Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

SCT X-Cal 2 - Unlock Device & Tune Backup

7K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  heartychristian 
#1 ·
I have an SCT X-Cal 2 and am awaiting the new tunes because I bought a new car. Once I get the new tune files, is backing them up as easy as a copy & paste? Also, in the Live Load, what does "Unlock Device" allow you to do? I currently have the 3 tunes for my 07 GT in there and don't want to screw anything up. I didn't find anything in the X-Cal 2 manual and my keywords for searching were too common on this forum.

I haven't called my tuner or SCT on this, because it's now 9:30pm.

As always, any help is appreciated.

#2 ·
You cannot copy any files from your device, only to it. If you only have the tunes for your 07 preloaded in your device you'll have to send a message to your tune maker and have them email you the tunes. Then you can back them up. This also means that you cannot backup your original stock tune also, although I've heard that if anything were to ever happen, SCT will send you a copy of the stock file. If you're trying to use the tuner on your new 08 car, you must return the old 07 car back to stock tune before unlocking the tuner (one vehicle, one xcal).

The unlock feature is used to clear the tune device of the previous vehicle so that it can be used on a different vehicle (once a device is used on a vehicle, it is locked to that vehicle).

#3 ·
I've already done a return to stock before I traded it in. So when I do get the new tunes, then I need to do an Unlock Device & import the tunes for the new ECM code.

Backing up the tunes is simply a file copy, got it.

#4 ·
Is my above statement correct? I got the tuner in mid December and got the new car last week. I'm obviously not proficient when it comes to its full functionality.

#6 ·
Oh yeah, it was the 1st thing I did before removed the CAI & axle-backs.

#7 · (Edited)
STL, I was wondering how long it would take you to post on this thread......

So basically, I just need to wait to get emailed my tunes, then upload them to the tuner?

Is there anything else I need to do like unlock the device or do a reset?

#14 ·
So I need to use the Unlock Device function once I get the tunes then. Do that before uploading the new ones.

#16 ·
I attached it to my computer last night to see the interface. It is locked.

#17 ·
I have a related question- I'm looking at a used sct 2 on Ebay that is listed as locked. Is it possible to just zero it out and unlock, then upload whatever tunes I buy and set it for my car?

#18 ·
To answer my own question, after some more research, yes it is possible but it involves shipping the tuner back to SCT and paying over $100 to do so. Then you'd have to buy the tunes as well, which are at least $50 each. Now the cheap used tuner on Ebay doesn't sound so great!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.