Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so i just installed a new cold air intake on my 03 v6 and everything seems like its working fine except my check engine light is on. does it need like a new tune or something because of the new amount of cold air going to the engine? the car isn't making any weird noises or anything like that. any help would be appreciated.
:cooldude:

·
Registered
259 Posts
If the diameter of the intake pipe is different from the stock, you definitely need a tune.

If the diameter is the same, you may or may not need a tune, depending on the difference in amount of air and speed compared to stock but the only way to confirm that is by data logging and if you are to do that, you might as well tune to be safe and get maximum benefit out of the intake.

so yea, you need a tune.

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
no no no. the only time you need a tune is if the diameter of the mass airflow sensor housing is changed. in that case it needs to be recalibrated. the engine will learn how to handle the new high flow filter you have on there(because essentially thats all that has changed). so. what code is the check engine light giving. a scanner needs to be plugged in. some parts stores will do it free. get the number and then come right back and tell us. do not let them make you buy something. chances are you just forgot to do something while installing it(missed the pcv hose, forgot to plug in the maf, forgot to plug in or plug up the iat sensor hole.)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no no no. the only time you need a tune is if the diameter of the mass airflow sensor housing is changed. in that case it needs to be recalibrated. the engine will learn how to handle the new high flow filter you have on there(because essentially thats all that has changed). so. what code is the check engine light giving. a scanner needs to be plugged in. some parts stores will do it free. get the number and then come right back and tell us. do not let them make you buy something. chances are you just forgot to do something while installing it(missed the pcv hose, forgot to plug in the maf, forgot to plug in or plug up the iat sensor hole.)
ok i had a diagnostic run on my car at autozone, and the code that i got was P0122
it also says that "the TP sensor signal 1 circuit has reported an aaor low voltage"

·
Registered
734 Posts
check that you didnt disconnect or somehow damage the wires going to the small black device on the end of the throttlebody opposite from the throttle cables. its likely loose, cut, damaged, or such, if not maybe the sensor was somehow damaged....

make sure the plug is seated tight and straight before replacing, and that the wires arent broken.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
check that you didnt disconnect or somehow damage the wires going to the small black device on the end of the throttlebody opposite from the throttle cables. its likely loose, cut, damaged, or such, if not maybe the sensor was somehow damaged....

make sure the plug is seated tight and straight before replacing, and that the wires arent broken.
alright i checked all the wires to see if any of them were damaged or loose, and none of them seemed to be. im thinking maybe i should just take it to the dealer and see what they can do, but anyway thanks for the help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts