Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I insane for considering the Ford Racing Procal over the SCT? I'm not greatly concerned about the most hp, etc. 91 or 93 octane is fine. Don't necessarily have to have a CAI. Just want a SAFE tune to pep up the throttle response, better low end torque and get rid of skip shift. I'm not a racer but a little spirited driving from time to time. I've read good and bad on the Procal but their warranty they promote makes me feel a little better.

Any users of the Procal out there that are happy or unhappy? I'm sure theirs many happy SCT users.

Look forward to everybody’s thoughts, suggestions - Please.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'm also interested in hearing feedback from those with the FRPP Procal tune... especially on the automatic 5.0.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I installed the ford racing power pack last weekend. I'm really happy with it.

I had to be real with how I use my car. Its easy to get caught up in the excitement of all the power upgrades you could do. I'd like to think I'm going to do track days, or autocross,...but realistically it will be a rare occasion.

However, I'm lucky in that I have some great mountain twisties to drive on. But even so, I'm on them maybe 20% of the time, tops. The times I've chased my friend's Evo (he has awd and is a madman, and he lives closer to Hwy 9 than I do, he's on it more often so, yes, he can drop me on the twisty stuff) the 5.0 has plenty of power bone stock (which is to say-this car has more than enough power to get a very good driver into trouble). That said, the extra tq will allow me to totally reel him in as I carefully blast out of corners.

Therefore, a bunch of extra tq down low made a lot of sense for a real world driver like myself.

I don't think you'd need to be tooo worried about losing cylinder 8, or some other catastrophic thing if you went with a Bama tune or something like that...but who would know this engine better than Ford Racing? So, ya, the FRPP seems to be a safer bet.

The FRPP made an insanely fast car even faster based on my seat-of-my-pants dyno. At some point hp numbers are only for bragging rights IMO.

a lot of people on this forum actually do hit the track or drag strip pretty regularly. I think SCT tuners w/full exhaust, cai and 40+hp boost is more geared to them. They're the 1%ers. haha. the rest of us should save what money we have left, drive, have fun.

·
Registered
942 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
I love the FRPP Procal. Even my wife says the car is faster. It actually is her car.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Tune's not avail yet for 12's, though.
Tune is not available yet or they are waiting for your procal tool to arrive? The package does not arrive with the procal tool but with instructions to order the procal.
How long do they say it will take before they can install the tune?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I installed the ford racing power pack last weekend. I'm really happy with it.
I love the FRPP Procal. Even my wife says the car is faster. It actually is her car.
Sounds like the low end torque is nice, but can either of you comment on throttle response/lag improvements? Do the rpms drop faster in between shifts? Things like that. I'm definitely more interested in drivability issues more than peak hp.

Thank you!

·
Registered
366 Posts
I installed it the FRPP ProCal tune last year and have been very happy with it. The throttle response and lower end torque is noticeable. Personally, I think it also sounds better.

I changed back to stock after switching gears from 3.31 to 3.55 just to see the difference the gears would make. After going back to the FRPP tune it seemed like it didn't make as much of an impact as it did with the 3.31 gears. Also have been getting some idle surging since then.

One other thing I noticed regarding the equipment: the MMC card is blank when I plug it into my computer. I wanted to possibly make a copy of the file(s) in case I even needed it, but the card is completely empty when looking at it with Windows explorer. I'm not sure if Windows is just unable to see the file, or if it was copied to the ProCal during the install and removed from the MMC. I'm also not sure where the car's stock profile is kept. I suspect it is on the ProCal itself and not the MMC.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies so far folks. I'm still undecided but leaning a little toward the procal, hopefully there will be some more opinions - on either side of the fence - pros, cons, etc. Please!

I realise its a marketing document (procal pdf - attached) but there seems to be some valid points made in it. Price seems reasonable ($335.00 at American Muscle) plus optional dealer install charge. On the down side, as I understand it, if you ever wanted a CAI, then the procal will not work, it's only for the stock airbox/cai and K&N filter. Also seems to be hard to not like their (warranty pdf - attached). One of the paragraphs states:

Limited Warranty Coverage for Select Performance Parts:

...."2011 MY: M-FR1-MV6B, M-FR1-MGTB, M-FR1-MGT1, M-9603 MV6B, M-5230-MV6CA, M-5230-MV6LA, M-9603-MGTB, M-7210 MV6B, M-7210-MGTB, M-5M-5230-MGTLA, M-5230-MGTCA, M-5230 MGTCA1, M-5230-MSVTCA, M-5230-MSVTLA, M-5251-MV6A, M5251-MGTA, M-FR3-MV6A, M-FR3-MGTA, M-FR3-MGTAA, MFR3 MCGTA, M-FR3-MSVTA) are warranted for factory-supplied material or workmanship, when installed by an authorized Ford Dealer or Shelby Automotive, Inc, beginning upon dealer installation and registration of the part(s) with Ford Racing for the balance of 3 years or 36,000 miles / 60,000 kilometres, whichever occurs first, from the manufacturer's New Vehicle Limited Warranty start date. This Limited Warranty replaces the existing manufacturer's New Vehicle Limited Warranty for engine, driveline and suspension parts when a concern is triggered by a warranted Ford Racing part. All engine, driveline and suspension warranty issues not related to installation of Ford racing parts remain subject to existing manufacturer's New Vehicle Limited Warranty".

Ford Racing K&N Air Filter with ProCal Tuner (11-12 GT) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm also interested in hearing feedback from those with the FRPP Procal tune... especially on the automatic 5.0.
I'm still considering the Procal, to go along with some of the other comments, I ran across this article at 5.0 Mustangs & Super Fords. See the part under "All Natural" on page 2 of the article.

Rocket Sled Acceleration - 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords Magazine

Hard to make a decision, I've read lots of positive posts on the SCT and Airaid, Steeda & JLT CAI's.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I enjoy my tune also...only thing I have ever not liked is a slight pinging that Ford Racing says is normal and expected.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Tune is not available yet or they are waiting for your procal tool to arrive? The package does not arrive with the procal tool but with instructions to order the procal.
How long do they say it will take before they can install the tune?
Tune's not available yet. When the dealers Service Mgr ordered per the instructions, the online network told him to pound sand when he entered my cpu #. He called Ford Racing and was told the tune for the 12's is not yet avail, and they didn't know when it would be.

I've called Ford Racing since, and was told the same thing. Guy told me to call back every now and then and ask.

They've installed the mufflers and I'm thrilled with them. Not too loud, but a nice throatier note.

Car's a real head turner. Absolutely love it. This is day 14 for me and I'm still walking on clouds in disbelief. ~1400 miles now.

Real good reading others thoughts on theirs.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I enjoy my tune also...only thing I have ever not liked is a slight pinging that Ford Racing says is normal and expected.
What octane fuel are you running?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
let's talk about this for a second. does that sound "normal" to you?

usually they say ping happens at heavy throttle load at low rpm (up a hill in 4th or something) but for this instance with the procal, it happened while under heavy throttle at upper rpms (approx 5k rpm and sometimes higher).

the reason i am asking is because i (as well as several others on this forum that ran the procal) experienced the same thing. i have only put in chevron/shell 91 octane in my car since day 1 (highest you can get in california) and another owner in texas with the procal who was getting ping was putting in 93 octane. i have even tried the octane adjustment on the tool and it still pinged. called ford racing at least 10 times and they kept telling me it was "cat impingement" or something and that it was not spark knock and that it was normal blah blah blah.

i put it on a dyno and a reputable mustang tuner confirmed it was pinging and it was loud as sh** especially when standing next to it on the dyno. i knew it was not normal despite what the guy at ford racing kept saying. should something happen to your engine, do you trust them to stand behind a replacement? do you really want to go through the process of replacing an engine on your brand new car? i decided to take it off immediately after hearing it and confirming it with the tuner and put the car back to stock and don't plan to use this tune again.

another owner on here grenaded his engine while driving with the procal tune installed.... i just want to share this with some people. i dont care if he has been with ford racing for 20 years, telling customers that pinging is normal is wrong on all counts. he denied it was pinging to me and kept telling me it was cat impingement that is caused by the more aggressive driving characteristics.

sorry for the rant, i just wanted to shed some light on this particular subject.

use at your own risk.

i didn't get a chance to do any real datalogging with this tune and regret it. for those of you that do have it, it would be really nice to get some data log files to get a detailed look at what exactly this tune is doing and where exactly the "ping" is and under what conditions it is caused. also it would be helpful to send this data log file back to ford racing as proof and see if they can still try and say it is normal or deny that it is spark knock.

·
Registered
833 Posts
93 octane only here.

As far as the tune, it does run lean which is confirmed by the dyno sheet I posted. I called and spoke with two Ford Racing engineers that confirmed this is by design and that the knock sensors will kick in if necessary.

On my dyno pulls I could not hear any pinging, but when I am behind the wheel I can hear it when I go open throttle and it seems to happen around the 4k mark and stop very quickly afterward and does not come back when going into the next gear.

I don't like it for sure as I am leery of any pinging...but at least this is not a force injected application which would really be bad.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
93 octane only here.

As far as the tune, it does run lean which is confirmed by the dyno sheet I posted. I called and spoke with two Ford Racing engineers that confirmed this is by design and that the knock sensors will kick in if necessary.

On my dyno pulls I could not hear any pinging, but when I am behind the wheel I can hear it when I go open throttle and it seems to happen around the 4k mark and stop very quickly afterward and does not come back when going into the next gear.

I don't like it for sure as I am leery of any pinging...but at least this is not a force injected application which would really be bad.
if the knock sensors were really kicking in, you should not hear anything at all, am i correct?

i e-mailed a guy at ford racing and he said the procal tune does not alter the factory knock sensor settings in any way so it is just weird.

i really would love to get around this middle man at ford racing and find out how they could say that the ping is there by design. i was also hearing it from behind the wheel while driving (especially next to a barrier or something on the side for the sound to bounce off of) and it was even more audible while going on the dyno. like i said, i was running 91 but i made the adjustment on the procal tool by setting octane adjust to "Y"

·
Registered
245 Posts
Tune's not available yet. When the dealers Service Mgr ordered per the instructions, the online network told him to pound sand when he entered my cpu #. He called Ford Racing and was told the tune for the 12's is not yet avail, and they didn't know when it would be.
Reason I asked is because I thought the engine and PCM were unchanged for 2012.

I'm the guy in Texas who Cababah is referring to. I got the same story from Ford, and got the same comments at my performance shop when the car was on the dyno. Only used 93 oct from Chevron and Shell. As far as running it with octane adjust set to "Y": detuning when running 93 octane doesnt make sense to me.
There are other tunes out there that don't ping so I didnt see any reason to expose my car to the FRPP tune.

If you are concerned about your warranty I guess this is your only option though. Here in Houston the Ford dealers wanted too much money for this simple install.

I thought the tune made the car a little more fun for every day driving but I dont think this tune makes the car much faster when you really step on it - at least not with a MT. Have no experience with this tune on an auto. One advantage was to eliminate skip-shift but you can also just unplug the solenoid, and that's free.

·
Registered
833 Posts
ii really would love to get around this middle man at ford racing and find out how they could say that the ping is there by design."
Ford Racing Tech Support
800-367-3788
Ask for Marty.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Very interesting, and rather concerning. I'll definately be aware. You all confident this is pre detonation? Any others w/the Pro Cal?

Hopefully that's something that'll be corrected for 12.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Very interesting, and rather concerning. I'll definately be aware. You all confident this is pre detonation? Any others w/the Pro Cal?

Hopefully that's something that'll be corrected for 12.
Is why I posted their contact info...call and ask them! :headscratch:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts