Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all. I had an alternator issue last year that I think might have been due to a very tight belt. The alternator charged fine but made nasty whirring noises - bearing issues was my guess. Now the belt the car had on was, in my opinion, very tight. 70.5" with only the alternator and power steering as accessories being driven (no smog, no a/c, stock pulleys).

I swapped that alt out over the winter for a 1-wire Powermaster 140A and a slightly longer belt. I tried to fit a 71.5" belt but the tensioner pushed the belt nearly onto itself as it came around the alt pulley. So I picked up a 71" and the fit seems better - pig to get on mind you.

With it installed, I changed the oil and fired her up last weekend with no issues. Having said that, the 70" belt still seems tight to me but the tensioner really cranks down on it which, I guess, is its job.

My question is, do your tensioners leave any play/deflection in the belt at all?

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
They do give some, when the belt gets too tight it'll overcome the tensioner and it'll move.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.