Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to install a security system into my 1970 Coupe, I know they are really not all that effective but at least feel a bit more comfortable with one installed. Any suggestions.
A few things I think might be nice:
1. Remote Start
2. Disabler
3. Hood open detection
4. Motion detector
5. Glass break or open door detection
6. Lots of noise if sounded

Don't want to spend too much either

L

·
0 Posts
You might look at the Viper systems. believe it or not LoJack is still around and there are even several newer companies offering the same type of service. Bruce

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I guess you've already realized that these cars are fairly easy to steal. So protecting it from the "Professional Thief" is pretty much impossible. Most of us with these classics have to worry about the joy riding teen. So putting a visible deterrent would be the first line of defense. Something as simple as "The Club" has saved many a car. But a determined thief will blow right by "The Club". BTW: forget the noise alarms. At least in Calif., they are limited to 30 seconds of audible time. Nobody pays attention anyway.

So I recommend an ignition interrupt of some kind. They are not visible and you can hide the switch or step-pad under the carpet. They are fairly inexpensive and you can install them yourself. Be aware they are a PIA when it comes to Valet parking or other situations where someone else will be driving your car. You can tell them over and over how to start your car but they will never remember when it comes time to bring it to you.

Lo Jack is still pretty good. Not cheap but effective. I've gotten a car back (undamaged) because it had Lo Jack. Never caught the thief but that's not my problem. Car was located within 4 hours of reporting it stolen. Not bad in LA.
My opinion only. Good Luck. :winks

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Hello JMILES5,
As the others have mentioned a professional crook will get your car
if they want BUT - -they normally go for HIGh end stuff like Shelbiy's.

I like the idea of a LOJACK system or something like that.

I NEVER let anyone park my car - sorry Papa Joe but I am picky.

I agree about the noise devices. People don't care.

I would rig a device that kills the ignition. Such as grounding the coil
to a switch in the car. In the OLD days - -we would run ground system into the
cigarette lighter. Very functional and pretty simple.

You want to stop KIDS from a joy ride.

I DO NOT remote start. Even the kids now have devices that can bypass them.

No I think several security measures that make it harder for the bad guys works well.

I agree with 65 Fixup - -Make it appear hard. I always put a business car in the front window that said "Projected by Smith and Wesson".

Look at some OLD school security ideas. Simple things like removing the rotor when you park. Problem with that one - is if the kids see you do this over and over they will figure it out.

Print Dad

·
Registered
206 Posts
I got my wife a viper alarm. I thought the trick was getting the thief out of the car. At radio shack they sell these buzzards for 10 bucks that will absolutly get in your brain and leave you dizzy in literally a second. I tried it out in an open room and it wasnt bearable. I can only imagine in the confined area of a car. My wife forbid me from doing it. She was scared if it ever went off in the car she would wreck.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
The best insurance you can afford.I'm a repo man the snatch trucks we use can pick up a car in 30 sec and never leave the cab.I'm honest but there's a lot of people who ain't out there.Last summer i almost had my 68 car jacked from me,I was parking in a walmart parking lot a guy came up on me with a knife.He turned white as a ghost when he seen my 1911 in his face and took off.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I'd argue an alarm system is a false sense of security. It is like a $300 deadbolt on your front door. Sure looks fancy and it is strong, but a brick through the sliding glass door makes that lock moot.

A hidden kill switch is the most effective. It will completely stop an amateur and most pros will check the obvious places and if they don't see it, hopefully they will move on. The sad fact is, if the pro wants your car, he will get it.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Okay, here's my 2cts, everybody has given good advice, my ideas on thieves, you can slow them down or make your alarm make noise, There are alarms that if they touch the car it goes off, there are alarms that will page a pager, I personally like the idea of a chain on the hood to the bottom of the radiator support in addition to an alarm, my daughter had an alarm on her Sunfire, it went bad one morning, I popped the hood, cut the wires on the alarm horn, and since it was an old model and I couldn't get any help from the alarm company, I removed it, took about 10 minutes, they didn't even hook up the disable, even though it had a relay for it the car is fuel injected. Good Luck.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
Most of us are numb to alarms i can't count the cars i have towed in the middle of the night alarm screaming no one ever looks out.The club buster will take the club off in 60 sec it even works on the brake pedal lock thing they sell now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts