Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a very amateur mechanic and when replacing the o-ring on my distributor I didnt make the necessary markings to set the distributor back in right. Now I cant get the car running right, even if it cranks at all.
I know the process I have to do but dont know where to set the timing marks on the vibration damper.
Anyone dealt with this before?

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Timing

Not to worry, I've got your solution. Start with removing the number one spark plug(passenger side front cylinder). Next you will need a friend or a remote starter. Place your thumb over the spark plug hole and "bump" the starter. Refrain from sticking anything into the cylinder. As you bump the starter you will feel pressure from the Compression stroke. You now can align the timing marks on the harmonic balancer to 0 TDC. Finally set the rotor about 1/4 to 1/5 of a turn before number one on the cap and drop it in you might have to do this a few times to get it to line up.If you do miss the correct position you should be able to lift the distributor up enough to feel the teeth disengage and move one tooth at a time to find the right position. One more note make sure the distributor is FULLY seated before you install the clamp. if it sticks up around a 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch it has not engaged the the oil pump drive shaft. If it will not drop all the way put the cap on and while pushing down gently bump the starter it should drop in pretty easily though if the everything is back where it was when you pulled the distributor out. Now set your timing and you'll be good to go.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts