Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I made a tight right out of a parking lot and scratched the edge of one of my nice silver bullitt rims. I am planning on doing a fix myself with my dremel tool. Anyone ever try this? I figure I can use a grinding bit and finish it off with some of the polishing accessories. The edge of the rim does not seem to me to be clear coated in anyway, so I think I am safe to give it a try. If it comes out ok, I'll post the results.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
The first time I scratched my rims, I punched my tire. The second time I did it, I quit caring.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Monkey Boy said:
The first time I scratched my rims, I punched my tire. The second time I did it, I quit caring.
My car came with rims that had a few scratches, so I just skipped that 1st step :thumbsup

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey GreenStang-

Just found your post after lightly curbing a rim tonight. :sosad:

Did you ever try the fix with the Dremel tool? How did it come out? Please let me know- I can't bear driving around with a scratch. Anywhere!

Thanks

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
gibb409 said:
Hey GreenStang-

Just found your post after lightly curbing a rim tonight. :sosad:

Did you ever try the fix with the Dremel tool? How did it come out? Please let me know- I can't bear driving around with a scratch. Anywhere!

Thanks
if you use a dremel, you're gonna lose more paint, which can oxidize the wheels pretty badly . ..

That would be my only concern.

You could always just buy 4 more wheels for shows, etc., they're cheap enough . ..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yikes! I already did it, but I have the Premium wheels that came with the GT, not Bullitts, so there's no paint involved. Do you think I should touch up the affected part of the wheel with clearcoat?Thanks

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
gibb409 said:
Yikes! I already did it, but I have the Premium wheels that came with the GT, not Bullitts, so there's no paint involved. Do you think I should touch up the affected part of the wheel with clearcoat?Thanks
I don't know, but I ruined a set of mags that way in the 80s . . .

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey haven't checked the board in a bit...had a kid. SO no I never did the dremel tool on the one rim I scratched. I am hopeing to do it this spring. I don't think I have to worry about paint because I scratched the edge by the tire. It appears to be only aluminum. I will use a fine grinding tip and then finish it off with a polish tip. I'll also be masking the tire in case I rub against the rubber at all. To be honest though, when the car is clean up and shinning, you really cannot notice the scratches unless you are right on top of the tire. I just know they are there.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
GreenStang511 said:
Hey haven't checked the board in a bit...had a kid. SO no I never did the dremel tool on the one rim I scratched. I am hopeing to do it this spring. I don't think I have to worry about paint because I scratched the edge by the tire. It appears to be only aluminum. I will use a fine grinding tip and then finish it off with a polish tip. I'll also be masking the tire in case I rub against the rubber at all. To be honest though, when the car is clean up and shinning, you really cannot notice the scratches unless you are right on top of the tire. I just know they are there.
Congrats on the kid! Boy or Girl?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks!!! Boy....Logan's his name and he is 1 month old today!! :green

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.