Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got an SCT tuner for my 1998 V6.

So far it has a CAI and 245/45/R17 tires. I will be doing underdrive pulley's and changing to an 8.8 rear keeping the stock 3.27 gears

I know after the rear end swap I'll need to program my computer so the speedometer will work right, however the computer I got did not come with any custom tunes.

How could I get a tune file that changed this (it would be nice if the tune file also accounted for the other mods I have done and want to do)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh okay, well I'm pretty sure my car has a governor at 110mph, wouldn't the rear end swap affect this? (it would think its going 110 before it gets there and then stops my car from accelerating)

Also, do you know what gear I would need to get for the speedo to work right?

·
Registered
6,158 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm, this is starting to sound complicated now, but I really want to do it! Could someone help me out by telling me where the speedo gear is in the transmission then? And what I would need to do to change it out?

Also if I change out this gear in the transmission, this would adjust both the speedometer reading in the car and keep the governor from shutting me down early, right?

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
maybe metalman302 can explain it to you, i dont have the same kind of speedometer setup as you, in later years they changed it to an electronic sensor. but from what i understand, it's like one or two bolts/screws and the sending unit comes off and you pull out and drop the new gear right in. its located somewhere near the tailshaft of the transmission. stick your head under there and see if you can spot it.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Google a writeupwith pics or YouTube video for a speedo gear swap on a foxbody. There might be instructions on the AM or LRS site. The foxbody procedure will be the exact same.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ahh thank you sir! I'm pretty sure I can see it under there. Now all I need to do is figure out what gear I need to get and swap it out, looks simple enough to do the swap, not sure how to determine what gear to get though

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Speedo CAN be fixed with the tuner, if you buy tunes, go to americanmuscle.com, buy their bam tunes thing they have, then u can get lifetime tunes, if u bought ur tuner there then u probably already have the life time tunes, either way u call in to american muscle and order new tunes and they will send u to a site where you put info in, including tire size, there is also a comment section you can put that you have a 8.8 swap and the stock gears for the 8.8... they will send you the tune via email with the tune, AND by them tuning for you they will make sure the speedo will read correctly....

Oops I didn't read that it was a 98... yeah ur screwed with the speedo and tuner not fixing it...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
550 Posts
If you keep the same gears after the swap you won't need to fix the speedo. Nothin is changing except for the size of your axles and differential. Neither of which affects the speedo.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 12 of 12 Posts