Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I ordered my 06, the only GT they had available to test drive (in the coupe style) was a late-model 05. When we took it out, the seat-belt warning beep started. Talk about annoying! I've never worn a seat-belt except in my 66 (lap belts only) and when we go 'off-roading'. So. After a while it quit and I'm thinking 'that's okay'. Only it started again! Quit. Started again! You get the picture. We had it out about 20 minutes and this continued for the entire time. When we got back, I asked the salesman if it's possible to turn the warning off and he said 'no'. Come on....isn't there some way?? Does anyone know anything about this?

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
Wear the seatbelt, sorry it saved my sister in law when she got hit by a semi.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes there is in fact a way to disable it. As pcfrish said, you can wear it, or you can disable it for the current driving session by buckling it and quickly unbuckling it, or you can permenantly disable it by following the steps laid out in the instruction manual. I don't know them off hand, but I think I remember something about chicken bones and mumbling phrases...?

In short, it's possible.

·
Registered
252 Posts
fordgrl99 said:
When I ordered my 06, the only GT they had available to test drive (in the coupe style) was a late-model 05. When we took it out, the seat-belt warning beep started. Talk about annoying! I've never worn a seat-belt except in my 66 (lap belts only) and when we go 'off-roading'. So. After a while it quit and I'm thinking 'that's okay'. Only it started again! Quit. Started again! You get the picture. We had it out about 20 minutes and this continued for the entire time. When we got back, I asked the salesman if it's possible to turn the warning off and he said 'no'. Come on....isn't there some way?? Does anyone know anything about this?
short and simple...you are a retard if you don't wear a seatbelt for whatever reson...

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SharpTJ said:
short and simple...you are a retard if you don't wear a seatbelt for whatever reson...
What's with the name-calling?! I didn't ask for 'opinions' on wearing the darned thing, just how to shut the warning alarm off!
I'm sorry, but I've seen enough accidents go either way - my best friend in high school's mom would not have lived through an accident if she hadn't been thrown from her vehicle - it burst into flames when it came to rest at the bottom of a hill. I believe this should be a personal choice.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I wear mine but I don't like it. I agree - too many things are legislated these days. The manual has the magic sequence for disabling the warning. I'm not sure if it shuts it off permanently or just until you start the car again. You can shut it off temporarily by buckling the seat belt before you start the car, start it and then immediately (I think it's within 2 minutes) unbuckle the belt.

·
Registered
121 Posts
i find this topic very odd every time it comes up. i've never even driven with anybody in my life who doesn't wear their belt. you won't get in my car without one. it's something i've done upon getting in every car my whole life. it's the law, i don't want a ticket, and statistics show that they do help in wrecks. i've been in a couple where i just got some bad seatbelt bruising instead of a broken face. i understand it's your choice, but please reconsider.

and yes, it's possible to disconnect the alarm. there are several posts about it.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Stop saying you don't wear seatbelts, HAZMAT may be lurking!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
5twenty said:
Yep, and we DON'T want to get him started! I've seen some of his other posts.... :kooky:
I really didn't mean to get anything started here. I appreciate what everyone is saying about wearing seat belts, and appreciate the concern.
I wouldn't have asked about the alarm if I'd found a direct answer to my question when I tried to search on this topic!
Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply.

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
5twenty said:
Or saying you are going to replace the airbag warning stickers :laughlitt

·
Registered
90 Posts
We'd better end this thread quick:happyhapp

I followed the other thread on warning labels and as a part of "enforcement" in this system it still worried me to tears. Somewhere we've got to let folks decide some things for themselves or just hook up the cyborgs to take us into the new world of absolute safety from ourselves where we even have safety/warning labels on our behinds in case we eat beans!:eyebulge:
:laughlitt
M-73

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
hey, i wear my seatbelt 99% of the time, and i have disabled the "beltminder" system in my 06 GT, my F150, and even in my police cruiser. sometimes there is a reason why i dont want to wear my seatbelt. especially in my cruiser. if im in a pursuit and we are slowing down and i think the "perp" is going to bail out, i will undo my belt so i can jump out faster. dispatch cant hear me call in a location with that damn beep going off in the background. plus, in my cruiser and in my F150 the dang thing goes off when your parked! i dont wear mine when im parked. fordgrl99: by all means, wear your seatbelt. they do save lives. but if your like me, you dont need an annoying-a$$ audible beep to remind you to buckle up.... look under Beltminder System in your owners manual. it tells you how to shut the blasted thing off. (or you can unplug the little wires under your seat that go to the seatbelt...its quicker...) :handball:

·
Registered
252 Posts
fordgrl99 said:
What's with the name-calling?! I didn't ask for 'opinions' on wearing the darned thing, just how to shut the warning alarm off!
I'm sorry, but I've seen enough accidents go either way - my best friend in high school's mom would not have lived through an accident if she hadn't been thrown from her vehicle - it burst into flames when it came to rest at the bottom of a hill. I believe this should be a personal choice.
you haven't seen many MVC's then. not wearing a seatbelt saves maybe 1 person for every 999 they save.

·
Registered
87 Posts
got it solved very quickly

knock it out guys, what r you 8? the seat belt is a personal decision just like smoking, "it's dangerous but a lot like it"... to get down to the point, after 2 weeks of torture with the beeping sound over and over again, i read the manual on how to dis alarm it, and it was like you had to put the gear into 'P' and fasten and unfasten the seat belt 8-12 times in a row, just imagine the hassle. So I drove to my 5-minute-away dealership, and had to pay them about $60 to do it by programming, which means no cutting of wires, and it's been over 4 months now and no electrical or malfunctioned problems occured, THANKS GOD! try that.

·
Registered
78 Posts
You can disable them for a one time use or you can permanently disable them. Its in your owners manual on how to do it. That chime is very annoying to say the least!

·
Registered
72 Posts
My chime stops chiming whenever I put my turn signal on. My info center beep also stops beeping while my turn signal is on. I can't figure out why. I have not tested this, but perhaps the four ways also knock out the seat belt chime. The little dash light still flashes though. Strange.

·
Registered
394 Posts
RTMDA (Read The Manual Dumb-Ass)

zman99 said:
My chime stops chiming whenever I put my turn signal on. My info center beep also stops beeping while my turn signal is on. I can't figure out why. I have not tested this, but perhaps the four ways also knock out the seat belt chime. The little dash light still flashes though. Strange.
Using your four-ways to stop the seatbelt warning is a great idea...it lets all the rest of us know you're doing something stupid! j/k

I disabled mine (because my wife refuses to wear hers and she didn't like the beep) and I ALWAYS put my seat belt on as soon as I get in the car. After years and years of wearing one it does not bother me at all. Even wore mine on convoys in a HMMWV (that's a Hummer for you un-enlightened) while in Iraq. It was a ***** with all that gear on and your weapon out the window, but you never knew what kind of quick maneuver you were going to have to do that could toss you around a bit.

The instructions are in the USER'S MANUAL. It's amazing what you can find in those things:dunce: .

·
Registered
82 Posts
Fordgrl99, I'm not going to sling insults, but you're being incredibly unwise to drive without seatbelts. I know only too well (more below). If you're bound and determined not to, the easiest way to make it stop beeping is once you've started the engine to buckle and unbuckle twice in quick succession. The light will still blink on the speedo, but it won't make any noise.

As far as the wisdom (or lack therof) of not wearing belts, many can state statistics, feelings, or what "some guy" told them. I, however, can speak from personal experience. As an idiot 18 year old (I'm 49 now), I crashed my '65 Mustang by running it into a ditch at about 45mph, and hit the concrete wall holding up a driveway crossing said ditch. Needless to say, it was a dead stop. Who knows how many G's. I wasn't wearing my lap belt, and ended up going through the passenger side of the windshield up to my shoulders, and then coming back inside. Who knows why I didn't break any bones (or die), but my face got cut up very badly, the scars of which I wear to this day. They're not pretty. I have no doubt that if I was wearing my lap belt, I'd probably have slammed into the steering wheel instead and broken some ribs, but I'd have preferred that to a lifetime of living with facial scars. If it had happened with a car of today, I'd probably only have suffered some abrasions from the air bag hitting me in the face, and some bruising from the belts.

So, go ahead and drive without seat belts if you like. It's a free country, and unless a cop sees you, you'll get away with it. Unless you crash... If you don't get killed, you may have to go through the rest of your life with a disfigured face like I have. (The girls really love that, by the way.)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.