Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I just got my 06 GT and am thinking about getting the xcal2 and was wondering if it comes with performance tunes in it already or does the tuner that I buy it from have to put some in? Thanks in advance.

Semper Fi,
Kris

·
Registered
165 Posts
97Snake1668 said:
Hello all,
I just got my 06 GT and am thinking about getting the xcal2 and was wondering if it comes with performance tunes in it already or does the tuner that I buy it from have to put some in? Thanks in advance.

Semper Fi,
Kris
HooRah!! Yeah congrats on yer first mod...... IMHO the SCT XCal 2 is the first mod everyone should get...... More Bang fer yer buck..... Well, whomever you buy it from they will ask you questions on what you have for the car as far as mods.... Make 3 custom tunes (Economy, Mid Power and Max Power) And you just upload em to yer car!!
I got my SCT XCAL 2 from JMS....... They are pretty good when it comes to tuning...however Brenspeed is also quite reputable from these forums....
Good Decision on the purchase.....

Leon

·
Registered
5,003 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
I got my xcal from JLT with an intake. Jay told me the tunes in it were put together by the guys at SCT. I suspect they are the tunes that any SCT xcal2 would ship with from SCT directly. On the intake section, you could select from about six different models, including JLT, C&L, and the other popular ones. It had tunes for 87, 91, and 93 octane.

I'm currently running the 87, and can tell a big seat-of-the-pants difference. the overall smoothness and driveability are also much better. It used to bark hard on a 1-2 powershift. Now it will burn the tires for almost 20 feet. it's a little scary. I LIKE IT!!!

get it, load it, enjoy it.

·
Registered
294 Posts
the tuner is definitely the first mod to do. If you are going to do any meaningful mods you have to get one anyway so get one early and enjoy the better response and power.
Buy the tuner from someone who will support it for future mods. SCT supplies basic tunes for the dealers and then they may tweak them to your specific combination. Of course some tuning shops are better at this than others.

You might as well getcha a low restriction air cleaner (CAI), what's another $180 bucks right? Well worth the money. Mo Betta, Mo Betta!

I'm tickled to death with my JLT II from Jay and SCT tuner from Brenspeed.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
I'm sure it is a CUSTOM tune by SCT for JLT! There is quite a few differances CAI to CAI!

YES!! The tuner (SCT) should be the first mod for everyone! Even more so for the auto guys!!!

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
kj_cinci said:
I'm sure it is a CUSTOM tune by SCT for JLT! There is quite a few differances CAI to CAI!

YES!! The tuner (SCT) should be the first mod for everyone! Even more so for the auto guys!!!
THANKS GUYS yep kj Im not at all impressed with my pure stock 06 automatic. I will look into this :)

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
MickMach said:
THANKS GUYS yep kj Im not at all impressed with my pure stock 06 automatic. I will look into this :)
You would be SO happy when/if you get it!! 20 HP more is great but the drivability and fun factor upgrades are not measurable in numbers but oh so much 'feelable' and enjoyable!!

·
Registered
191 Posts
i have the tuner as well and love it ...i had a local sct tuner guy do it on the dyno and he was able to adjust for the air / fuel and gears and rev limiter and timing on certain gas and all of it made a difference...the car was way fat from ford........so if you can get a dyno on it and see where she is running at you can adjust the car even further than an over the counter tune....we had two of the same cars on the dyno and one was all over the place on the air fuel and one ( mine) was way fat......just my take on the tune thing.....:cool:

·
Registered
294 Posts
darkdayz said:
...i had a local sct tuner guy do it on the dyno and he was able to adjust for the air / fuel and gears and rev limiter and timing on certain gas and all of it made a difference...
:eek:fftopic

ok dd, names and numbers. I'll need these services sooner or later and I got no idea where to start looking.

thanks.

·
Registered
191 Posts
cool pictures of your car.....i remember seeing it in person looks kickaz......the guy you want is curtis fullingim he is in skiatook,ok. the dyno we used was at tulsa dyno.....918-396-4802 is the boyz #.....wills car looks good in the pics too.......:cool:

·
Registered
191 Posts
did you buy your ride from our north location?????:cool:

·
Registered
294 Posts
darkdayz said:
did you buy your ride from our north location?????:cool:
yeah, and they stole it back from Broken Arrow for me. :laughlitt
I'm forever in debt to my salesguy.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Don't forget that the AUTO guys get even more outa the tune! Just awesome!

·
Registered
191 Posts
cool on the steal back from b.a.....mine went to north after the fair and i got it sent over here to south to buy it.....:cool:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Get a TUNE

kj_cinci said:
You would be SO happy when/if you get it!! 20 HP more is great but the drivability and fun factor upgrades are not measurable in numbers but oh so much 'feelable' and enjoyable!!
KJ CINCI said it!

I waited years for the $$$ to at last buy a Cobra. My luck was that the day I could take the plunge was in 2005 and there were NO SVt COBRAS, so I bought a GT. But after a few days I was ready to trade it in for an Explorer - it didn't feel like a real sports car, and I lliked it less than the V6 model I had rented at Hertz.

This all changed when I got my SCt Extreme Tuner with XCalibrator 2 from Modular Depot. With their standard upgrade tune it turned into a radically different car, and I now cherish it and ache to hop in and spin those wheels. A proper tune actually turns the 05/06 GT into what it was designed to be, the factory tune is an obvious lousy de-tune to keep warranty work to a minimum by taking the driving pleasure out of the car.

A tune is a MUST. After the tune I no longer yearn for a Supercharger: the 300 horsies now reach the seat of your pants!

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Oh NO! Wasn't planning on being right my one time of the year this early... now the rest of it is really gonna bite... :rolleyes:

You're right though... it really changes the car... now you should try with a intake and a Anti-Roll Kit! It will be like another car, sportscar!

You have the best tuner and he'll prolly hook you up with a tune if you get the Ti intake... http://www.modulardepot.com/product_info.php?cPath=33&products_id=248

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
hey KJ, i have some questions:

1. if i buy an x-cal right now for my stock GT, and i later add mods, do i send in my x-cal for reprogramming? should i just do all of my mods and have it programmed once?

2. how much is it to add tunes?

3. somewhere i heard that you can get tunes emailed to you from a tuner. is that true?

4. can i download any tuner's tune into it or does it have to be done by SCT?

i am really liking the idea of the SCT but i am still a little confused on these issues.:eyebulge:

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
GTNOS said:
hey KJ, i have some questions:

1. if i buy an x-cal right now for my stock GT, and i later add mods, do i send in my x-cal for reprogramming? should i just do all of my mods and have it programmed once?

2. how much is it to add tunes?

3. somewhere i heard that you can get tunes emailed to you from a tuner. is that true?

4. can i download any tuner's tune into it or does it have to be done by SCT?

i am really liking the idea of the SCT but i am still a little confused on these issues.:eyebulge:
1. The tunes can be e-mailed if you have the download cable. If you get your tuner from MD they'll inklude the cable for free! $50 value they say but I'm sure you can find it for less at Radio Shack etc...

2. The price for new 'custom' tunes differs, depending where you get them and how involved they are. Often you can 'demand' and get the new tune for free when buying the part... I've seen update / upgrade tunes starting at $20 so it's not too bad...

3. See 1

4. You can put in any S197 tune from any tuner using the SCT. I have heard some professional tuners using both brands can move the perimeters from one to the other... You will be using SCT soft and hardware for all your tunes though, kinda like you won't put Mac products on/in your PC or v/v... :tongue

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
thanks for clearing up my confusion on that KJ. think when i get the $$ i will get the sct from md. that free cable would be worth having to be able to receive tunes over the net. especially since there is only one sct dealer/tuner in oklahoma and he is way on the other side of the friggin state...:eyebulge:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts