Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there any way to adjust the weights on the secondaries? they are vacume open and most of the time they will not open during WOT.(once in awhile they will at very high rpm)

i have a rebuild kit and was going to go through it and was just wondering if i could fit that while i have the carb apart.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Silly question, have you checked for vacuum leaks first? Always go after the easiest and most obvious? It saves time and it is easier to do with out disassembly of anything at first. You may not even need to rebuild your carbs. Are they Edelbrock square bore?
The best thing to do is get starting fluid and put the spray straw on it and start to spray each hose individually and see it the car’s idle slows or speeds up.
Hope this helps. Let me know what you find out.
Mike

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some lines I have checked. I Also have a sputter that's y I'm rebuilding it.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
When you say they'll open at a VERY HIGH RPM, doesn't sound right with vacuum secondaries. Check your linkage for the secondary, make sure everything moves freely nothing binding. Because at high RPMS' your actually running less vacuum, it sounds like you have something sticking up on your carb. If your going to have to rebuild, or replace I would go with a HOLLEY DOUBLE PUMPER with mechanical secondaries. At least you can set your secondaries, where you want them to come in at also fine tune it better, Mike. SCT Tuner.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The carb is an edelbrock /weber/afb. I have checked for binding,it's not. I would switch to a holly but I already have the rebuild kit and two carbs. Under wot it's now anyones guess if they open today. I only got them to once today. The car is also underpowered(even for just the two barrel) I'm also starting to think I have more then one problem. Tried a burn out in second and all it did was try to stallout.(it hasn't ever been that dead) and a low rpm studer has started.
Sounds like more then 1 problem to me now.

Thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
35 Posts
Vacuum secondaries will not open under high RPM. Also no matter how high you rev an engine in neutral you will not see the secondaries open. A high load (high vacuum) is the only thing that will open secondaries. Try placing a rag over the primaries and revving the engine to test secondary operation. Not sure about Edelbrock, but Holley make a spring kit to change how/when the seconds kick in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.