Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...I have a 99 V6 and the check engine light has been on for awhile. I finally wen to Checker last week and the code that the guy got was P0301 which is apparently "Cylinder 1 Misfire."

Anyone know what I need to do to get this fixed? Is it expensive? And does this effect the MPG I'm getting from my car? How dangerous is it to continue driving with this?

I need my car to pass emissions in May and this obviously is gonna obstruct that...

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
First, check to make sure the spark plug wire is on tight. Afterwards remove the negative cable for about 10 minutes. Reconnect it and drive the car as you would in your daily travels. If the check engine light comes on again further diagnosis is needed.

Yes, the car is fine to drive and it will have a slight effect on MPG.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Left alone this will reduce fuel economy and performance, over time it will cause undo degradation of the catalytic converter. The code(as long as the correct cylinder is identified) sends you down the path to the offending cylinder. This could be spark plug, wire, injector or loss of compression. I would start with a visual inspection of the plug and wire. If the plugs are in bad condition, change them and consider a good set of wires. While the plugs are out a compression test or leak down test might be worth the time and effort. If this doesn't remedy the problem you might look for a good technician to look at this for you. If you were in my bay, I would be looking at the ignition system and injectors with a lab scope to minimize unneeded parts replacement. Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.