Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok i have searched and searched but cant find the exact answer i am looking for. I am confused about the sct xcalibrator2. Now lets say i order if from breenspeed.com then i put on an intake, long tubes, and cmrc delete plates do i need to send my xcalibrator2 back to brenspeed.com to have it re-programmed, because i have no one around here that tunes, or is familiar with sct or predator, but would prefer sct. If someone can explain to me how i re-program when i add modifications to my car that change the air/fuel that would be awesome. Thanx in advance

Zach

·
Registered
465 Posts
I cannot speak for Brenspeed. I ordered mone from Velocity Mustang Performance and as I made mods, Justin would email me a new tune. I would then, using Liveload software, and my laptop, load the new tune into my SCT XCAL2. I have a folder in my PC that contains around a dozen tunes. Also, using Liveload, I can cange rear gear ratio, tire size, A/F ratio, etc, plus many other parameters to create my own tunes. Go to www.VMPtuning.com or call Justin at 321-206-9369. He is very helpful and knows what he's talking about. You will not have to send your XCAL back, it's all done electronically. They charge $379 for the XCAL and that includes 3 tunes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for the help this is one of the best mods to do from what i have read but want to make sure that i am doing it in the correct sequence.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Brent is protective of his tunes, so email tunes are not going to happen (found this out for myself already). He's great to deal-with, but make sure you can live without tunes by email.

·
Registered
16 Posts
rgensemer said:
I cannot speak for Brenspeed. I ordered mone from Velocity Mustang Performance and as I made mods, Justin would email me a new tune. I would then, using Liveload software, and my laptop, load the new tune into my SCT XCAL2. I have a folder in my PC that contains around a dozen tunes. Also, using Liveload, I can cange rear gear ratio, tire size, A/F ratio, etc, plus many other parameters to create my own tunes. Go to www.VMPtuning.com or call Justin at 321-206-9369. He is very helpful and knows what he's talking about. You will not have to send your XCAL back, it's all done electronically. They charge $379 for the XCAL and that includes 3 tunes.
rgensemer,
What type of format does the tune have to be to use Liveload? I've used the ExtremeTune software and my desktop PC to upload to my XCAL2 but the file format was .xtr. I've heard about the newer LiveLoad with user adjustable parameters but don't know much about it.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I have two versions of liveload. The one from my tuner uses .llf extensions and the other, available from the SCT website uses .ll3 extensions. The tuner you bought your SCT XCAL from should be able to convert your .xtr extensions to the .ll3. It is very cool and not near as problematic as Extreme Tune.

·
Registered
16 Posts
rgensemer said:
I have two versions of liveload. The one from my tuner uses .llf extensions and the other, available from the SCT website uses .ll3 extensions. The tuner you bought your SCT XCAL from should be able to convert your .xtr extensions to the .ll3. It is very cool and not near as problematic as Extreme Tune.
Yeah that sounds pretty cool for sure. That ExtremeTune software is very buggy although I can finally get it to upload to my XCAL2.

Thanks for the info; I'll have to get my research on:thumbsup

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Giddeeup said:
Brent is protective of his tunes, so email tunes are not going to happen (found this out for myself already). He's great to deal-with, but make sure you can live without tunes by email.
This is becoming pretty much the standard... I can't say I blame these guys... they put a lot of time and effort into developing a tune and there is nothing to stop us from swapping tunes around like the old days of Napster...

·
Registered
16 Posts
fishingjts said:
This is becoming pretty much the standard... I can't say I blame these guys... they put a lot of time and effort into developing a tune and there is nothing to stop us from swapping tunes around like the old days of Napster...
Agreed. Well put me on the honor system then. I have a lot of respect for my tuner and the service he provided me and would never share a tune with anyone. If you can afford a new 2005 / 2006 Mustang, then you can afford to pay the small price for a great tune and the work / effort these guys have put into making our cars that more enjoyable to drive.

Just my 2 cents and I report internet sales on my state taxes too! I guess I'm just too honest:)

·
Registered
633 Posts
About how much does a new tune cost? Let's say I get the Xcal or Predator with three tunes for my current CAI and later I switch CAIs and need a new tune. I can keep the same unit and just buy other tunes right?

·
Registered
16 Posts
scramblr said:
About how much does a new tune cost? Let's say I get the Xcal or Predator with three tunes for my current CAI and later I switch CAIs and need a new tune. I can keep the same unit and just buy other tunes right?
I'm not sure what just the tunes cost. A new SCT xcal2 runs anywhere from $379 to $399 depending if the tuner has a sale or not. I highly recommend Doug over at www.bamachips.com. He is a great tuner and has torque and performance tunes available in 87 / 91 / 93 octane. If you swap CAIs later on, yes you can reprogram your SCT xcal2 with new tunes that you upload.

·
Registered
5 Posts
scramblr said:
Though I can't speak for any other vendor, Brent (at Brenspeed.com) will do tweaks for updated mods like CAI's for free (if you bought the tuner from him)... his only catch is not emailing them for exactly the reasons stated earlier. So, his price is the price of shipping the tuner, nothing more.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts