Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey does anybody here have the SCT X Cal 3 tuner? and if you do, what kind of performance gains did you see with 93 octane? I have an 01 v6 automatic w/true dual flowmaster 40's, h pipe, and CAI. Im probably gonna get 3.73 gears and t-lock installed so i figured i might as well get a tuner to go with it. I know that the tuner will firm up shifts, increase fuel mileage and add hp to my car, but is it really worth it? And they say it has user adjustment but i wouldnt want to adjust the wrong thing. Is it pretty straight forward or what? Sorry, I dont really know much about custom tuners and I cant seem to the information that i want, other than "you'll love it" haha. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
My question to you is, do you have the XF-3 or the X-3. There's a difference in the two tuners, the XF-3 comes pre-loaded with three canned tune files. And the X-3 is used for custom tuning, both are capeable of data-logging and reading codes. Both have user adjustability, and if you don't have tuning experience leave that turned off. Both will store three custom tune files, and will store your stock tune file. But only one will do true dyno custom tuning, and that's the SCT X-3. So depending on which one you have, or would like to purchase depends on the gains you will get from it, Mike. SCT Tuner.:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Hey does anybody here have the SCT X Cal 3 tuner? and if you do, what kind of performance gains did you see with 93 octane? I have an 01 v6 automatic w/true dual flowmaster 40's, h pipe, and CAI. Im probably gonna get 3.73 gears and t-lock installed so i figured i might as well get a tuner to go with it. I know that the tuner will firm up shifts, increase fuel mileage and add hp to my car, but is it really worth it? And they say it has user adjustment but i wouldnt want to adjust the wrong thing. Is it pretty straight forward or what? Sorry, I dont really know much about custom tuners and I cant seem to the information that i want, other than "you'll love it" haha. Thanks in advance.
well you'll probably end up getting a gain of about 15-20hp with your cai and exhaust.. that plus the gears and t-lock will make it feel like a completely different car.. get the SCT X3 i think it is.. the one with the custom tune.. not the 3 preloaded tunes since those are based on a stock mustang... you'll feel the biggest gain with a custom one since they adjust for some mods... but i thought it was definitely worth it...i have a 91 octane tune from american muscle

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have, well I'm planning on getting the sct x cal 3. I'm getting it from american muscle and its not the pre loaded one, its the one with custom tunes. $389. I don't have much tuning experience at all..

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
you shouldnt need to change anything in the tune anyway.. the only thing you might consider changing is rear end gearing if that ever changes or tire diameter for speedo calibration if u get different tires/rims.. otherwise once you update the tuner with your computer u just plug it in tell it to load the tune and it does it all for you pretty much.. if youre getting it from american muscle dont forget to ask about the discount code its 6% off ur order

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, so thats 15-20 with the tuner? and I am actua;;y planning on getting 3.73 gears/7.5 t lock, 18" chrome saleen rims, and 275/35-18 tires. So basically i'll be upgrading my tire size and gears. I know it holds 3 tunes. So ive herd i could go like 93 octane performance, 87 octane economy and 91 octane performance?

·
Registered
14 Posts
ive got a 2000 v6 with intake and exhaust. I bought the SCT X3 the 93 octane tune really wakes it up! ive been running it on 87 octane bc i got tired of paying for the 93 but you'll be pleased running it on 93.

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
Okay, so thats 15-20 with the tuner? and I am actua;;y planning on getting 3.73 gears/7.5 t lock, 18" chrome saleen rims, and 275/35-18 tires. So basically i'll be upgrading my tire size and gears. I know it holds 3 tunes. So ive herd i could go like 93 octane performance, 87 octane economy and 91 octane performance?
If you are planning on getting the tuner and putting on 18" rims, you have just lost your investment on the tuner. The rims will slow you down again......

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
If you are going to pay 400.00 from American Muscle for a SCT X3 and tunes you might be better served to get three custom tunes which incudes a SCT X3 from Brenspeed, Tillman's or Bama Chips it will be alot better than those canned tunes for the same money

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
the tuner from AM comes with one tune.. ud have to buy the others separately thats the only thing.. i only got one tune because.. really thats all i need.. its better on gas even on the 91 performance tune than it was stock.. the car's not too crazily modded.. but if you want more then it probably would be a good idea to look around at those other places if ur interested in more than one tune

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
the tuner from AM comes with one tune.. ud have to buy the others separately thats the only thing.. i only got one tune because.. really thats all i need.. its better on gas even on the 91 performance tune than it was stock.. the car's not too crazily modded.. but if you want more then it probably would be a good idea to look around at those other places if ur interested in more than one tune
Still for the money is the same for three tunes vs one and a professional tuner ( Brenspeed , Tillman's or Bama ) did the tunes if even you dont use them their tunes are way better Than AM could ever have IMO

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, well now im getting a little confused about tillmans, brenspeed, or bama tunes... How is that different than the SCT x cal 3? And are you saying that the SCT x Cal 3 isnt worth it? Somebody point me in the right direction please.. haha

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Okay, well now im getting a little confused about tillmans, brenspeed, or bama tunes... How is that different than the SCT x cal 3? And are you saying that the SCT x Cal 3 isnt worth it? Somebody point me in the right direction please.. haha
The SCT X3 ( very good ) is the handheld tuner and Tillmans, Brenspeed, or Bama Chips are the tuners and you get the 3 tunes as a package deal with the handheld tuner for $378.00 ( from Brenspeed ) might be a little more from Tillmans or Bama chips, sorry about the confusion, Now you can get a SCT X3 from American Muscle but the tunes arent as good and the tuners would give you for the same money.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So you would recomend a tuner with tunes on it already over the custom tuner? and the bama, tillman and brenspeed are already loaded with tunes im guessing..?

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
So you would recomend a tuner with tunes on it already over the custom tuner? and the bama, tillman and brenspeed are already loaded with tunes im guessing..?
The custom 3 tunes are done specifically for your car and mods , tillman , bama and brenspeed load the tunes for your car to use with the handheld tuner, the ones with just tunes are not specific to your car but they do work ( I am not saying they are bad ) , but if your going to spend the same money why not have a custom tune for your own car thats all I was suggesting, if your not sure do a search here for tuning and you can get more information.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Does this give me 1 custom tune, and 2 preloaded tunes?

·
Registered
3,827 Posts

I am not sure about that one way or the other, you would have to ask another member here, sorry.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
okay. well i appreciate the advise

·
Registered
6,168 Posts

where is that from? i dont really understand what im looking at there

·
Registered
13 Posts
discount code?

you shouldnt need to change anything in the tune anyway.. the only thing you might consider changing is rear end gearing if that ever changes or tire diameter for speedo calibration if u get different tires/rims.. otherwise once you update the tuner with your computer u just plug it in tell it to load the tune and it does it all for you pretty much.. if youre getting it from american muscle dont forget to ask about the discount code its 6% off ur order
what is this "Discount Code" , you speak of? :yelwacko:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts