Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been following the the thread for the 3.7 but did not want to h/j since we're talking different cars. I called and talked to Fred at evolution and and learned that their tuning WILL disable skip-shift on manuals. I am interested in the 91 and 93 Agressive Tune. They have the combo price with the Steeda cai in stock right now. He said it will take about 45 minutes to install the cai. I know the stock box is cai. The combo is nearly double the price of the programmer alone. Do you guys think that adding Steeda cai will make that big of a diff? I prefer the ease of just returning the car to stock programming when visiting Ford service but dont want the engine to starve for air either. I am aware a field tech can prove you've used a tuner if they really want to. But still, it is always best to return stock programming when visiting the dealer so they don't write over your tune. Sometimes techs they will do that to install updates without even telling you.

Combo Packages : Evolution Performance, Performance Parts & Accessories - Ford Mustang & Shelby Experts

·
Registered
177 Posts
They say about 12whp diff with the cai, so it comes down to if you want that extra 12whp. It will be a quick install, so you an always switch it back to stock..

The cai is expensive so you can always wait till there are more out there maybe pick one up for 200 ish

·
Registered
871 Posts
I have a 2011 base GT with 3.73 gears and I just installed a Steeda CAI with SCT/Steeda tune and it is well worth the money.I'll be putting my car on the dyno and getting a custom tune once my exhaust is installed.I realize some of it may be the awesome sound of this new intake but there is a noticeable seat of the pants difference when I get on the throttle.

It really wakes this beast up and it was a breeze to install.It's amazing how much has changed in the last 20 years since my last new Mustang 5.0:D The Steeda CAI is topnotch quality and everything fit with no problems whatsoever.I only changed a few options in the tune to match my gear/tire combo and I also removed the speed limiter and raised the rpm limit to 7300rpm

this is all done prior to downloading the tune and it was so simple my 9 year old daughter could do it.The tune that comes with the SCT 3015 from Steeda works very well with this CAI and I'm going to run it with my Magnaflow comp series catback and X-pipe if it ever gets here.I'll keep you guys updated on my mods and I'll get some pics when I get a chance.

·
Registered
344 Posts
"beastly 'stang!"

Hey 11FiveGo, just picked my triple black 2011 'Stang up from JMS Chip & Performance on Thursday and I have been enjoying every second of it since! First off, JMS installed the Steeda ProFlow CAI, MagnaFlow Cat-Back Tru-X-Pipe Street Series 3" mandrel bent exhaust system and performed a custom agressive 93 octane dyno tune to the car and just like Zilla8 mentioned, this 'Stang is truly a BEAST! Period! I picked up 30 rwhp (dyno proven) in just a fourth gear pull! The car now boasts approximately 507.6 hp at the flywheel and is more than enough for the street IMO. :worship Keep in mind my car ONLY had 255 miles on the ODO when the dyno and mod's were performed on Thursday (July 15, 2010) so I had them do the dyno pull in fourht gear rather than fifth (1:1 ratio) gear. Optimally these cars should be dynoed in fifth gear with mileage on the ODO (around 2,000 miles) to get the full potential out of the car without killing the engine. I had JMS perform four seperate dyno's on the car. A baseline (stock configuration), one with the exhaust installed, one with the Tune and exhaust and one with the Steeda CAI installed and believe it or not the Steeda CAI provided the most rwhp out of all three mod's! This Steeda CAI is absolutely an incrediblly performing and designed CAI...probably the VERY best on the market right now! ;)

The piston rings have not fully seated so my tuner informed me a fourth gear pull would have to suffice. Remember, a fifth gear dyno pull requires approximately 14 seconds to perform so we chose not to do the dyno in fifth gear until after the motor is broke in. :yup:

I believe the motor is good for another 15-25 rwhp once the motor is broke in and we are able to do a fifth gear dyno pull. Irregardless of the numbers this car is really quick I promise you that with those 3.73 gears this car will absolutely keep up with a stock 2011 Shelby GT500 without a doubt! This car is a BEAST! :nogrinner She is much more responsive and sounds 'oh so sweet! The stock sound was just a little too mellow and subtle sounding so we had to make her sound like a real 'Stang and the MagnaFlow's certainly made her sound more aggressive and deeper without drone and that horrible crackle sond you often times hear with performance exhaust systems. I can't say enough GREAT things about my tuner (JMS Performance & Chip, LLC) as they are the BEST in the business IMO! :gringreen

I agree with 11FiveGo, is a good idea to return the car to stock tune prior to taking the car to Ford service department just in case to avoid any warranty issues. It seems like the SCT X3 tuning device is a good versatile one so far. :shiny:

I have posted pics of the modding process and a video of the 'Stang on the dyno (without sound...sorry about that) in my Member's Gallery under my Member profile if you are interested. Well I wish each one of my fellow Mustang brethren the VERY best with your new 'Stangs as these cars are the true ULTIMATE driving machines! Take care and have a great weekend! Jack :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
226 Posts
I dont like the steeda intake because its the same as stock with a cone filter. Not worth almost $400 to me. As far as the tune goes, going back to stock makes it look like the negative battery cable was disconnected.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Guys,

Installed the (Steeda) CAI & Evo tune yesterday, it's Truly Outrages, if Anyone is on the Fence about getting this Combo I have Two Words DO IT!!! It was 91degrees with a Dewpoint of 68 out there during my Road test, I dropped the tires to 26psi and did a Lite Burn out. Going from a Dead Stop just mashing it, as Soon as it gets to ~5700 it Spins, goes to redline and BAM Chirps(Nasty Spin) into 2nd, same with third, and PULLS like Crazy to 120 where I got out of it..sound is improved to (Intake sound).

There IS One rather Big Problem though, with the Traction Contron 100% Off (Button Hold down for 5 seconds) it Hits 2nd SOO Hard that the traction control Kicks in and Kills it!! This happens ~ Once every 3 or so passes....How is this Happening with the TC OFF?????

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replies good info!

There IS One rather Big Problem though, with the Traction Contron 100% Off (Button Hold down for 5 seconds) it Hits 2nd SOO Hard that the traction control Kicks in and Kills it!! This happens ~ Once every 3 or so passes....How is this Happening with the TC OFF?????
Be sure to step on the brake while holding down the button until u see "Advancetrac Off" on the display then TC + ESC is completely shut off.

As far as the tune goes, going back to stock makes it look like the negative battery cable was disconnected.
Okay thats a new one for me. I've covered this topic in depth on another forum and learned there is a permanent engine counter that indicates a date and time of reset with an electronic code for authentication. Everytime you program there will be a reset. If Ford reprograms it is authenticated.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.