Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats the best way to remove the tiny scratches in the clear coat? will buffing remove them or do you need to have another clear coat put on?:?: ive tried waxing but that didnt work. clear coat and paint job really not that great on these cars. when i rub my hand along car some areas hav like a fine grit on the surface while other areas seem fine , but more areas are not quite right . seems like they really dont take time to paint at factory and try to just do minimal application, they need to put on 3 or 4 coats of clear. so just need to find the answer . hoping a good buff and wax will fix , trying to be optomistic. thx , vynle :sosad:

·
Registered
10 Posts
machine polish by a pro to avoid swirl marks. The old power buffer with the fine grit polishing compound isn't as efffective as it used to be. Dark colors are even more unforgiving than they were years ago.

·
Registered
56 Posts
paint on these cars suck. To rremove small scratches (as long as they are surface scratches) you need to polish it with a high speed buffer. If you don't know how to do it then you need to take it to a reputable detail shop.

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
vynle said:
...............when i rub my hand along car some areas hav like a fine grit on the surface while other areas seem fine , but more areas are not quite right .........
That part sounds like you need a clay bar.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Stoenr said:
That part sounds like you need a clay bar.
Sure does... Probably contaminants like rail dust and others. Clay bar will take car of that, followed by a scratch remover, polish and wax coat. A good Porter Cable buffer or even something else will really help doing the job right.

·
Registered
142 Posts
The Wax Shop's Safe Cut is a product highly recommended by my bodyshop. Use it in long wipes along the length of the vehicle, instead of in circular motions as the instructions say. A few applications gently evens out the paint and creates a really wonderful, deep, reflective shine. Very easy to apply and wipe off. It beads up nicely on it's on, but I follow it up with a protective layer of NXT Tech Wax.

Also Meguiars Scratch X is good for small, more pronounced scratches in the paint... spot treatments.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thx . ford just really seems to skimp when it comes to painting these cars.ill prob. trey a good detail shop first to see if they can fix .ill try to watch so as i can learn so when i detail i can do it myself. the finish should feel like glass right? when done correctly.

·
Registered
622 Posts
vynle said:
thx . ford just really seems to skimp when it comes to painting these cars.ill prob. trey a good detail shop first to see if they can fix .ill try to watch so as i can learn so when i detail i can do it myself. the finish should feel like glass right? when done correctly.
better than glass :laughlitt

·
Registered
193 Posts
Mine has little chip like spots in places i wouldnt have thought could get hit with any rocks or such. I got it in March and it has 1700 miles on it. Kept under a soft cover and never abused. Its got orange peel bad especialy around the quarter windows. Ive had to the dealer 3 times for TSB's and they damaged it each time and they even knocked a chunk out of my upgraded wheels too fixing a nail. The only damage done to it has been by the dealer. I dont hold any hope my paint issues will be addressed. I am a first time Ford buyer. I love the car but im a little soured on Ford corp.

·
Registered
5 Posts
04 mustang peeling Help

I took my mustang to a detailer the big dealers use. after I got it back the scratches were less but still there and the clear coat peeling was just as bad but more prevalent. The peeling is happing on my hood, sides, and back of the car to include small bubbles and grit feeling. The body shop recommended a new paint job for the hole car because they found rust under the hood. Is anyone else having this problem?
Help
Q

·
Registered
134 Posts
As long as the scratches are at the clear coat level there is no need to go to a body or to have them buffed out. There are a number of products at your local auto store that will work fine. I have used the Scratch Doctor from Nu Finish many times and it works great.

·
Registered
5 Posts
detailer on 04

I took the car to the dealer ship and they recomended a repaint. This is on a 04 mustang because of clear coat peeling.

·
Registered
352 Posts
remember not all detail shops are good, it's hard to find a good shop, the good ones will have a portfolio and people that will give them good reviews, first I agree it'll need to be clay bar. than high speed polished/waxed. a little trick you can do when there done with your car is to take the wrapper off a pack of cigs put your fingers between the wrapper and lightly pull across paint if it's done right you'll feel it be like "glass" if not you'll feel all the imperfections with the wrapper. yes most American autos have poor paint compared to euros/Japanese. good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks Ill keep that in mind, it makes sense, but this detailer is one the top dealers use, so im kinda at a loss. I also know Im sounding hardheaded but the amount of damage on my car is abit more then just buffing. If seems the more I look the more I find so I dont even want to look at my car anymore, and thats bad, because I love that car. If Ford is skimping on paint jobs I think they should take responsiblity for it. I have found that numourous cars and suvs from fords finally did get noticed for having bad paint applilcations from 00-05. Mustangs were not listed.
I have noticed a trend on this and other sites 04, 05 mustangs are having the same problem Im having, people are just handling it by new paint or extreme buffing out of thier own pocket.
Im willing to take responsiblity for whatever, like minor pings from rocks ect. but this goes way beyond.
I dont know what else to say but I guess Im going to take it up with ford.
Ill keep it posted
Q

·
Registered
25 Posts
if you don't no how to buff don't try it because if you burn threw you are crewed i no i am a body man and have to fix this kind of thing a lot
but a good buffing will take it out

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.