Ford Mustang Forum banner

Sensors if cats are unbolted

785 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Stallion44 
#1 ·
I was just wondering if there would be a problem if I unbolted the cats and ran the car like that. I wouldn't go anywhere. I was just curious to see what it sounded like with just the headers on :) no real reason other than that.

#2 ·
There wouldn't be any problems except an engine light from the computer seeing they weren't there. A simple clearing of the codes after will fix that.

#4 ·
Once you clear the code, will it come back on later?

#5 ·
the code will come back on after the computer does its driving cycle...

#7 ·
That's something I'd have to get in a tune, correct?
I don't remember reading any option about turning my 02 sensors off...

#8 ·
To code will be thrown again if the cats aren't put back on. He was just asking if he took them off and heard the sound without them, if there would be any problems. He wasn't talking about anything permanent yet.

Yes a tune can be used to disable the sensors and keep the engine light off, but if your state has emissions testing, that's a big no-no.

To get a tune with them off, you'd have to put it in the "extra" box at the bottom of the form.

#10 ·
Hey thanks for all the info guys. Did anyone do this? I mean the take them off and hear it for fun thing? I actually would want to delete my cats, but have no idea how to use my tuner....One day I'll figure it out. I don't even know exactly what kind of tune I have. I brought it to a SCT dealer here in Hawaii and he did everything for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.