Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to change the factory headunit in my 2013 base model. Was curious what everyone who has done this thinks of these two units? Any negatives on either one?

·
Registered
690 Posts
No direct experience here, but the Scosche, with a single din radio will be my second spring upgrade. An MGW shifter will be the first.

I'm getting the single din because there is little if any handy storage in the Mustang, and the single din radio will allow the second din space to be handy storage slot for phones, and such.

Tim

·
Banned
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been debating on both. I like scosche's touchscreen controls and how it looks. Just never really heard much on the Metra unit so was curious if anybody had hands on experience with either. Thanks for the input though

·
Registered
555 Posts
I have the Metra kit with the touchscreen. It works alright. I paired it with the AXXESS FRST wiring harness for my shaker system. The touchscreen works fine and isnt too bright or dim. It actually just runs in sync with the dash brightness turner.

I did the single din radio for more storage as well. I can say that the unit is pretty cheap compared to OEM, but it works and looks very close. Goodluck

Sent from my LT26i using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Banned
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I just went and bought the scosche kit and a new radio, so hopefully by the weekend I'll have pics up of the new setup

·
Registered
690 Posts
Well I just went and bought the scosche kit and a new radio, so hopefully by the weekend I'll have pics up of the new setup
I'd love to see some pics when you get it installed. It'd be great if you post any pearls of wisdom as well as far as things to look out for during the swap.

What radio did you end up buying? Did you get a pre-wired adapter to keep your steering wheel buttons working?

Tim

·
Banned
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually right before they shipped everything they told me the scosche kit had been recalled for the battery draining issues. But they sent the Metra touchscreen kit instead so waiting on shipping now. I ordered the pioneer avh-b4400 for the unit.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Yeah the Metra touchscreen is alright. I think you will like it. I passed on the Scosche because of the battery comments people had. I used the Pioneer DEH80PRS single din headunit.

You need the AXXESS FRST wiring harness if you have Sync in the shaker. Otherwise you can use a different harness. The FRST harness retains sync and also includes full steering wheel controls. Its like stock tbh.

I ended up unplugging the door woofers from the factory shaker, because they are soo muddy. Plus they are so close in the front that it made my new 10'' sub sound crappy. Once unplugged it sounded way better.

The Metra kit needed no configuring. Same with the wheel controls. As well as the Harness. Just all plug n play and it worked when I reconnected the negative terminal on the battery. It was great.

The headunit install with the Metra took me a day. But it was quite easy. I was just really taking my time. The speakers, subs, and amps was alot longer.

Sent from my LT26i using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Banned
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I went to go start the install this morning before I had work, but realized I had a whole lot of wires (wire harness, steering wheel adapter kit, parking brake overide) it took a lot to figure out the beginning, so hopefully will be out tomorrow morning to get it all finished up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I chose Metra because it has no buttons or battery drain issues.

I went the Metra route, and chose iDatalink Maestro as a harness, and a Kenwood DNX9990HD as the HU(I'd be saving a bunch of money if I weren't terrible with directions). Attached are images of what I have, it was my very first HU installation (I need to take apart and reground it as there is a hiss/feedback in speakers at low/no volume). I will do that when I have some time, for now I just turn it up past 8 :smilie

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
How do you like the kenwood so far with the maestro adapter? All your Sync functions still working ok?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Looks great. I'm thinking about going the double din route myself. I have not decided on which head unit yet. There aren't may units out there that have FLAC support except for the newer JVC units.

·
Registered
13 Posts
So far the Maestro has been serving my needs well. I mostly like that the steering wheel controls work as they did before, and as a bonus I can hold down the volume down on the wheel and it will attenuate (similar to mute) whatever is playing.

As for all the features of Sync... there was a step in the Maestro directions I did not feel comfortable following(given my limited electrical/car audio install skills). It indicated I needed to splice a particular cable into the Sync box which it indicated was under or behind the glove box. I'm certain at this point everything that I have working is independent of the Sync system.

So far on this Kenwood I have successfully used Bluetooth audio streaming from an iPhone 5(but not for calls yet), GPS, CD, and USB thumb drive for audio and video. I can't say I miss the Sync very much as the only thing I really grew attached to on it was the Bluetooth which the Kenwood does.

As for how I like the Kenwood overall, I like it a lot!! It is not however my first Kenwood. I had the DNX5140 in the past, and it was the Garmin integration that lead me back to Kenwood when I needed a double din for my current Mustang. Of all the GPS systems built into double din's that I tried in Best Buy or saw reviewed on YouTube, the Garmin w/Kenwood was the best in my opinion.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Looks great. I'm thinking about going the double din route myself. I have not decided on which head unit yet. There aren't may units out there that have FLAC support except for the newer JVC units.
While I can't really comment on the FLAC situation, as I am not really an audiophile, I can say if you currently have the OEM radio without NAV, getting a dual DIN with touch screen is quite the upgrade! Gives your car so many more options. Whether it is rear view camera, subs and amps, GPS built in, movie watching, better iPod integration, the list goes on.

And then there is the intangible bonus of the nice glow you get in your car when driving at night. IDK about you, but whenever I would pull up next to a car that had an aftermarket or OEM type system that had a touch screen based system, it made me feel like my Mustang was a second class vehicle compared to it. But not anymore. Again, that is just me and the tricks my mind plays on me though. :nogrinner

·
Registered
13 Posts
How do you like the kenwood so far with the maestro adapter? All your Sync functions still working ok?
In addition to everything I said in the last two posts, I wanted to address one thing in case anyone reading this was not aware. If you use the Maestro with a Kenwood that was made prior to 2013 models, you will not be able to add a SiriusXM tuner as the Maestro uses the 1 and only serial port on the Kenwood HU. THIS PISSED ME OFF QUITE ROYALLY AS I READ THE DIRECTIONS FOR INSTALLATION. Only certain Ford vehicles retain the Sirius after using the Maestro, but the Mustang is not one of them. I think the F150 or 250 and some other vehicles from Ford qualify. But because the Maestro made keeping the steering controls easy (I read bad reviews about other steering wheel control adapters from Metra and PAC online), as well as the overall ease of configuring the wiring harness lead me to keeping it. I did have to cancel my Sirius subscription though sadly enough. I am unwilling to pay for just mobile app access, and am not going to install a mobile Sirius into my vehicle to then run it via AUX into my Kenwood, which means controlling Sirius with yet another screen/device. So I will go back to downloading/ripping songs for my USB stick or get an iPod.

So in summary, know that 2012-older Kenwoods on Mustang=no Sirius. If you're getting the newer DNN990 receiver or another DNN 2013 based Kenwood, I don't see why you wouldn't get the Maestro!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thanks for the good info. I'm definitely leaning towards the 2013 Kenwood units but am waiting for more info/release date for the adapter on the right in the picture. I have emailed Kenwood and Maestro trying to get info on it but neither have answered me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts