Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my 2013 GT yesterday and every time I want to stream music over Bluetooth, I have to switch it from Line In to Bluetooth. Is there a way to set the default to Bluetooth?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sadly, no....not yet at least. Do a quick google search and you will several hundred posts all over the net on different Ford forums with this same request/issue. Hopefully it is updated in later versions of Sync!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Hopefully it is updated in later versions of Sync!
I wouldn't hold your breath on this. Ford rarely updates Sync, and once the next model year comes out you can forget about seeing any updates. I've had my Mustang since the end of June 2011 and there have been 0 updates released since I picked my car up from the dealer.

It really doesn't make any sense to me. I doubt that there are hardly any (perhaps no) differences between the Sync hardware in a 2011 and a 2012 Mustang, yet they are not running the same version of the Sync software. I'm sure someone from the Ford IVT team who lurks on this forum will chime in and "claim" that there are updates forthcoming. Actions speak louder than words, boys.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh well. At least that's my only gripe about the car so far. Everything else is great!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Bumping an old thread. This annoys me so much, why can't ford just fix the damn software to default to the last used input?! Having to do the same selection in the media menu ever time gets old fast.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Not sure if it's Ford or Microsoft here.

I can barely get any sound using the bluetooth option even with the volume all the way up. And since you can't control Sirius using voice commands, it's pretty useless to me. Haven't tried the USB yet.

In general the whole system rates about a C for me.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I get annoyed when my Sync automatically switches to Bluetooth audio. I never use the phone for music playback.. It sounds horrible. Just because it detects a new device it shouldn't automatically switch all functionality to it, though you could just as easily say switching to it makes sense.

in any case I agree, last used should be the default.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Mine automatically defaults to sync line in, there doesn't seem to be any consisteny from one person to the next with what sync chooses to default to lol some people have the problem that I want, default to Bluetooth audio, others either default to fm or line in

·
Registered
246 Posts
Sync is one of the weaker features of the car...and yes, it would be nice if I could make it work without running through all sorts of menu commands...

Even line-in is kind of a pain...which is why I use Bluetooth.

And yes, there should be a way to update the software, but it would likely be a support nightmare.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Mine automatically defaults to sync line in, there doesn't seem to be any consisteny from one person to the next with what sync chooses to default to lol some people have the problem that I want, default to Bluetooth audio, others either default to fm or line in
Mine defaults to line in, 100% of the time. It's a minor pain to have to switch it every time, but still a pain. I'd also give Sync a C.

·
Official Ford Rep
433 Posts
Hey, everyone -

In regards to the system defaulting to Bluetooth audio and/or the last source used, I've passed your feedback along to engineering and hopefully this will change with a future update. :bounce2:

Not sure if it's Ford or Microsoft here.

I can barely get any sound using the bluetooth option even with the volume all the way up. And since you can't control Sirius using voice commands, it's pretty useless to me. Haven't tried the USB yet.

In general the whole system rates about a C for me.
Hi, dcottrell6 -

Have you tried turning the volume up on the phone or media device you're using? If not, I recommend giving that a try.

Jaclyn

·
Registered
51 Posts
I wouldn't hold your breath on this. Ford rarely updates Sync, and once the next model year comes out you can forget about seeing any updates. I've had my Mustang since the end of June 2011 and there have been 0 updates released since I picked my car up from the dealer.

It really doesn't make any sense to me. I doubt that there are hardly any (perhaps no) differences between the Sync hardware in a 2011 and a 2012 Mustang, yet they are not running the same version of the Sync software. I'm sure someone from the Ford IVT team who lurks on this forum will chime in and "claim" that there are updates forthcoming. Actions speak louder than words, boys.
This is an old post, but I think there was an update done in late 2012. I installed it on my wife's Escape with the DIY USB method. Actually pretty easy.

Hey, everyone -

In regards to the system defaulting to Bluetooth audio and/or the last source used, I've passed your feedback along to engineering and hopefully this will change with a future update. :bounce2:
AWESOME!! :bigthumbsup

G

·
0 Posts
Alright....here's another thought.

My Galaxy S3 came with a cord that hooks the phone up to a USB port.

I'm thinking that if I use this cord to plug the phone into the USB port, that simply hitting AUX will automatically have the car playing the music on my phone, as if I had a flash-drive plugged into the USB port.

Or, to make things easier, I'll probably just re-load my music onto a flash-drive I have lying about.

Hell, I'm bored, gonna do that right now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Aux won't default to USB

I'm thinking that if I use this cord to plug the phone into the USB port, that simply hitting AUX will automatically have the car playing the music on my phone, as if I had a flash-drive plugged into the USB port.
I'm sorry to say that this won't work. I use both a Galaxy S3 and an iPhone 4 with my car. The iPhone is connected via the USB and the Galaxy S3 integrates using bluetooth. I *must* hit the media button, which defaults to "Line" (which has nothing connected and, interestingly, does not actually integrate with SYNC). I then must either select USB for the iPhone or Bluetooth for the S3. USB is the only port that really integrates with SYNC. Bluetooth supports volume and track skipping. Line in supports audio only.

·
Registered
133 Posts

Or, to make things easier, I'll probably just re-load my music onto a flash-drive I have lying about.

Hell, I'm bored, gonna do that right now.
This won't work because the S3 uses the Media Transfer Protocol for USB connectivity and Sync doesn't support it. There's a way around it but you have to root your phone. Then you can use an app like the one below to enable USB Mass Storage mode. Oh, and your SD card has to be formatted as FAT32.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mohammadag.samsungusbmassstorageenabler&hl=en

Relayed by my pigs in space!

·
Registered
400 Posts
I have an old iPod touch that I have connected via USB. Sync defaults to USB with the iPod every time with no issues. I have my iphone connected via bluetooth at the same time (for calls).. and have no issues there. Well.. sort of.. the phone defaults sound to Sync.. but doesn't play text sounds (which is a good thing...). I have found that if I have a song playing on the phone when I start up the car (did this by accident a few times), Sync will then default to bluetooth. If I didn't have the iPod touch, id probably just plug the phone in via USB.. you can still get bluetooth hands free and have the music go through USB (at least with iOS). I don't like playing music via bluetooth because you don't get the song info.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I too need this to be fixed!

If im too lazy to press menu > select source > BT audio,

then I would press the sync button on the steering wheel and just say bluetooth audio. That switches to it automatically, but it might only be on the premium model.

·
Registered
136 Posts
If im too lazy to press menu > select source > BT audio,

then I would press the sync button on the steering wheel and just say bluetooth audio. That switches to it automatically, but it might only be on the premium model.
Yeah, selecting it through the menu is a PITA, but the voice command works great! I can get it changed while buckling up.

I wasn't initially a fan of the BT Streaming since a bunch of apps didn't work with it - which is odd...but I tried them again since installing the iOS7 beta and they seem to work fine now. Now I can keep up with my Formula1blog podcasts during my commute without having to connect via USB = happiness. With my luck they'll all stop working again in the final release.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Hey, everyone -

Hi, dcottrell6 -

Have you tried turning the volume up on the phone or media device you're using? If not, I recommend giving that a try.

Jaclyn
Hi Jaclyn,

I had the device media volume all the way up (Driod Razr), no luck. Voulme still to low to be of any use.
Had a chance to try the Ipod integration this morning and found it to work very well.
No big deal on the Bluetooth though. Don't really care to use the phone in that way.

·
Official Ford Rep
433 Posts
Hi Jaclyn,

I had the device media volume all the way up (Driod Razr), no luck. Voulme still to low to be of any use.
Had a chance to try the Ipod integration this morning and found it to work very well.
No big deal on the Bluetooth though. Don't really care to use the phone in that way.
If you change you mind, dcottrell6, I recommend pairing a different device to see if the same issue can be replicated. If it is, your dealership will need to investigate further.

Jaclyn

1 - 20 of 39 Posts