Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday while I was driving and everything seemed fine, the Service Engine light came on, solid. Just over 3k miles.

I remember in horror a few threads where this issue ended up being caused by some kind of oil leak with the engine in need of being replaced altogether.

Does anyone know of instances of the light coming on for other reasons?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Rick don't panic, check engine light can be on for any number of reasons. There are multiple sensors on your vehicle with multiple parameters for each one to meet. If any of these are not met meaning a comprehensive fault with the sensor, wiring or anything in between, then the light will come on when a code is set letting you know you need to take it in to have it analyzed. It could have been as simple as the 02 sensor didnt switch fast enough and set a fault code. May be erroneous fault code that is stored by just a glitch in a sensor. You wont know until someone pulls the code and does diagnosis. The possibility of you needing a motor because of a check engine light are almost non existent. Unless you are like thousands of others who have added a modified tune that kills the engine because of poor engineering on the tuners part.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Just take it by an Autozone and have them pull the code for you, then you'll know.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
^ could be as simple as a bad gas cap. relax all is well if its running good and full of fluids.
the 5l does not have a gas cap. but it could be something simple.

·
Registered
613 Posts
As far as I know 99% of all new vehicles gas caps are tied into the emission system. Wifes Taurus gas cap set off her engine light when she forgot to tighten it down like its supposed to be.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
As far as I know 99% of all new vehicles gas caps are tied into the emission system. Wifes Taurus gas cap set off her engine light when she forgot to tighten it down like its supposed to be.
ok maybe you will understand if you see a picture.

·
Registered
71 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
That little flapper still has to seal up the same as a regular gas cap does or there will be EVAP system codes.

For what it's worth you can get a locking plug to go in the end of the filler neck. Got mine from the dealer, was about 20 bucks.

Not that any of this has much to do with the thread. Pull the code and report back.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Dang they really try to make things cost way more to fix and easier to go wrong dont they? As far as the seal on there i agree it should still seal the system as a reg cap would. Wow whats next..no air breather box, the filters in the hood and seals when you close it. Ahhh and this is exactly why im getting a late 80s or early 90s fox body....simple fire, fuel, air or water..not 6,000 sensors that can get buggy. The 400+ hp is sweet, but 200-300 hp makes me smile like a starved kid let loose in a candy store.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts