Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car had blown out a catalytic converter last year and it has had it's check engine light on since. I'm due for inspection this month so I finally got around to putting on a new catted mid-pipe. I installed a bbk x-pipe with cats. It sounds good. It's quiet on the highway and pops ever so slightly when I let up on the gas. But I digress....

With the new catted mid-pipe on I cleared the codes and 2 new codes popped up. P2004 & P2005. CMCV stuck open. I didn't feel like pulling the intake manifold so I figured I'd try some Seafoam.... After Seafoaming it the car was smoking like a chimney.... It was pretty extreme... After the smoke mellowed I took the car for a spin. At first it seemed to drive ok but slowly it started missing. At around this point is when I discovered it also wouldn't hold an idle. I had to limp it home, working the clutch, brake and gas every time I had to stop to keep it from stalling...

Pulled the plugs today.....

It wasn't pretty....

A new set of plugs are on their way... Hopefully I'll have them in by this weekend...

Attachments

·
Registered
337 Posts
First bad result I've seen with seafoam. I've used it many times on my 250k plus engine.. lately it seems I have a misfire at low rpms... I'm thinking valbetrain needs a little love but now I want to take a look at my plugs too.

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
after looking at the pic closely, all I can see is that there is way to much anti-seize on the threads and hex head. the spark point is still true and square and the gaps look good. I don't see any anti-seize on the barrel/snout. I wouldn't hesitate to use those plugs again after a light cleaning up. how long/miles have they been in? just my .02 from looking at the photo.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
after looking at the pic closely, all I can see is that there is way to much anti-seize on the threads and hex head. the spark point is still true and square and the gaps look good. I don't see any anti-seize on the barrel/snout. I wouldn't hesitate to use those plugs again after a light cleaning up. how long/miles have they been in? just my .02 from looking at the photo.
No such thing as too much on the threads of the 2005-2008.5. I'd rather waste anti-seize then have one of these plugs snap off in the head. I do believe you're correct that these plugs are reusable, they are just really fouled. I tried cleaning two of them and they still looked nasty. I'm going to soak them in some cleaner and re-use them for the next plug change.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
well....to much in the wrong spot can be bad. the threads aren't the problem on our plugs. its the long snout that gets carbon build up and seizes to the head. Nickel anti-seize on just the snouts/barrels is all you need, being careful not to get any on the stirrup as that can cause misfires. a very small amount on the threads wont hurt but to much will keep them from grounding properly. use a scotch brite on the snouts and some emery cloth to clean them. good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts