Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! Picked up my '14GT last week. With the beautiful driving conditions this week, I've managed to put 500 miles on it!!! :yup:

Unfortunately, I also managed to pick up this scratch on the front passenger side fender. Anyway, I used some Meguiars and Mothers products with phenomenal success. I've seen many recommend not to wax a brand new car, but unfortunately due to the scratch removal process, I was forced to wax a small area around the fender.

Came out great and would recommend these products to anyone trying to get out small scratches and swirl marks. All of this work was done by hand in about 45 minutes. The scratch is not visible until you are at nose length from the car, at which point you can make out the imperfection (not sure if I can capture that on camera). Any advice on how to remove that last bit?

Before

After

·
Registered
657 Posts
That looks great. I always get a sense of conquering a challenge by doing whatever i can on my own to my stang.

·
Registered
939 Posts
looks great! now what products did you use?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
looks great! now what products did you use?
1) Wash - an older bottle of turtle wax: wash (because it didn't have a wax product interlaced within)

2) Meguiar's Ultimate Compound - Spent about 20 minutes hand buffing (approximately 3-4 coats). Used Simonize Terry Cloth pads for application.

3) Mother's California Gold: Brazilian Carnauba Wax - Used the paste as opposed to the liquid. I find it easier to ensure an even application once the paste dries. Wipe away with a clean Simonize microfiber cloth.

Like I said, there is a faint indentation where the object hit the car, but the paint looks good as new. When I ran my finger nail over the scratch, it was not felt, yet still there is line on the car where only I know something hit it :( I'm not sure if this can be removed or not. Possibly with a dual action buffer?

·
Registered
74 Posts
looks great and great choice with the color

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Cant believe theyre on 14s already.. Who said you cant wax the car? That car was painted long enough time ago that it can be waxed.
RC

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
yeah I did the same on my front lower fascia and used meguirs loved the results till I too am about a hair away

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
The before and after pics are simply amazing... the before pic is almost dull paint compared to the after result, you can almost see it dripping wet honey in the after pic !!!!

Really nice work man, I can't believe how the paint just popped in the second pic :bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
63 Posts
Looks great nothing like a Carnauba Wax.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all!

Just wanted to toss something out to the forum members for input:

When washing all the rags/towels/pads from my repair, I noticed a pink hue (paint stripping?) on the terry cloth pads. Is this normal when using compound? From my understanding the compound breaks down some of the chemical properties of the paint in order to "spread" it over/fill in the scratched area. Having never done a repair like this myself, I just wanted to know if this is an expected part of the buffing process?

Oh and P.S. the before and after pics were taken at different times of day and in different lighting conditions. This partially explains the drastic difference. But I assure you that it is noticeably better looking than even the factory paint when I picked it up about 2 weeks ago, and the scratch is certainly gone! I didn't clay my car on delivery (I notice many other have), and now I'm thinking that's my next project based on the results from this repair! :bounce2:

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Take some 3000 wet and dry sand paper, using some Dawn soap in a bucket of warm water, soak the sand paper in the water a sand the effected area until the edge your feeling is gone then rebuff as you already have. It will be totally gone now. :bigthumbsup

S

·
0 Posts
The 3000G Wet sand is good........But..........That Paint is still to new for a non profesional to be trying..........If the OP wants that tiny indentation to be gone......Get some "Race Glaze" Leveling Compond (for HAND or DA use) This is what every Top Shelf body shop uses:bigthumbsup ............It is made by a CO. called "Simply The Best" ..........This stuff is freaking amazing!! As it has NO Abrasives in it! (Which is VERY IMPORTANT WHEN WORKING ON A 3 STAGE PAINT JOB like ours!!) It works by changing the chem. covalent bond in the Clearcoat, Thereby slightly softening the CC. then it fills in the scratch like magic!! WITHOUT Sticking to your microfiber cloth!!.....I have been using it for years and you cant believe how it works, I **** you not!!.....Get this stuff, you will Never look at another product for scratches!.........I have fixed even Deep scratches on peoples cars with Race Glaze, only to have them think that it was repainted!.............PS. I have absolutely nothing to gain from the company, I am not a compensated user..................I have just spent many hours hanging around my buddies body shop (and have spoken to many more body men) and they all swear by this product! Even over the product that comes closest to resembling it (3M leveling compound) and they say its not even a close 2nd!!..........You can only get this either online, or a car paint outlet.............Go to their website and check the testomonials................Dont get me wrong!....I use Meguires products too. ie their "Ultimate Tech Wax 2.0" but when there is any paint damage ie. scratches, Bird stains, rail dust, or heavy enviromental fallout.......You have to go professional, get the Race Glaze...................Sean

S

·
0 Posts
Oh, and to Canuck89. Your Cearcoat is "Tinted" with a Candy type additive, even though it is not called a "Candied" paint, like the previous (RZ) Red-Candy Color. The new (RR) Red-Ruby still has a red Tint added to the Clear.........That is the reason that you saw a pinkish hue on your Pad......Unless that is, that your scratch was SO Deep that you went into the 2nd phase of the paint, which I highly doubt:winks .......................Sean

1 - 15 of 15 Posts