·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had one on my 2006 GT and loved it...I think it fit the S197 body style/hood better than the more modernistic 2010+ mustangs, however. And if you add a CAI it takes some 'plumbing' to make it work with the new intake (not a huge deal but still some effort).

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
I saw this thing installed on a mustang at a dealer... It looks pretty cool folks.. I was wondering if anyone has one or has installed one..

Classic Design Concepts Shaker System (11-12 GT) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

We have a few local customers who installed this and come in once a week for other parts. Personally, it is my favorite look(nothing better than a functional hoodscoop!) and it provides the best performance!

Do you have any specific questions regarding the shaker kits?

They are badass, you should get one!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They are badass, you should get one!
I am thinking about it... Will take away from my sleeper look, but adds up on the cool factor.. Who do you get to install the sucker?? Body shop or what?? I think I could put it on if I can get the hole cut..

·
Registered
70 Posts
cutting the holes not all that bad i had one on my 08 just take your time measure twice cut once lol, comes with a nice template to tape on the hood and the directions are pretty easy to follow. like said before nothing beats a real hood scoop, good luck

·
Registered
26 Posts
Concur...install sounds 'scary-ier' that it really is...nothing like cutting into your hood! :)

It actually installs pretty easily...take your time and use a sharp saw blade.

IF you plan to add this to a CAI: On my 2006, i cut a hole in the back of my CAI housing and ran a flexible piece of tubing from it to the back of the shaker plastic air pipe (in other words, i cut out the hard plastic portion they supplied between back of the engine and intake). This seems to be the best way to plumb it into an aftermarket CAI.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
I am thinking about it... Will take away from my sleeper look, but adds up on the cool factor.. Who do you get to install the sucker?? Body shop or what?? I think I could put it on if I can get the hole cut..
cutting the holes not all that bad i had one on my 08 just take your time measure twice cut once lol, comes with a nice template to tape on the hood and the directions are pretty easy to follow. like said before nothing beats a real hood scoop, good luck
Concur...install sounds 'scary-ier' that it really is...nothing like cutting into your hood! :)

It actually installs pretty easily...take your time and use a sharp saw blade.

IF you plan to add this to a CAI: On my 2006, i cut a hole in the back of my CAI housing and ran a flexible piece of tubing from it to the back of the shaker plastic air pipe (in other words, i cut out the hard plastic portion they supplied between back of the engine and intake). This seems to be the best way to plumb it into an aftermarket CAI.
^^This is all good information. It sounds a lot scarier than it really is.

Here are the instructions for installation on an 05-06, but it will be almost identical: How To Install A 2005-2006 Mustang GT CDC Shaker - Installation Instructions at AmericanMuscle.com

Tape the hood of really well(don't want to scratch the paint with any metal shavings), cover the engine bay{or just remove the hood and do it off the car} and TAKE YOUR TIME! The scariest thing about cutting hoods and body pieces is that you will cut more than you need, well, the template will prevent that and taking your time will keep you from blasting through a corner or going over your template's edge.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hope my Ford dealer won't void my warranty for modding my hood:heha:

·
Registered
270 Posts
I agree looks very cool, and i hate non-functional fake scoops. But what am i missing? How is it functional if its not plumbed into the air box and the air box is pulling outside air? It Looks like it only brings air into the engine compartment and not into the engines intake?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree looks very cool, and i hate non-functional fake scoops. But what am i missing? How is it functional if its not plumbed into the air box and the air box is pulling outside air? It Looks like it only brings air into the engine compartment and not into the engines intake?
Dang... I thought it was... When I looked at it installed on a car it looked as if it was functional.. Is it not? AM... Help answer

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
It's 100% functional: Classic Design Concepts Shaker System (11-12 GT) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!
check out the picture of the car with the red engine bay. Notice the flow arrows. It's a little hard to see, but the arrow that feeds back into the stock airbox is actually a piece of tubing that comes from the scoop and directs air coming from the scoop into the airbox. This, in effect, makes cooler/denser air feed into the airbox, creating more power:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Not truly functional, the scope simply forces air into the stock air box where it goes naturally into the intake. Basically the same as the factory air hole in the fender except some air gets forced in. What are they claiming? A 20 HP gain. LMAO..... :gringreen Kinda a big waist of money when you can simply tune and CAI for way less money and get better gains.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Not truly functional, the scope simply forces air into the stock air box where it goes naturally into the intake. Basically the same as the factory air hole in the fender except some air gets forced in. What are they claiming? A 20 HP gain. LMAO..... :gringreen Kinda a big waist of money when you can simply tune and CAI for way less money and get better gains.

It works with CAIs and it's DEFINITELY functional.

The scoop sits above the hood in the path of the coldest and best possibly airflow. It scoops the incoming air into the factory airbox(or a cold air intake if you have one), via a duct on the back of it. Completely functional. If it was not, the scoop wouldn't actually direct any air to the airbox.

The "hole" in the fender does absolutely nothing as it's pulling air from a closed location and doesn't have any air flowing through it. On the other hand, the scoop catches heaps of fresh air to feed the intake, whether stock or not.

There is no "claim" that it makes 20hp but if it is pulling in the coolest air possible and lowers air intake temps better than a CAI alone it is naturally going to make more power than just a CAI alone.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
It works with CAIs and it's DEFINITELY functional.

The scoop sits above the hood in the path of the coldest and best possibly airflow. It scoops the incoming air into the factory airbox(or a cold air intake if you have one), via a duct on the back of it. Completely functional. If it was not, the scoop wouldn't actually direct any air to the airbox.

The "hole" in the fender does absolutely nothing as it's pulling air from a closed location and doesn't have any air flowing through it. On the other hand, the scoop catches heaps of fresh air to feed the intake, whether stock or not.

There is no "claim" that it makes 20hp but if it is pulling in the coolest air possible and lowers air intake temps better than a CAI alone it is naturally going to make more power than just a CAI alone.
Ok, I guess you got me in that it is "functional" in the most basic form the word. Yeah, it directs some air to the box so I guess you have to call it "functional". With that being said, for what it does, $800 is way to much. Basically it does nothing more than cutting slits in your hood over you CAI would do. Sure it looks cool, but performance gains are probably very limited if anything at all. I guess if you want something like this you are going for a look and not performance. Kinda ricer to me.

·
Registered
270 Posts
i now see that it does direct air from above the hood to the airbox. It is in fact functional, I didnt see the plumbing from scoop to airbox. I wont argue the performance gains, but anything that reduces intake air temps is a good thing.

Thank you AMstanger for clearing that up.

I do disagree with your statement:
"The "hole" in the fender does absolutely nothing as it's pulling air from a closed location and doesn't have any air flowing through it."
and arent you both wrong about the "hole in the fender"? I believe there is a clear air path to the front grill not the fender.
But I get your point, it doesnt have a clear path to clean air like a hood mounted scoop. And like most in here, I appreciate a vender involved in open discussion

·
Registered
270 Posts
I hate commenting on personal opinions but:
A shaker hood scoop "RICER"? How old are you?
the shaker hood scoop was an Icon of American muscle
watching the whole scoop shake on a lopy cammed muscle car!

"cutting slits in a hood" without some form of air management, like a vortex vent on shelbys or a scoop or NACA vent would do nothing

I'm not even going to comment on "RICER" being a derogatory SLUR

JUST MY HUMBLE OPINION, I wouldnt put this scoop on my car but like all mods, so much is personal opinion, we add what we like

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Ok, I guess you got me in that it is "functional" in the most basic form the word. Yeah, it directs some air to the box so I guess you have to call it "functional". With that being said, for what it does, $800 is way to much. Basically it does nothing more than cutting slits in your hood over you CAI would do. Sure it looks cool, but performance gains are probably very limited if anything at all. I guess if you want something like this you are going for a look and not performance. Kinda ricer to me.
Well, while I appreciate that you are free to voice your own opinion, I think you are very wrong about it. For $800 you are getting a clean, mean and muscular-looking machine that not only looks great but performs 100Xtimes better than cutting "slits" in your hood above your intake.

i now see that it does direct air from above the hood to the airbox. It is in fact functional, I didnt see the plumbing from scoop to airbox. I wont argue the performance gains, but anything that reduces intake air temps is a good thing.

Thank you AMstanger for clearing that up.

I do disagree with your statement:
"The "hole" in the fender does absolutely nothing as it's pulling air from a closed location and doesn't have any air flowing through it."
and arent you both wrong about the "hole in the fender"? I believe there is a clear air path to the front grill not the fender.
But I get your point, it doesnt have a clear path to clean air like a hood mounted scoop. And like most in here, I appreciate a vender involved in open discussion

I'm glad to help!

If you look at the hole in the fender, it opens up to the fender which is basically a "closed" source of air. It is cooler air than what is in the engine bay but it's still not directing any airflow to the intake. It is simply there to feed the airbox with air that is not just stagnating in the engine bay.

If you look at many serious bracket racers, they actually remove the headlight in front of the intake because that is the best way to get clean, cool air. You can't legally drive that way on the street(in most places, most of the time) so a hood scoop is the next best thing!:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
I hate commenting on personal opinions but:
A shaker hood scoop "RICER"? How old are you?
the shaker hood scoop was an Icon of American muscle
watching the whole scoop shake on a lopy cammed muscle car!

"cutting slits in a hood" without some form of air management, like a vortex vent on shelbys or a scoop or NACA vent would do nothing

I'm not even going to comment on "RICER" being a derogatory SLUR

JUST MY HUMBLE OPINION, I wouldnt put this scoop on my car but like all mods, so much is personal opinion, we add what we like

Very well said:bigthumbsup

One of the most decorated racercars Ford ever built was the original Boss 302R which was built to race in TransAm Racing.
They came equipped with hoodscoops(granted this was to clear the air-cleaner back then) but it still functioned in the same way; feeding a track-based monster all the air that it desires!
http://deathmachines.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/BOSS302BCJW.jpg
http://pic.phyrefile.com/c/cr/crazyrussian540/2010/08/14/1969_20Ford_20BOSS_20Mustang_20302_02.jpg

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have the Shaker hood scoop, as well as Cervini's hood to match, but have been bothered by one haunting question since installing it: How can I accomodate for a supercharger in the future. In a few Mustang magazines, I've spied pictures of supercharged motors sporting a CDC shaker...but I haven't seen any articles on HOW it was accomplished. From glancing at pictures, it appears as though the plastic 'shroud' on the 05-10 Shaker kits was somehow removed, and yet magically bolted on top of a now elevated supercharger body. So, if I supercharged my 2005, would I be forced to custom fabricate my existing CDC shaker? And what of the hood..would I have major clearance issues!?

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Yes it is a nice touch. I think though it would look better on a flat hood without the raised center section used the 2010-12's. Won't be putting one on mine anytime soon . I'm not cheap, but 900.00 for a scoop is a little rich for my blood.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts