the shorter distance of travel, I am interested in the more effort to shift. I know this sounds strange, but my only complaint with the Stang was that I always felt the shifting was a little too soft. Kind of like running a hot knife through melted butter. I like a little more resistance than that. And anything that improves shifting from 2nd to 3rd is a plus. So I am sold. :eyepoppin

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mrvandermey said:
Well 5twenty, you convinced me, I jus tordere dmy Saleen adapter today. Besides the shorter distance of travel, I am interested in the more effort to shift. I know this sounds strange, but my only complaint with the Stang was that I always felt the shifting was a little too soft. Kind of like running a hot knife through melted butter. I like a little more resistance than that.
If you're looking for a little more resistance you're really like it. For $26 you can just toss it if you don't like it but I bet you will. Be sure to let us know how your installation goes and how you like it.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Yo 5twenty...did the instructions say anything about this part being compatible with the V6 also? I e-mailed Saleen a week ago and have heard nothing back from them thus far. Got interested in this part after reading a different thread last week...and now your post has convinced me to pull the trigger...so long, of course, as it fits...

Any info is greatly appreciated...thanks bro...

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
zregime said:
Yo 5twenty...did the instructions say anything about this part being compatible with the V6 also? I e-mailed Saleen a week ago and have heard nothing back from them thus far. Got interested in this part after reading a different thread last week...and now your post has convinced me to pull the trigger...so long, of course, as it fits...
I bought it here: http://store.cal-mustang.com/showdetl-7-9157-25-0.html

This reseller says it is for 2005-2006 Mustang. It doesn't specify GT or V6 so I would think it would be for both. If the instructions say anything different I'll let you know when I get home tonight.

·
Registered
767 Posts
5twenty said:
If you're looking for a little more resistance you're really like it. For $26 you can just toss it if you don't like it but I bet you will. Be sure to let us know how your installation goes and how you like it.
:eyebulge: You keep saying $26 but on the link you bought yours from it is $39. For that matter, on the Saleen web site it is $29. Either way.....ya talked me in to it :winks Bought it direct from Saleen ( which by the way came out to $41 )
Probably be the best and cheapest mod I have bought!

·
Registered
502 Posts
5twenty said:
I bought it here: http://store.cal-mustang.com/showdetl-7-9157-25-0.html

This reseller says it is for 2005-2006 Mustang. It doesn't specify GT or V6 so I would think it would be for both. If the instructions say anything different I'll let you know when I get home tonight.
Thanks much...one more stocking stuffer for me this Christmas!

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hawgman said:
:eyebulge: You keep saying $26 but on the link you bought yours from it is $39. For that matter, on the Saleen web site it is $29. Either way.....ya talked me in to it :winks Bought it direct from Saleen ( which by the way came out to $41 )
Probably be the best and cheapest mod I have bought!
Sorry about the $26, I got that from the thread that started this all for me a week or two ago. Yes, Saleen sells it for $29, not $26.

BUT, like you say, what can you buy out there right now that has better mod value?

·
Registered
767 Posts
5twenty said:
what can you buy out there right now that has better mod value?
A Sponge Bob Square Pants air freshner :laughlitt

·
Registered
161 Posts
i got the 3 pack sponge bob air fresheners. $2.39 at the base.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
5twenty said:
Last night I installed the Saleen short shift adapter.
There's one more way to know this is a good thing...your wife/girlfriend won't like it.
Ha! I like that! I just ordered the shift adapter from www.saleen.com and the sequential turn signals from www.webelectricproducts.com . Doubtless the orders will get here way before the dang car and it will compound my agony! Twist the knife, why don't I?

I will be in the garage, jack-standing by, waiting for the call that the car is here, waiting for me to come get it and install my adapter and go around the lake to start breaking it in [drool]

-David

1 - 20 of 78 Posts