Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...Back with more questions...

Thinking about upgrading seats to get some better side support. However, I was informed that the 07+ mustangs have side airbags and if i want to deactivate the side airbag harness i would have to just basically do an airbag delete. I'm still using the car for daily use, so I don't know if i should deactivate my airbags. Also, is there anyways to only deactivate or bypass the side airbags and still retaining the steering wheel and passenger airbags? I'm not looking for taking this car to the track any time soon but there are some back roads allow me to speed things up a little bit and it is very curvy, which means some side support on a bucket seat would be nice...

Also, I was told it is not a good idea to run a harness without a rollcage. But I also noticed that there are a lot of people using the Corbeau harness bar that sits behind the seats at about shoulder height. Is that safe or not??

Thanks guys

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
The idea is, the harness holds you upright when the roof caves in during a roll-over. Good for your back if you have a roll cage, really bad for your head and neck if you don't.
But I also noticed that there are a lot of people using the Corbeau harness bar that sits behind the seats at about shoulder height. Is that safe or not??
I see people smoking while filling up lawn mowers too.

·
Registered
9,950 Posts
I think the airbag thing is going to be a problem with upgrading the seats; I have been looking in to better seats also and haven't really figured it all out yet but I am also concerned about the air bags; don't know enough about how that whole system works to know how to modify it safely.

hmmmm, I think I just saw a thread about it somewhere though, check the 2011-2014 forum.

I thought that Recaros from a 2012+ Boss or Track Pack car would be the answer; but read somewhere recently that the wiring is different so even if you could find the seats, it might now work out.

Regarding the roll bar -- I have also read that it is a bad idea to use a harness without a full roll bar; like Dana said the harness will hold you upright in the seat and if the roof crushes in a roll-over that could be really bad. The regular shoulder belt allows you to bend over if the roof comes down. If you need a harness you are going way too fast for the street anyway, need to find a local road track!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well it surly is sad to see that the track seats won't work...I do take the car to track occasionally, but the problem of these stock seats is they have almost none side support for me...which is why i'm thinking about investing in aftermarket seats. Speaking of rollcage, is a 4pt rollbar set up enough? Or would I need a full 8pt cage with roof support?

·
Registered
9,950 Posts
Track seats will work, but the airbags won't work with them (to some extent, not sure if it defeats the entire system or only the ones in the seat)

I don't know all the ins and outs of roll bars; but the basic idea is that you want one that goes all the way up to the roof

1 - 5 of 5 Posts