Ford Mustang Forum banner

Scratches/scuffs after washing

4K views 28 replies 18 participants last post by  fake 
#1 ·
Good evening Gents,

I just finished washing my black 2013 mustang and notice there is now light scratching/scuffing on the hood.... I followed the advice i have seen on this forum... two buckets, micofiber sponge, using a caranuba wash/wax, an absorber to dry it. I think this is from my last washing... I wash from top to bottom, plenty of suds to sweep the dirt off.

Any tips to prevent this from happening again? I would hate for my beautiful black coat to get any more damaged.

Also, is there anyway to cover these scratches?

I am attaching a photo from two parts of the hood, a part where these scuffs arent, and the other with scuffs. The scuff picture looks horrible because I angled the camera and light so they would show, otherwise you can't really see them unless youre looking. Either way I really want to get rid of these.

Thank you for any help!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
What are you drying it with?

My advice, get a gallon of detail spray from chemicalguys.com. Mix it 1:1 with DISTILLED water.

This is what you do...

After you rinse off the soap, spray the car down with some of the detail spray. Then use a MICROFIBER towel.. one that is reserved only for drying.. and one that NEVER touches the ground.. and dry the car off. Start with the glass to get the towel a little damp.

#5 ·
I would use a microfiber mitt instead of a sponge. After washing my car I use a leaf blower to blow the bulk of the water off, mist the body with Eagle Wax while you Dry spray and then dry with a microfiber towel as suggested above.

#8 ·
is there a user friendly product to reduce the appearance of the scratches?
Depending on the severity of the micro scratches you may have to go to a swirl remover, you might get some improvement from a polish as well, they tend to have "fillers" and cleaners to reduce the appearance of micro scratches. I would recommend looking at www.AutoGeek.net for your waxing and polishing products.

#7 ·
You definitely want to use a high quality mitt. I used an Absorber for many years, but you always run the risk of getting something on it. And there's no where for it to hide. It just gets dragged around. I personally like to use a blower to get most of the water off, then use a thick cotton towel to finish the job.

#10 ·
When is the last time you waxed it? Any decent wax will reduce the appearance of those scuffs.. that paint looks bone dry. Try using a cleaner wax (any brand) and after about a week start using a cream-type wax once a month. Its a black car.. so that is needed. The cream waxes (chem guys butter wax) is super easy to put on and take off.

If you get a caranuba based detail spray, that will also keep a layer of protection on between washes.

I daily drove my black 07 for 35,000 miles.. and only hand washed/waxed (no buffers or fancy crap) and it was swirl/scratch free. If you get a good coat of wax on it, it will stay cleaner longer. It is worth the effort up front to get a lasting finish.

#11 ·
I detailed cars years ago, but don't keep too many products on hand these days. I got hooked on Zaino 12 years ago and rarely use much else. Once you get the hang of not using to much of it, it's just about the easiest thing in the world to use.

I personally haven't run across too many scratches that need anything terribly aggressive to do the job. A standard polish might do the job by itself. But if not, start with something fairly tame. I had a couple nastys on my car from the washes at the dealership and it wasn't anything Zaino PC Fusion couldn't handle.

Z-PC Fusion Dual Action Paint Cleaner Swirl Remover: Zaino Store

Of course you can't stop there :hihi: You need a couple other products.

#25 ·
Amen! +1 I use several Zaino products, most with a da buffer and the results are amazing!

#13 ·
I have the same problem with my 2013 black GT. The paint seems so easy to swirl/scratch compared to other black vehicles I have owned. Here is what I did to remove the swirls/scratches and to keep them to a minimum in the future:

To remove the swirls:
Wash with a good microfiber mitt, two bucket method
Dry by flow water over the paint at a low rate by removing the spray nozzle and turnign the water supply down (this will let the water sheet off), followed by a leaf blower, then followed by micro fiber towels (I found that "The Absorber" was leaving some scratches)
Clay bar
Mequiars Ultimate Compound
Meguiars Ultimate Polish
Meguiars Ultimate Wax

I did the compound, polish, and wax by hand using a good technique as not to leave pressure marks. Next time I will use a DA polisher as my shoulders are 42 years old and not 24 anymore.

Now when I was the car I use Meguiars Ultimate wash, followed by low flow water rinse, leaf blower, micro fiber towel and the swirls/scratches are kept to a minimum.

PS I am not endorsing Meguiars but there products are readily available at Wal-Mart and do a great job especially for the price and their customer service was great at answering a few questions that I had. They have a pretty good web site with some helpful advice there also.

