Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a Check Engine Light come on today. I don't know why, but there it was. I fumed for a couple minutes, then remembered I had my XCAL in the trunk. There is a feature that allows you to read a code and clear the dtc. I gave it a try and 30 seconds later the code was cleared and the CEL was gone. Will wonders never cease?

·
Registered
914 Posts
yes, but what if there really IS a problem that needs to be addressed and you end up ignoring it just because all you did was get rid of the light?

Were you acutally able to decipher the code and then determine it was not an issue? If so, then that is very cool.

If I had ignored the CEL I had a while back I would have probably been stuck on the side of the road with a non-functioning fuel sending unit. Those lights usually come on for a reason. I would not just brush it aside.

FWIW.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You have a valid point. However, my feeling is that if there is a fault that needs to be addressed, it won't stay off for long and of course would warrant a trip to the dealer. My experience is that sometimes the CEL means nothing. When I installed my CAI, the CEL stayed on until Velocity Mustang Performance sent me a different tune. The car seemed to run fine even with the CEL. Now the "Wrench" - that's serious and almost always bad news. My point is that the SCT is much more than a tuner

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
rgensemer said:
You have a valid point. However, my feeling is that if there is a fault that needs to be addressed, it won't stay off for long and of course would warrant a trip to the dealer. My experience is that sometimes the CEL means nothing. When I installed my CAI, the CEL stayed on until Velocity Mustang Performance sent me a different tune. The car seemed to run fine even with the CEL. Now the "Wrench" - that's serious and almost always bad news. My point is that the SCT is much more than a tuner
Actually a solid wrench light is just "failsafe" mode and usually means something just isn't right so the car "limps" home... For me it was the faulty TPS... the wrench light clears just by turning the car off and restarting it... I've also found that if I leave the traction control on and I really spin the tires hard the wrench light will come on and the car goes into failsafe... pull over and turn the car off and on... LOL!

Now in the Porsche a solid CEL meant go to the dealership when you can... if it was FLASHING it meant STOP RIGHT NOW, engine damage is happening...

And yes, the code part of the X-Cal2 is very handy... helped me with my TPS issue which would on occasion trip the CEL...

·
Registered
767 Posts
Well, not to burst your bubble, but the XCal, the XCal2, and the Predator all will allow you to read the OBD II codes and clear them ( if the condition no longer exists ).

But you should have at least written the code down and looked it up just for peace of mind.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hawgman said:
Well, not to burst your bubble, but the XCal, the XCal2, and the Predator all will allow you to read the OBD II codes and clear them ( if the condition no longer exists ).

But you should have at least written the code down and looked it up just for peace of mind.
I don't know about the predator, but I owned an XCAL before I bought the XCAL2. I have to ask you, since all that's on an XCAL are LED's with no display, how would you clear a code?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have a predator. You can read fault codes and clear them. If you can you should read the code before clearing it. At least you can then note the code & document it.?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
let me chime in here with a question for you guys who have the tuners (xcal or pred)..... you get a tool for reading codes, but no book or sheet that tells you what the code means??? doesnt come with one??? if so, what good is that? you will be going to the dealer anyway if you cant tell what part needs to be replace or adjusted. if you cant decipher it, and can only clear it, then i dont see the point. :confused: can you buy a code book?

(p.s. - and from what i have heard, only the xcal 2 can read codes. thats the only difference between the xcal and xcal2. if i am mistaken, can someone explain what the differences are or post a link?)

·
Registered
897 Posts
GTNOS said:
let me chime in here with a question for you guys who have the tuners (xcal or pred)..... you get a tool for reading codes, but no book or sheet that tells you what the code means??? doesnt come with one??? if so, what good is that? you will be going to the dealer anyway if you cant tell what part needs to be replace or adjusted. if you cant decipher it, and can only clear it, then i dont see the point. :confused: can you buy a code book?

(p.s. - and from what i have heard, only the xcal 2 can read codes. thats the only difference between the xcal and xcal2. if i am mistaken, can someone explain what the differences are or post a link?)
I can't speak from first hand experience as far as the X-CAL II is concerned but one guy at the track with an X-CAL II asked me if I knew what a certain code meant so I think you only see a code..

On the Diablosport Predator you get the code and a 1 line description which is pretty abbreviated. You can then go to the website where you can punch in the code and get the complete answer.

For Example P0171 Bank 1 Lean

Description on Diablosport website

System Too Lean Bank 1
The PCM monitors the adaptive fuel table to ensure fuel control system components do not vary from their nominal values. The fuel control strategy within the PCM uses the adaptive fuel table to compensate for normal wear or aging of fuel control system components. The code is set when the PCM can no longer compensate for additional changes in the fuel system.
Obstructed or dirty fuel injector(s
Suspect EVAP EVAP canister purge solenoid.
Leaking exhaust system.
This DTC may be caused by :
Suspect Low fuel pressure.
Crankcase Ventilation System
Suspect air intake system leak.
Suspect engine vacuum leak.
Suspect HO2S11 circuit.
Suspect PCM.
A blocked fuel filter will restrict the flow of fuel to the pressure regulator. If the fuel supply to the fuel filter is O.K. the fuel filter may be blocked.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts