Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. Got my order from Bamachips yesterday. Thanks to everyone for holding my hand while I wet my pants...

I'm a virgin at this, so please be gentle.

The instructions say "do not turn key to off position durning the flash process, etc", but later on the instructions tell me to start with the key in the off position. Then the instructions say that I'll be turning off and on at different points while flashing. Which is it? I'm paranoid about screwing this up. Mental picture of father in law (works at a ford dealership) shaking his head and mocking me for my newly screwed up ride...

Key off position, plug in xcal, key on position, follow the prompts?

Feeling pretty dumb over here.

Hey, I had no idea the filter was so big. I pulled it out of the box thinking maybe I got sent a tank part by mistake. Looks like the thing will take up the whole engine bay.

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
Start with the key off and the device connected to the OBDII port. The device will tell you to turn the key to on. When the tune is finished it will tell you to turn key to off and remove the device. And never attempt to start the car while flashing and don't remove the cable with the key in the on position.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Yes, I do believe 'on' does not mean turn the car over.

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
so it sounds like the tuner is a lot like a memory stick where you can't just yank it while its in the comp, you need to disable it first. and with the car you need to not turn the key on/off with the tuner in.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Start with the key off and the device connected to the OBDII port. The device will tell you to turn the key to on. When the tune is finished it will tell you to turn key to off and remove the device. And never attempt to start the car while flashing and don't remove the cable with the key in the on position.
I think the printed instructions were - are - poor. They lead you to expect a lot more on-offing than is actually prompted on the device's screen.

After the last "off", mine never told me it was finished, or to remove the device. I could still be sitting there since last year!.

Otherwise, no problems. Works good.

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
I think the printed instructions were - are - poor. They lead you to expect a lot more on-offing than is actually prompted on the device's screen.

After the last "off", mine never told me it was finished, or to remove the device. I could still be sitting there since last year!.

Otherwise, no problems. Works good.
Correct... Those user's manuals leave a lot to be desired. :so

·
Registered
539 Posts
Man I"m happy everyone here is so helpful. I plan on getting a tunner and I"m sure this type thing is going to happen. What a great site!

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
so it sounds like the tuner is a lot like a memory stick where you can't just yank it while its in the comp, you need to disable it first. and with the car you need to not turn the key on/off with the tuner in.
You need to get one of these SCT memory sticks and you will love it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.