#14 ·
This right here is the reason I do not hand wash my car. It doesnt see bad weather so I dont have to worry about much build up but I always use the Touchless was. Does a great job

#15 ·
Back in my college days, I used to work at a bimmer dealership as a pro detailer.

Really what you can do to get rid of the spiderwebbing after a hand wash is to go through a power polish. That sucks. You don't want to do that every time you wash.

Any cloth you can use, if it gets even the smallest spec of dirt, can creat scratches.

Avoid that by

1) Start by rinsing your car with a pressure washer, at an adequate distance so you're not blasting your paint

2) soap cycle, if your pressure washer has it, is great. If not, a microfiber or wash mitt is best to soap the car, but don't press down too hard.

3) long, nice pressure washer rinse

4) mist rinse - the tiny droplets exposed to more surface area will take up easier

5) use a microfiber, chamois, or whatever soft thing (not a towel or shop towel because they leave behind lint and are more abraisive) to take up the excess water. Note if you get to a part that's still dirty, wash that part again, and keep your chamois clean

6) Use a microfiber cloth and a quick detailer (like Maguires) to finish up your detailing job. You can use a tire shine polymer on plastic parts but note this: that does not make something clean, it just makes it shiny. It won't stop browning of tires or greying of black textured plastic unless it's absolutely clean first.

Use this process every wash, in addition to a good wax per year, I've driven through 3 winters, and NO chips, spiderwebs, or anything like that. My race red paint is still like looking into a bright red mirror.

Except on the bumper where the factor clear coat is peeling :banghead:

#16 ·
stop using the absorber, all you need are microfiber towels. any little speck of dirt that gets in the absorber will scratch into the paint.

welcome to the fun world of black paint!

#17 ·
yep thats why i invested in a metro airforce blaster. It was some of the best money i've ever spent. you might think its expensive and overkill but once you use it one time you will not go back to wiping. no risk of swirls or scratching.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#21 ·
+1 On the McGuire's. I've tried using both Zaino and Adam's swirl removers, but they didn't do much. I used the ultra cut compound and finish polish, and the results were just what I was looking for. Removed the moderate swirls I had put on my finish when I inadvertently used a dirty/contaminated pad with my Porter-Cable. =\

Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish : Amazon.com : Automotive

Found this complete kit on Amazon;

Meguiars Porter Cable XP Ultra Polish Kit with 5.5 Inch Pads : Amazon.com : Automotive

Whatever route you take to correct the swirls, you need to figure out what is causing them. A good start would be the Chemical Bros. wash bucket and Ultra Suds II wash. I love the Adam's polishes wash mitt. I have Amazon Prime so I always order from them. This drying towel works great and these MF towels are my favorite for removing the McGuire's.

Viking Microfiber Waffle Weave Drying Towel - 9 Square Feet : Amazon.com : Automotive

MONSTER MICROFIBER EXTREME THICKNESS Microfiber Towel W/Black Silk Edges [16x16] (3 Pack) : Amazon.com : Automotive

#26 ·
What I've found to be helpful is a touchless wash just before hand washing. Works for me. No micro scratches

G
#27 ·
The best (and IMO only) way to wash a car without scratching is the Garry Dean Wash Method. One bucket, a bunch of microfibers - wipe one panel, then put the towel somewhere else. Never reintroduces dirt back into the water, it stays 100% clean.

Everyone has their own choice of wash. I use ONR - it's a fantastic no-rinse solution. Environmentally friendly, uses very little water, and portable so you can wash anywhere. I used it on my black GTI with road salt in PA, not a single scratch or swirl anywhere on that car.

But, most important is technique.
The Garry Dean Wash Method GDWM Infinite Use Detail Juice Anywhere Wash Bucket Waterless Car Wash Auto Wash Rinseless Car Wash - YouTube

Edit: Second video on GDWM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S39_fKxDbUA

#28 ·
If you haven't put a paint sealer/protector on it yet you need to do that. I'd recommend that you strip the wax, use a clay bar and then apply a couple coats of sealant/protector before you try anything drastic to repair minor swirls. This may be all you need to do.
I have a kona blue and had the same issue after the dealer did a "courtesy wash" on mine before delivery. After a clay and 2 coats of protectant all the swirls and minor scratches were gone. I use Blackfire Wet Diamond protectant. Whatever you decide to do, before you go waxing it, you need to use some type of protectant - it will help also protect against future minor swirls.

#29 ·
Blackfire Wet Diamond FTW!! I used zaino for 5 years. No more... Blackfire is so easy and IMO, has a better shine and clarity than zaino.

2011 5.0

17 year old 1997 Cobra with 148k.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.