Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I was driving down the highway, just about the half-way point of a 3-1/2 hour drive, and the "tire pressure low" warning came on my dash . . . I pulled in to the next rest area, which luckily was coming right up, and sure enough there was a pretty fast leak in my right front tire, caused by a piece of glass of all things.

If not for the TPMS, I would have kept on driving and might not have noticed until the tire got real soft, and might have damaged the tire and/or the rim. With the TPMS, I was able to change the tire with no major issue other than some lost time.

This is actually the second (or third?) time that the TPMS has warned me about a low tire before I noticed myself. (Yes, I do know how to use a pressure gage . . . but I do not check my tire pressure every day before I drive the car) This car seems to be a flat magnet for some reason; in the two years I have owned this car I have had three (or four?) flats ; before that it had been about 20 years since I had a flat, not sure what's up with that . . .

So my point is -- TPMS really is a good thing. I often see posts "I don't need no stinking TPMS, I know how to use a pressure gage" . . . but how many people actually check their tire pressure every time they get in their car, much less check it while they are driving down the highway at 70+ MPH?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hey I agree with you. My mustang isn't new enough to have TPMS but my CX-9 has it and it saved me from tearing up a pretty pricey tire on there. Being that it's primarily my wife's car I don't spend a whole lot of time with it.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I totally agree with you. I've seen my warning twice and both times it saved the tire with a screw in it. But even with no punctures, it guards against pure neglect- If you heed the warning.

All the people trying to come up with a way to defeat the system are fools.

Frank

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
In and around Peoria, IL there are a lot of poeple collecting scrap metal and taking it to scrap yards for cash. Those scrap yards just happen to be about 2 miles south of the downtown area, so there is a lot of pieces of metal and scrap that fall out of the trucks/trailers onto the roads that are traveled frequently.

I really like the TPMS. Luckily I haven't had a flat yet, but there have been a couple of times that I've run things over on the road that I thought could possibly give me a flat. I take a lot of comfort knowing that if I were to have a flat, the TPMS would warn me before it was too late. Instead of being paranoid, I can just keep driving and get on with my life in peace.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Great, I too have to be thankful. I recently got the 2012 3.7 and the next
day after it was delivered the warning light came on. I put air in all tires,
it went off for a day. I purchased a tire guage and saw I had over inflated the tires to 55 lbs. A long trip may have blown a tire.:bigthumbsup

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.