Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of sudden, when pulling out of my parking spot today, I lost power steering, and immediately stopped my car to see what was up. When I popped the hood, I noticed my serpentine belt had popped off. It's still well in tact and in good shape. After re-attaching it 3 times, I can't keep the thing on there. Whenever I start the engine, it immediately pops back off. I'm definitely sure, I've got the routing proper, as I'm consulting the diagram.

I can't figure out what is going on, besides thinking that maybe one of the pulleys is a bit crooked, as I ran my hand up and down it, and noticed that the belt was feeding from one pulley to another just a tiny tiny bit crooked. However, none of the pulleys seem loose in the least bit.

Is this a common problem? How easy is this to get fixed? What should I do?

This is a 2005 Mustang Convertible V6 by the way.

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
Never heard of that one. Is it still under tension when put on?
The belt could just be worn out.

J

·
0 Posts
^+1 to Mr. Administrator. Quite possibly your tensioner has gone bad (snapped a spring), or the belt is exceedingly worn (I'd say more likely the tensioner). The tensioner should have index-marks on it to check for both conditions. How do those line up? How easy is it to flex the belt on the longest run between pulleys?

By the way, U of H '93 Cullen College of Engineering. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help guys! First thing tomorrow, I will take another look, and see if I can tell any damage to the tensioner or the crank pulley.

@Jozsefsz: Always glad to meet another cougar on the web! Eat 'em up!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
take a good look at your crank pulley. if the rubber ring on the frt is tattered looking, the pulley is coming apart and its out of line. 1st pic is tattered, 2nd is what will happen if it is.
Bingo. This is my issue. I don't know why I didn't realize it before, but the crank pulley doesn't even want to rotate anymore. Looking at the front face of it, the rubber ring IS tattered.

Thanks for helping me to diagnose this! Are these difficult to replace? I'd rather not call a mechanic if it's simple enough.

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
Bingo. This is my issue. I don't know why I didn't realize it before, but the crank pulley doesn't even want to rotate anymore. Looking at the front face of it, the rubber ring IS tattered.

Thanks for helping me to diagnose this! Are these difficult to replace? I'd rather not call a mechanic if it's simple enough.
sorry to hear it,lol....its a simple job that can be a real pain. the pulley is not cheap, 130-150.00. you`ll have to pull the fan, i cant remember if i pulled the radiator. i used a impact gun to remove the bolt. a pulley puller doesnt work too good cause the thing is so deep, my (metric) bolts wouldnt reach, but i pulled the ring and then the rest off with a large 3 jaw puller, and even then i had to come up with a spacer for the shaft to get all the way into the pulley. also, when you replace it, you need to replace the large bolt also, thats another 7.00 at the dealer. its a common problem on the 4.0`s, at least the older s197`s and the trucks too. the replacement pulleys are alot nicer as far as the rubber face to keep water out, and being able to pull it cause its made different. might be harder to see one go bad now though.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sorry to hear it,lol....its a simple job that can be a real pain. the pulley is not cheap, 130-150.00. you`ll have to pull the fan, i cant remember if i pulled the radiator. i used a impact gun to remove the bolt. a pulley puller doesnt work too good cause the thing is so deep, my (metric) bolts wouldnt reach, but i pulled the ring and then the rest off with a large 3 jaw puller, and even then i had to come up with a spacer for the shaft to get all the way into the pulley. also, when you replace it, you need to replace the large bolt also, thats another 7.00 at the dealer. its a common problem on the 4.0`s, at least the older s197`s and the trucks too. the replacement pulleys are alot nicer as far as the rubber face to keep water out, and being able to pull it cause its made different. might be harder to see one go bad now though.
I really appreciate your help! I will need this info, I'm sure.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I opted to take this to the mechanic instead of screwing things up doing this job myself. I haven't had time to do it anyway.

They claimed I needed a new tensioner pulley along with the crankshaft pulley, and put on a new belt for good measure. Cost me $525 for this one. Ouch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.