Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering do you think its a good or bad idea to activate the Economy Fuel option on your SCT Tunes. I heard that it limits the fuel and can cause knocking in the engine. Just wanted to know peoples opinions.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Just wondering do you think its a good or bad idea to activate the Economy Fuel option on your SCT Tunes. I heard that it limits the fuel and can cause knocking in the engine. Just wanted to know peoples opinions.
A Mustang is NOT ment to be Fuel Efficent, if you want a Fuel Efficent FORD you should have bought a Focus:gringreen Now dont take me the wrong way but (you) Guy's that are worried about getting better Gas Mileage from your Stang (and Im NOT referring to You) should have just left your Stangs Stock and Not put on a CAI and bought a Tuner. Im getting tired of saying this.....93 Octane Gas is Just 20 Cents More a Gallon to buy than 87 Octane, so that figures out to mabey about $4 a Gallon more to fill up with 93 than 87. If $4 is gonna Break you then you should'nt have bought a Mustang, or one that requires a Good 93 Octane Tune to make it Run like it should.
Im not going to get into what $4 will buy or what you spend it on, on a everday occasion.....a Beer, less than a half a pack of Cigs, a Iced Cap at Timmy Hoes, ect, ect, Im gonna say it one more time, filling up with 93 Octane Gas gets you Better Gas Mileage than using 87 Octane, as long as you dont Floor it all the time, so it evens itself out when you use 93 vs 87.
Again Im NOT Referring to YOU, but if your worried about how much Money your spending on Gas or want Better Gas Mileage than you should have gone GREEN:gringreen Lifes too short to worry about spending an extra $4 when you fill up.
I've Never had My Engine Knock using 93 Octane Gas, if you need and are worried about Gas Mileage Buy a Prius and spend Thousands more to get it, if you want Preformance and FUN, spend the extra $4 a Tankfull and Live:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
By the way, if that Grabber Orange V8 Stang is more than you can afford to put Gas in, it's just what Im looking for:bigthumbsup She Looks SWEET and I'd run 93 Octane in that Baby all the time with a 93 BAMA Race Tune and never think about Fuel Economy, I'd be worried more about buying new tires:gringreen

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will be honest, I use my stang as a daily driver in heavy traffic, so if I can save some money I will try to do so and my question was to know if the option was worth it since SCT advertises that there tuner that costs quite a lot helps in fuel economy. I will not race my car, unlike in the states not a lot of people try to here since we have such bad roads, bad drivers and loads of cops.

No offense but but you have the greatest fuel economy mode V6 haha

·
Registered
305 Posts
Damn I hate when you Americans use Gallons in our Canadian threads, hahaha jk:bigthumbsup. He is right about the whole it not being much more to run better gas and the fact that dude IT'S A MUSTANG. And if you'd like better fuel efficiency I will straight up trade you My Grabber Orange V6 for your V8.........I would drive the f**k out of that thing, my mouth is watering just thinking aboot it:gringreen

Also a few less trips to Timmy's wouldn't help either......I heard that it'll kill you:nono::laugh:

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
you might do better ditching the 4.10`s and putting the 3.31 in it than running that tune.

since your getting offers, ive got this slightly modded V6 too that still gets great mileage. and it has a nice leather armrest :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just wanted to know more about the option on my SCT, not gonna change my current settings which are great, also I ove my mustang not even considering getting rid of it, I love the 4.10 kick when I stomp the gas from light to light, cannot get rid of that. But cuttings Timmys is hard its a canadien thing, gotta love those icedcaps

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
I just wanted to know more about the option on my SCT, not gonna change my current settings which are great, also I ove my mustang not even considering getting rid of it, I love the 4.10 kick when I stomp the gas from light to light, cannot get rid of that. But cuttings Timmys is hard its a canadien thing, gotta love those icedcaps
Yea you have a Great Mustang, I would'nt sell it either:bigthumbsup Put the Pedal to the Floor and let Her Run:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
65 Posts
If I had a GT mustang, then the last thing I would be worrying about is MPG. :winks That car is meant to have fun and worry about the bills later! What kind of bumper do you have on the front? It looks pretty sweet..the orange looks amazing man.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its the GTCS front, and thanks

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
4.10's should use less gas than higher ratio gears in stop-and-go driving. However, not stomping on the gas pedal at every stop light will improve your car's mpg without doing anything else.

WRT the SCT's fuel economy option, just try it. If the engine runs ok and the mpg increases, you're good to go. If the engine pings and/or the mpg decreases, disable it.

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
4.10's should use less gas than higher ratio gears in stop-and-go driving. However, not stomping on the gas pedal at every stop light will improve your car's mpg without doing anything else.

WRT the SCT's fuel economy option, just try it. If the engine runs ok and the mpg increases, you're good to go. If the engine pings and/or the mpg decreases, disable it.
good advice. make sure its tuned up as best it can be, air up the tires good, and thats all you get. i do get much better mileage with the race tune and 93 octane than i get from the 87 performance tune. and that was even before the ethanol came into play this past year. i havent gone back to 87 for 2 yrs now :)

·
Registered
332 Posts
I thought I heard that the performance tune doesn't hurt MPG if you don't drive the car like a bat out of hell. :confused:

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Fuel efficent what's that. I just figure if I wanted an economy car I would buy one, I think they are as boring as cubicles. My wife suggest that I get one to use as a dd and just take my Mustang out on occasion, the problem is I wouldn't drive it if I had one.

·
Registered
10,662 Posts
My mustang is my daily driver and I see the benefit of having decent gas mileage when you want it, and also good performance when you want that -- you CAN have your cake and eat it too. That is, if you consider ~27 MPG highway "decent mileage" -- not bad in my book.

But yeah, the 4.10 gears are going to make quite a dent in that and the tune is not going to make that big of a difference.

Back to the original question -- I am not sure, but my guess is that the SCT fuel economy option leans the mixture a little bit at light throttle and makes no difference at heavy throttle. This should improve easy cruising mileage and make no difference when you get on it. But -- I have no experience with it.

Does anyone know if the built-in SCT options change only that one parameter, or does it change the whole tune? In other words if you already have a Bama tune installed, and then play with that fuel economy option, does it over-write the whole tune or just change the air/fuel mix or whatever other individual settings?

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Jbert. You say you get 27mpg with your 3.31s?

Well I get 24mpg with my 4.10s on an 06. I wouldn't consider that a "quite" a dent. On a full tank, you'll get less than 50 more miles. On the highway.
In the city, I'll probably get better MPG than you. :p :winks

But I totally agree with you that's is fine to look for better MPG, no matter what car you're driving.

·
Registered
10,662 Posts
Hi Chris -- well, yeah, I would call 3 mpg or 12% "quite a dent" or maybe a "significant dent" or maybe not a huge dent or a "totalled" ;) . . . . but surely more than the economy tune might make up for.

Also we might be comparing apples and oranges; my "roughly 27" is door-to-door including a good bit of highway and the back roads to get there . . . if I press reset while cruising down the highway it's more like 29.

In any case, like you say it's pretty decent either way (3.31 or 4.10) regardless, though you probably have more fun with the 4.10's.

I might try some 3.73's just for fun . . . could be a good compromise.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Are you guys doing the math the right way when calculating MPG or are you taking the information centers word for it?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts