Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have acouple questions baout SD and MAF.Some are dumb but i just need good solid answers.Im not dogging either of them just want some clearification before i buy a fox.
1) is there a difference in gas mileage, i know a sd is a lil faster but im just talking about mpg.
2) turbo/superchargerz,nos,f/i!! which is better SD or MAF....
2b) are most kits lets say on ebay and etc., setup for only MAF or does it matter at all.

3) CAI, is ther any modification to install one to a SD.
4) As far as camshaft mod on a sd, all you would have to do is adjust the timing, or would ther be Computer such as custom or possibbly just reprogramming.
if there is anything else extra about advantages over one another plz tell so,thanx

·
Registered
365 Posts
I'm pretty sure MAF is better in all cases if you make any major mods like intake and heads. I know when i did my MAF conversion i got better gas mileage and all i had was a CAI and header back exhaust. But as for turbochargers and super chargers im not sure... i remember my brother reading in a turbo book that speed density was better... not sure. But other than that MAF is better.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
currently i have a speed density car.

maf is more efficient, and definately gets better mileage.

speed density computers are vacuum sensitive, so any alteration in your vacuum pressure (i.e. cam change) will screw up the speed density computer, probably causing a bad running car.

this is really all i know.

most upgrades are geared toward MAF cars i would imagine.

most guys at speedshops say i should switch to maf.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
The only reason Speed density is faster is when you compare them stock for stock. The 89-95 mustangs came with a very small MAF meter housing and is very restrictive. Replace this and your MAF car will be as fast a speed density or faster.

·
Registered
654 Posts
maf cars differ...

i have been investagating the heads i have in my shed and all i've found is there off a crown victoria, which all the 91-93 mustangs and t-birds got(exc. cobra) where the 87-90 got different heads, maybe that contributed to the power mass air cars have( or don't have) everyone i know with a stang either has mass air, converted to mass air,or wants to convert to mass air( i want to) A-easier to get rid of erratic idle,B- you cant put a eec tuner or tweeker on speed density ecm's, as far as i've read. 1 bad thing is when it goes dead on you their not exactly cheap to replace.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.