• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to put racing style seats in my 1991 GT convertible. I am soliciting opinions. Enzo, Corbeau, other? Pros and cons? Every opinion counts. The Enzo seats are cheaper from Mr. BodyKit, but Corbeau has the name and reputation that I heard of. Or is there another manufacturer out there that I haven't heard of? I would like to hook up a 4 point harness to it.

R

·
0 Posts
I would be careful with anything from Mr. Bodykit.....

There reputation is anything but stellar......

·
Registered
336 Posts
I had a set of the ProCar Racing seats in my RS for a long time after I fixed it because a cat had pissed all over my factory ones while it was parked with no engine in it. A few things to keep in mind when buying seats is most race seats are not made to be comfortable. If your car is a daily driver I am sure the comfort thing would be compounded. Also if you are a husky guy like me the race style seat might feel a little cramped at your shoulders. You might also run into height problems if it is a universal frame style seat. I had to have the frames on my Procar seats shortened so my head wasn't hitting my T-tops. :sosad: I eventually found a guy that was giving away a set of seats similar to my factory ones and I sold the Race seats. I guess the race style seats just weren't for me.

Robert

·
Banned
1,207 Posts
Look into getting the factory seats redone. I was just quoted $1300 to have all three seats redone with black leather were body contact and black vinyl elsewhere. This price included new foam for seats and also redoing door panels with matching.

As soon as I have $1300 in my pocket I'm getting this done.

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
What's the purpose of the car? More race or street? I'm guessing street since you want Corbeaus.

Any aftermarket seat looks better and is more comfortable than any stock seat. You can check out the Summit or Jegs seats, they're not as pricey as Corbeau but are lightyears better than stock seats. They accept a harness too plus they're lighter weight.

There's Recaros but they're the most expensive.

APC isn't bad but they have to put their logo in big bold colors where everyone will see it.

Attachments

·
Registered
41,829 Posts
A friend has those corbeau seat and they are pretty nice.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just a FYI.......

Racing style harness should be NEVER be used unless the car has a rollbar/cage installed......
That is good to know. Why is that? I have never heard that before, but I think I will heed your advice.

The car will be used for street use.

What's the purpose of the car? More race or street? I'm guessing street since you want Corbeaus.

Any aftermarket seat looks better and is more comfortable than any stock seat. You can check out the Summit or Jegs seats, they're not as pricey as Corbeau but are lightyears better than stock seats. They accept a harness too plus they're lighter weight.

There's Recaros but they're the most expensive.

APC isn't bad but they have to put their logo in big bold colors where everyone will see it.
The car will be used for street. You have great input. Thank you so much.

R

·
0 Posts
That is good to know. Why is that? I have never heard that before, but I think I will heed your advice.

The car will be used for street use.
In case of a rollover accident you will be held uprght and the weight of the car will be supported by your spine.....

Not a good thing......

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
Unless the harnesses are designed for street use, and the harnesses in that picture are the Corbeau double release style. They detach behind the seat to allow access to the back and they bolt in.

I believe what Reggie means by they not being recommended for street use without a roll bar or cage is because some have tried to attach them to the floor right behind the seat. In a crash, with them attached that way they will compress your spine rather than protecting you.

The ones designed for street use allow you to attach them farther back so spine compression won't occur and the double release negates the perceived loss of rear seat access due to the harnesses. The point is you want the harness to hold you back in place, not pull you down.

The double release is what I have and they go beyond regular seat belt protection when done right.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Unless the harnesses are designed for street use, and the harnesses in that picture are the Corbeau double release style. They detach behind the seat to allow access to the back and they bolt in.

I believe what Reggie means by they not being recommended for street use without a roll bar or cage is because some have tried to attach them to the floor right behind the seat. In a crash, with them attached that way they will compress your spine rather than protecting you.

The ones designed for street use allow you to attach them farther back so spine compression won't occur and the double release negates the perceived loss of rear seat access due to the harnesses. The point is you want the harness to hold you back in place, not pull you down.

The double release is what I have and they go beyond regular seat belt protection when done right.
This is all great information. I didn't know this stuff. Thank you all for your help. I am also getting opened up to a whole new world of seating that I didn't know wsas out there.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update on posting

This is all great information. I didn't know this stuff. Thank you all for your help. I am also getting opened up to a whole new world of seating that I didn't know wsas out there.

I guess what I am getting at is I want the racing seats for the look and the harness for the look. I won't be racing it in any form. I just loge that look. So where should I bolt the shoulder harness in? It's a convertible soi could install some sort of roll bar or something?...that's a question.

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
As long as you get the right model of harness, it'll be alright. Where the harness is at it's highest point, that's where you try to keep it as horizontal as possible. If you get a rollbar, then it'll be alright.

If you get the double release model, it comes with an adjustable length that will actually let you attach it to a rear shock tower. I attached mine to the rear seat belt hole. You could attach it anywhere you can, as long as it's as far back as possible and that's why the double release would be recommended because it'll still allow you to raise and tilt the seat forward. Other rigid harnesses won't allow you to do that and make rear seat/area access a pain.

http://www.corbeau.com/products/harness_belts/

·
Banned
1,784 Posts
In case of a rollover accident you will be held uprght and the weight of the car will be supported by your spine.....

Not a good thing......
but the other thing to think about is if you do roll over in a convertible........well, i think we all know what is a going to happen if you dont have a cage. Crunch.....

now what would happen if you had harness bolted into the floor and you were involved in a front end, side, or rear end collision?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Corbeau's are pretty nasty I have a set and they are pretty comfortable.

Side note, as far as harnesses go MOST racing harnesses are illegal for street use. Officers can get you with a ticket depending on your state.

There are a FEW that are DOT approved but they are very expensive.

+ 1 to weld in roll bar for the harnesses.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Definitely look to see if that model of seat is comfortable for your body size as I am built like a linebacker short, stocky and wide and some of those higher priced seats are just not comfortable.

·
Registered
912 Posts
i had summit drag racing seats in my jeep, the high side bucket kind for dragsters lol, they actually werent too bad, i had the padded covers on them and i drove 2.5 hours to visit a freind and didnt feel to bad, but if you need to acces he rear seat there fixed seats, so bad idea, but i got them for 35 bucks a peice and another 30ish for the covers and made my own frames for them

·
Registered
636 Posts
Corbeau's are pretty nasty I have a set and they are pretty comfortable.

Side note, as far as harnesses go MOST racing harnesses are illegal for street use. Officers can get you with a ticket depending on your state.

There are a FEW that are DOT approved but they are very expensive.

+ 1 to weld in roll bar for the harnesses.
x2. ive actually gotten a ticket for only wearing my 5 point harness and not the standard seat belt...i had no idea untill that point that it was against the law. stay far away from procar seats. ive had 2 sets and they are ugly, uncomfortable, and dont last. spend the big bucks and get corrbeu or reccaro seats.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
interesting. In that case I think I will go with some stylish seats with a traditional belt with the option to upgrade later.

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
I've been stopped for "not wearing a seat belt" and they each told me what I have goes beyond what's required for street legality. They've even tugged on the thing and said that's more safe than a regular seat belt and they all let me go. One went further and said because both shoulders are supported rather than a single belt coming across is better.

That would come down to the officers themselves, whether or not they'll enforce it down to the letter of the law. The ones with brains would realize a harness is better than the retarded stock belt.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.