Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have received for free 12 buckets of Marco #8 blasting media from a friend who has had it in his garage for about a year now. I'm wondering if I can use it to strip the paint off of my 68 mustang. I would need to rent a sand blaster because my current one is not nearly strong enough (couldn't take paint off of a valve cover) so what im wondering is what would be the propper CFM for the sand blaster for the job at hand as well as if I can use the #8 glass beads for stripping the paint and some rust.

·
Banned
7,170 Posts
be very careful! it is very easy to warp the metal when blasting a car. have seen many panels ruined by blasting. start slow and low p.s.i. take your time...:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would 90 CFM be a good blaster power to get? #8 glass beads are pretty soft for blasting

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My biggest concern really is if the #8 glass beads are strong enough to do the job? Media is expensive and if i can get it for free its alot easier to deal with but if it doesnt work then why waste my time?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've done autobody and paint and restoration for over 40 years and I wouldn't strip paint on a classic with anything but soda or plastic media period!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the #8 @ 90 psi would normally be o.k. it will depend on what type of paint and how many coats....
The paints pretty thick on it so much that when the previous owner backed into a mail box the paint barely chipped at all. It has lacquer in the paint too and thats all I really know about the car's paint job.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts