Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those looking to add a monte carlo bar to their mustang, buy the ones made by scott drake! I had a straight bar (the crappy one made in taiwan) for my 65, I could not get the thing to fit in between the shock towers no matter what i did, (it was too long), then i went and bought a straight one made by scott drake, the thing dropped right in and fit perfectly! I had the same experience with the export brace, i had a taiwan one, could not get it to fit. I returned that one and got a scott drake export brace, which was a MUCH better fit. Also the scott drake export brace and monte carlo bar are much thicker and stronger, do not waste you time with cheap taiwan parts that do not fit!

·
Registered
44 Posts
whered u get a Taiwanese bar from?....scott drake is a pretty solid manufacturer of mustang parts and is the same bar and brace setup in my car and your right great fit and great improvement to stability

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can tell the scott drake monte carlo bars from the "OTHER" ones by that the scott drake bar has a thicker tube for the bar, the welds on the ends are much cleaner and the holes on the top of the ends are square to use carriage bolts if you want. The scott drake bars are somewhat new, came out earlier in the year, and few people sell them, i got mine from mustang depot in las vegas area, straight black for $20. Monte Carlo Bars The scott drake export braces are copied exactly from ford's orginal and are considered the "concours" brace, and are twice as strong as the cheaper export braces but are like $70 compared to $40 for the crappy ones.

·
Registered
895 Posts
You can tell the scott drake monte carlo bars from the "OTHER" ones by that the scott drake bar has a thicker tube for the bar, the welds on the ends are much cleaner and the holes on the top of the ends are square to use carriage bolts if you want. The scott drake bars are somewhat new, came out earlier in the year, and few people sell them, i got mine from mustang depot in las vegas area, straight black for $20. Monte Carlo Bars The scott drake export braces are copied exactly from ford's orginal and are considered the "concours" brace, and are twice as strong as the cheaper export braces but are like $70 compared to $40 for the crappy ones.

So how did you get yours for $20? Also do you work for a shop or dealer? Because you quoted right out of the SD catalog...:gringreen

·
Registered
159 Posts
I am not trying to start another rant about SD, but they will sell you some junk! Three years ago, I used a lot of their parts on my coupe and was pretty satisfied, but when building my fastback over the last year, it seemed the quality of some of their parts was suffering! The quality of overseas parts is not the necessarily the fault of the manufacturer, but the quality control of the companies commissioning the parts made.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I think a trend is forming in all kinds of purchases. People are starting to realize the "cheap" Asian brands are .......well ....CHEAP Asian brands.
Always ask when ordering!!!! Even at Autozone, NAPA, Advance...ask what it is before you order.

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
So how did you get yours for $20? Also do you work for a shop or dealer? Because you quoted right out of the SD catalog...:gringreen
Hello. :) That was my thought when I read the first post, also. Very seldom will you hear someone say good things about Scott Drake products that isn't getting paid by them to do that. But, I didn't want to just jump right in with that.. Even a blind hog finds an acorn every now and then. Maybe they are ok, and this gentleman is merely telling what he's seen. But, as this thread starts to develop, I'm beginning to lean back towards my original thought. :gringreen

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello. :) That was my thought when I read the first post, also. Very seldom will you hear someone say good things about Scott Drake products that isn't getting paid by them to do that. But, I didn't want to just jump right in with that.. Even a blind hog finds an acorn every now and then. Maybe they are ok, and this gentleman is merely telling what he's seen. But, as this thread starts to develop, I'm beginning to lean back towards my original thought. :gringreen
Are you saying Scott drake does not make good products? All i am saying is I had a monte carlo bar made by whoever... all the sticker said on the bar was made in taiwan, and it did NOT FIT cuz it was too long and had terrible welds on it, then i went and bought one made by scott drake and IT DID FIT VERY WELL, saved me alot of fustration, because I could of went and tried to jack my towers apart for a bar that was obviously not the right length.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I've gotten a number of parts from SD via various catalog retailers and have for the most part been happy with the quality and fit. However, I got one of their repro Ralley Pacs about a year ago and the tach quit working about two weeks ago. Checked all the connections and nothing is wrong there. I alerted them to the issue and they want me to to send them the unit. They will either fix or replace at no cost. I will reserve judgement on their service when I get it back and installed, but they do seem willing to stand behind their products.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.