Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have been looking for a job for almost 4 months now with absolutely no luck. The only way my car stays on the road is from doing things for neighbors like washing there cars, changing oil, brakes, around the house things, and mowing grass. So on fathers day after having a dinner with family at my grandparents house, im on my way home coming down the road (keep in mind the speed limit is 35 but i usually go about 20 because of kids and people jogging) about to turn onto my street doing nothing wrong when i notice a cop sitting to my left in a neighbors drive way. I didn't think anything of it really and kept going onto my street. I pull into my drive way and turn my car off and he is in my drive way, behind my car, BLOCKING ME IN! He gives me a $116 ticket for a tinted license plate cover that has been on my car for almost 2 years!! He gave me 3 options: 1. I can pay the ticket. 2. I can fight the ticket in court. 3. I can remove the defect within 30 days and have it proven that it was removed then have it signed off and not have to pay it.

Yesterday i went to the courthouse and talked to the lady at the traffic fines desk and she said that because of how he wrote the ticket, the only option i have is to pay it or fight it :madas: So with only $36 in my pocket, i had to have my grandpa help me out and pay it. Im not one to hate on cops, they protect us and he was just doing his job but seriously unbelievable. There are tonsss of cars in my town with all sorts of blacked out lights and illegal stuff on and in there cars that drive around speeding. A couple of days ago some crack head robbed a Walgreens with a bowie knife near my house, he took all the supply of some sort of drug (cant remember) and ran off into the woods. They found him with a needle in his arm injecting it. There are people like that in my town but yet hes pulling me over for doing nothing wrong and a $3 piece of plastic on my car

This is the only pic i have that shows how visible the license plate cover was. On the ticket he wrote it was unreadable. :heha:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Why'd you have it covered in the first place if you knew it was illegal?
Cops get people on simple things like that to give them a reason to check your record.
al capone was caught because he didnt pay taxes on a few hundred dollars...

·
Registered
291 Posts
For a second there thought the #8 cylinder issue had caused one of.your brakes to fall off....

·
Registered
288 Posts
fight it... fight it all the way

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why'd you have it covered in the first place if you knew it was illegal?
Cops get people on simple things like that to give them a reason to check your record.
al capone was caught because he didnt pay taxes on a few hundred dollars...
I only had it covered because it looked better. Plus it wasn't even dark and you could still easily read it. I have been pulled over probably 4 times (it was a taillight problem from being rear ended) with that cover on there and they all had no problem with it. And pulling me over for it is one thing, the other is that he said i could remove it and not have to pay it, plus a simple warning would have been just fine if he wanted to check my record :/

·
Registered
101 Posts
I would have went to the station and showed him you removed it.That's what we do here with broken lights.

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
well bro, maybe it's time to grow up...seriously anytime you try to "beat the man", you will pay...you know you can't cover the license plate, man up and take your punishment...esp in Florida, cops use those minor infractions to look for bigger lawbreakers, drug runner etc...your tag says "I flaunt the law"...
I'd ask if the cop could come to the hearing and ask him about the options he mentioned...not the time to cop an attitude, put on a suit and act like a civilized member of society and tell the judge/cop your situation, you'd be surprised how they might respond if just admit you were wrong, remedied the situation and would like it dismissed
By the way, that is how you get a job...act like a man, put yourself in the owner's position and tell them you will bust your ass to make them money...there are tons of jobs for people who will work, few for excuse makers.

·
Registered
288 Posts
well bro, maybe it's time to grow up...seriously anytime you try to "beat the man", you will pay...you know you can't cover the license plate, man up and take your punishment...esp in Florida, cops use those minor infractions to look for bigger lawbreakers, drug runner etc...your tag says "I flaunt the law"...
I'd ask if the cop could come to the hearing and ask him about the options he mentioned...not the time to cop an attitude, put on a suit and act like a civilized member of society and tell the judge/cop your situation, you'd be surprised how they might respond if just admit you were wrong, remedied the situation and would like it dismissed
By the way, that is how you get a job...act like a man, put yourself in the owner's position and tell them you will bust your ass to make them money...there are tons of jobs for people who will work, few for excuse makers.
i agree with this completely, but at the same time hes made some good points. one being that a simple warning would have done. i know the man was doing his job, but look at his picture, its clearly visible through the tint. maybe its lighting, i dont know. my point is i kinda think the cop was giving the "kid with a mustang" a hard time.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Like said above, remove the cover and take it to court and explain to the judge that you've learned your lesson and your employment problems and kinda throw yourself on the mercy of the court.

One other thing that I haved learned over the years is, always go to court....you never know how things will go, dress up (sign of respect) explain yourself with real English (yes sir no sir) and you may have a chance, never just rollover! Oh yeah one other thing NEVER use "well I see other people with them, how come they didn't get a ticket?" These are your rights USE THEM!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I completely understand what your saying but i did accept the punishment. I agreed to just live with it and not fight it because the cover is illegal, it was on my car, and i was caught for it plus its my word against his like i said. I responded yes and no sir to him when he was talking, i never got an attitude with him, and i respected him. Its just the fact that he tells me i could remove it and not pay it, then hands me a ticket that dosnt give me that option. I was fair with him so why couldn't he do the same back? But cops will be cops i guess. And as for jobs, i was doing construction labor for awhile lifting concrete blocks, digging ditches, and sweeping and cleaning trash from 6am to 6pm for $7.25 an hour. My only break was in a trailer that was 109 degrees. Im used to busting my ass and have no problem showing it. Its much harder finding a job in my small town since 70+ year olds control everything. To them all people younger then 25 are hoodlums, there are no opportunities for younger people. I have put in applications everywhere that i can. Im 19 and people in my town my age are either at college partying or at there parents still doing drugs. Very few of them are willing to work like im trying too.

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
you know what 5 ooh love?, the problem with your excuse list is you're not on it, do you think any of us haven't experienced the same thing? You have it so much better in this generation than any other it's rediculous...
The way you make it in this world is to distance yourself from the pack, tell a potential employer exactly what you typed in your last sentence, I'm sure there are restaurants to bus tables or wash dishes, I'm sure there are more lawns to be mowed, toilets to be scrubbed or cars to be detailed, yeah, hate the job, but embrace the opportunity.
When I was 19 I wanted to be a waiter...no experience, no dice...so I started as busboy, after 6 months I was easily promoted since I knew the business so well (I used the money that first summer to buy my first mustang, a 1966), I'm sure there are many opportunities like this if you just ask around and have a good attitude.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Like said above, remove the cover and take it to court and explain to the judge that you've learned your lesson and your employment problems and kinda throw yourself on the mercy of the court.

One other thing that I haved learned over the years is, always go to court....you never know how things will go, dress up (sign of respect) explain yourself with real English (yes sir no sir) and you may have a chance, never just rollover! Oh yeah one other thing NEVER use "well I see other people with them, how come they didn't get a ticket?" These are your rights USE THEM!
Exactly what was said. Take it to court, be respectful and show them a picture of the car with the infraction fixed with a time stamped picture and even a newspaper next to it. But stay respectful and professional as they represent the law.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Sounds like you should visit a recruiting station. If you can't find jobs at home I am sure the military may have an education and full time job to offer. Plus lots of benefits.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I completely agree, the officer should have given you a simple.warning.now if you were being a smart ass i understandbut that's ridiculous. I have the same problem in my stang except im constsntly getting.pulled over for my exhaust. They see a young kid in a stang and wanna bust your nuts, thats ok just be polite and there wont be a problem, so far its worked for me.

Oh and good luck finding a job, dont stop looking!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Come on now lets not be so hard on him. As a fellow 19 yr broke teenager in college with a mustang I know what its like to be hassled Ive been pulled over at least 4 times for my seat belts. Apparently 4 point harnesses bolted into a roll bar with stage 8 locking bolts is less safe then the oem seat belts in you're average car. But as far as the jobs thing i can believe it I also live in a small town pretty much run by old people and if you don't know somebody where you're applying you wont get the job.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
you know what 5 ooh love?, the problem with your excuse list is you're not on it, do you think any of us haven't experienced the same thing? You have it so much better in this generation than any other it's rediculous...
The way you make it in this world is to distance yourself from the pack, tell a potential employer exactly what you typed in your last sentence, I'm sure there are restaurants to bus tables or wash dishes, I'm sure there are more lawns to be mowed, toilets to be scrubbed or cars to be detailed, yeah, hate the job, but embrace the opportunity.
When I was 19 I wanted to be a waiter...no experience, no dice...so I started as busboy, after 6 months I was easily promoted since I knew the business so well (I used the money that first summer to buy my first mustang, a 1966), I'm sure there are many opportunities like this if you just ask around and have a good attitude.
The thing is i have asked around with a great attitude for about 4 months. I always get "were too slow right now and don't need anybody, but heres an application". I fill it out, hand it to them, say have a nice day and go on to the next one. My town is ran on tourism so right now isn't a good time at all. Thats mostly why im having such a bad time with finding a job. And believe me, i have gone to restaurants to try as anything they have and always the same "were slow now" speech. The 1 Mcdonalds in my town even said there not hiring right now. I just need to get outa this town.

Sounds like you should visit a recruiting station. If you can't find jobs at home I am sure the military may have an education and full time job to offer. Plus lots of benefits.
I talked to a recruiting officer for almost an hour and a half and went through the questions he had to ask. As soon as he got to the part about asthma, i said i had an inhaler incase i had a flair up or an attack since i used to when i was younger and he said that that's the end of it right there, he said sorry but its a disqualification for anyone with asthma or breathing problems.

·
Registered
102 Posts
at my job, when we get slow they lay people off, police run low on funding, they just write more tickets to cover there salary, that is what they have been doing in minnesota

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
That is unfortunate. Can't really do much about it though.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Here ya go I was 20 years old working hard labor installing any kind of fence you could think of making $9.50 hr no benefits just my check. I got tired of it and said hey Dean where is your life gonna take you in 5 yrs doing this kinda work. I told my self I was gonna do something better for my future. So I went to the Air Force recruiter and had a talk this was in Jan. of 2010. 18 May 2010 I left for basic training got out of basic around mid July went straight to tech school and left tech school around the end of Sep. I went home on two weeks of leave and two weeks of rap (recruiters assistance program) then I headed down to Valdosta, Ga. to my duty station. If you wana stay home I advise going gaurd or reserve. If you go gaurd or reserve tell me how hard it is for you to find a part time job atleast while the military pays for you to go to school and get a career.

If you got any questions about anything pm me I will help you out and I am not trying to talk you into the Air Force but for a career I do advise Air Force or Navy!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts