Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My G/F has a 1994 and the belt fell off, it had a bad idle wheel.
Anyway, I replaced the wheel, the new one is steel and a bit bigger, old was plastic, However I can't seem to get the tensioner loose.

I read on this forum that it takes a #55 Torx, so I bought one, and reefed on it (getting maybe a 1/4 - 1/2 turn total, now the Torx is bent.

Also they said the threads are reversed (left-hand) so I was turning clockwise.

What is the secret to loosening this tensioner, or putting the belt on???

HELP!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wait, so you have already replaced the pulley? To replace the pulley, the threads are reversed. But to install the belt, it needs to go counter-clockwise on the 16mm bolt.....
I replaced the Idle wheel pully - not the tensioner pulley.

So is the tensioner pulley (regular hex-bolt), left-hand threads, or is it the tensioner arm bolt (Torx#55) that is left-hand threaded?

I basically just want to adjust the tensioner to put the belt back on.

Anyone have any pics or diagram?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I replaced the Idle wheel pully - not the tensioner pulley.

So is the tensioner pulley (regular hex-bolt), left-hand threads, or is it the tensioner arm bolt (Torx#55) that is left-hand threaded?

I basically just want to adjust the tensioner to put the belt back on.

Anyone have any pics or diagram?

Replaced Idle wheel - Blue, Trying to adjust Tension arm (Torx#55) - Orange, not take off the tension wheel - red

I Just need to get the Belt on.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now we got you. Okay, take a 16mm socket, put it on the tensioner pulley, and turn it counter-clockwise to bring the pulley up high enough to install the belt....
AH Sht !
Ok I'll try that

... I hope I didn't Fk up the bolt that holds the arm on (the Torx#55)

Thanks for the reply!

I'm also on a Jeep group - there everyone posts picture (I would have but the car is at her house)
Also the 1st posts-comments I read weren't quite clear ...!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok apparently, while I was gone the neighbor tried to put the belt on and the tension arm broke off!
The #55 Torx bolt was probably weakened from all the torquing on it :?:
I'll take pics later when I get there.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Wow that sucks, now youve got a little bigger problem on you hands. From my experience you just use a breaker bar turn the tensioner ccw and it moves out of the way to where you can install the belt, let go of the breaker bar and your good to go.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow that sucks, now youve got a little bigger problem on you hands. From my experience you just use a breaker bar turn the tensioner ccw and it moves out of the way to where you can install the belt, let go of the breaker bar and your good to go.
Yeah...
I wish I'd gotten a clearer response sooner - just read through threads, then jumped in to ask, didn't have a pic, got the wrong response !!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts