Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a vibration that I can feel in the seat while I drive. It gets worse the faster I go and I have noticed that it will continue to vibrate as long as I am going fast enough and even if I have the clutch depressed. As I slow down it dissipates.

I know last time I had the car jacked up I had a little play in the driveshaft.

Also, depending on how easy I engage the clutch it seems like there is a little bit of a "clunk" not an audible clunk just something you can feel.

My intuition tells me that my u-joints are totally shot and I have to replace them. What do you guys think?

Also, I was contemplating purchasing the FRPP M-4602-G Aluminum Driveshaft
1979-95 Mustang Ford Racing Aluminum Driveshaft, M-4602-G at LRS - Same Day Shipping!
Does anybody have this driveshaft and what are your opinions??

·
Registered
372 Posts
same thing happens to me just not as bad and only in 5th gear or anything over 4krpm. from what i read it might the u joints bad harmonic balancer bent drive shaft or it could be something in your trans if its still happening when you push in the clutch. so what im going to do is take off the drive shaft and go from there.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should clarify I'm pretty sure it isn't the transmission.

The vibration is only based on speed. I can put it in any gear or neutral, with or without the clutch engaged and as long as I am going about 40mph or greater the vibration is present.

I also know my harmonic balancer is in great condition.

If it was something in my transmission that I could feel while in neutral then I would guess that it would do it at a standstill as well!!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Sounds like my truck prob.The drive shaft cracked where the joint sits in.Could really feel it at 60/70.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does anybody have the Aluminum driveshaft installed in theirs?

What do you think of it?

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Aluminum driveshaft is a + !!!! And you definelty need u joints. If it doesnt go away after that you may need axle bearings.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Aluminum driveshaft is a + !!!! And you definelty need u joints. If it doesnt go away after that you may need axle bearings.
Thanks man!! I just ordered one from Summit Racing and I threw some red loctite in with the order.

I hope I don't need axle bearings, the vibration just started yesterday.

If I do need axle bearings then I guess Adkins Race Cars in Milan, MI is going to get a call from me and I'm going to have to order the gear set I've been looking at.

One quick question, 3.73's or 4.10's???? I'm leaning towards 3.73's

I don't really drive on the highway too much, just to go to my Dad's house once in a while. I tend to take US-24 though because I enjoy the leisurely drive.

US-24 is 55mph
I-75 and every other highway around here is 70mph

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
with that mild hwy I would use 4.10 but the popular choice for 5 speed is 3.73

·
Registered
16 Posts
Any updates? Did you get your driveshaft in yet?? I know Summit gets stuff to you with the quickness!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I got it installed and that vibration is gone. I just have to figure out what is vibrating up front that I can feel in the steering wheel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts