Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I've had my car for a month now and have gotten used to it and its lil quirks and I've come to the conclusion that the stereo needs serious help.

Don't get me wrong here; it isn't damaged or otherwise defective but it is definately lacking in quality.

The speakers have no real quality sound producing capabilities, they're loud as all hell and you can hear it coming to be sure but the music I listen to has many highs and lows that can only be heard and enjoyed via high quality 3 way speaks.

What I want to know is: can you pull all the speaks, doors and rears and replace them with high quality units or are they somehow built in and designed to be part of the overall system i.e. if I take something out will the system quit operating as a whole.

I don't want to gut the stereo completely--that would be ignorant I just want good speakers installed without having to install more amps and extra gear to do it.

Anybody know if its possible?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Yes it is possible and highly, highly encouraged to do so. Aftermarket speakers make the stereo sound so much better. I put Pioneer 6x8 three ways in front and back and they are damn near perfect with my shaker system!!:happyhapp Go to Crutchfield.com and get an idea of what fits PERFECTLY.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Shaker stereo

Whenever I read a thread on here about complaints regarding the Shaker system I always wonder why someone would spend the extra money for the shaker system then trash it for a more expensive system whether it be just the speakers or the entire system. First and foremost I think the majority of us bought our 05/06 mustangs for the appearance and performance. Like get on the gas and listen to the power and the throaty sound of the exhaust. Even when cruising and listening to the Shaker 1000 in my Mustang I still turn my listening ear to the sound of the exhaust. Driving around in my Mustang just listening to the "highs and lows" of the music seems so dull. Don't get me wrong, I like listening to music but if I really was more interested in the "highs and lows" of the music I would have bought a Lexis or another one of those sound proof luxury cars. The music in my ears are what comes from the engine and exhaust. Don,t spend the money on the radio,son, spend it on some additional power.

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
stereo

I have mentioned this before, but I bought my Stang for its looks and performance. I just happen to have the Shaker 1000 in the car (I did not order it, it was already there). I recently installed a Flowmaster exhuast and K&N CAI, and let me tell you, when I had them installed, I drove home with the Shaker 1000 turned off so I can listen to the music of the engine. I wanted to hear my girl sing, and sing she did! :eyepoppin I grant many Stang owners are into high quality sounding stereo systems, and as for myself, I like music but am not a diehard music lover. But if I wanted the high quality music I would have to agre with Bailiff, I would have purhcased a luxury car or some such. But what I wanted was a car that turned heads becasue it was al that and not because my music is loud.

·
Registered
69 Posts
geez ... can't you guys just answer the question instead of questioning the guy's motivation for owning a stang? All he asked was whether it would work and would it cause any issues?

Who cares if you bought the car for the horsepower or the stereo. Its a sweet car and I'm sure we all bought it for different reasons.

·
Registered
172 Posts
jibboo said:
geez ... can't you guys just answer the question instead of questioning the guy's motivation for owning a stang? All he asked was whether it would work and would it cause any issues?

Who cares if you bought the car for the horsepower or the stereo. Its a sweet car and I'm sure we all bought it for different reasons.
Great post, and thank you.

It isnt always about being loud. It is about quality of sound, whcih is why I am considering the same. I bought my mustang off the lot, so I didnt have a choice of not getting it, but remember, if you dont get the shaker system, you do not get the subs in the doors.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gents allow me to say this in my defense:

My first stang was a 72 fire engine red Mach 1 that I put a Boss 351 into. With Hooker Super Competion Headers and a loud as hell Pete Jackson gear drive it sung like Aretha Franklin and cooked tires all day long.

My stereo was an Alpine with Boston Acoustic speaks and a 120 watt Blaupunkt Amp that made that made it sound like Bon Scott and Angus Young were in the back seat tearing it up.

In short I had it all--speed and tunes all day every day and I know for a fact that I don't have to sacrifice one for the other and don't want to.

Your criticisms here are the equivalent of me asking why the hell would you put headers and a tune on it? Its fast already? To which you would say "Because I want more."

Well, I want more too. So please don't bust my arse because you think I'm doing something that doesn't make sense to you. I don't criticise guys for superchargers or throttlebody changes or new heads and I would like and appreciate it greatly if you didn't criticize me for wanting more out of my stereo.

Thanking you in advance: Meat

·
Registered
106 Posts
Meat said:
Gents allow me to say this in my defense:

My first stang was a 72 fire engine red Mach 1 that I put a Boss 351 into. With Hooker Super Competion Headers and a loud as hell Pete Jackson gear drive it sung like Aretha Franklin and cooked tires all day long.

My stereo was an Alpine with Boston Acoustic speaks and a 120 watt Blaupunkt Amp that made that made it sound like Bon Scott and Angus Young were in the back seat tearing it up.

In short I had it all--speed and tunes all day every day and I know for a fact that I don't have to sacrifice one for the other and don't want to.

Your criticisms here are the equivalent of me asking why the hell would you put headers and a tune on it? Its fast already? To which you would say "Because I want more."

Well, I want more too. So please don't bust my arse because you think I'm doing something that doesn't make sense to you. I don't criticise guys for superchargers or throttlebody changes or new heads and I would like and appreciate it greatly if you didn't criticize me for wanting more out of my stereo.

Thanking you in advance: Meat
Nicely worded, I just replaced the shaker 500 in mine (was with the car when I found it on the lot) with an Alpine 9855 and a 12in type R sub in the trunk with a 500 RMS amp. Well all I can say is Wow. Yes the stock unit is a nice loud unit, but for me it had some short comings that annoyed me (mainly being the defeat of the bass signal when cranked all the way up). For some this is not an issue, but hey, for some the throttle lag on out cars is not an issue. I did not like the throttle lag, so I brought a tuner. I did not like the radio so I replaced it. My car is my daily driver so I want it to be how I like it. Now when I am next to someone and they are wanting to race I can crank up some AC/DC even louder now and believe in my own world that it helps make car go faster :tongue

Also back to the question posted well kinda, I would like to know what main speakers people are going with. Also, is it worth to change to a differnt size speaker with a bracket kit?

·
Registered
767 Posts
Well, mine came with the Skipper1000 from the factory. I didn't order it, I didn't want it, and I didn't keep it. Gutted the entire system and started over. But, I did it in phases not all at once.

Now to answer your question. Yes, you can replace the four factory 5X7 speakers without issue. I put four Infinity Kappa 682.7cf's in mine. They actually didn't sound too bad with the stock setup.

I have sense replaced the head unit with a Kenwood DDX-7015, Kenwood KNV-4100 navigation system, Sirius tuner, removed the trunk lock cylinder and installed a backup camera that is hooked to the tuner display, put MTX 5508-44 subs in the doors, a Scosche box made for the 05 Mustang in the trunk with a EFX 12" sub, and running it all with a pair of Kicker KX654.4s. Pretty sure I could run open headers and not hear them when it is cranked up :happyhapp

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hawgman, do you have pics?

I got the low end radio because I knew I was replacing it with the Kenwood DDX 8017. I have the Sirius as well. Do you have pics of the backup cam install?
Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
767 Posts
Sure. I used a waterproof security camera that had a tapered lens cover. Slid right in to place. Then fabricated a bracket to hold it, used a little ATV sealer to seal the hole against the camera so water would not get in the trunk. Then wired power for the camera to my backup lights. Hooked the camera in to one of the video in ports on the head unit, and set that port for auto sense. So I put the car in reverse, the camera powers up, it switches to that view. Then when I take it out of reverse it goes back to whatever screen it was on. Usually the navigation system. Anyway, here are a couple of pics

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks Hawg,

That is creative and a cool way to do it. I was thinking about the license frame mounted camera, but your's is hot! I already had the Kenwood installed with the backup camera switching set up. I just need to get the camera and plug it in.

DC

·
Registered
767 Posts
Thanks man. I looked at the license plate frame option and just didn't care for it. Looked at three different ones and all three were $300 or more. So then I started looking at security cameras. Most of them were either black and white, or didn't allow for reverse angle view, or were not weather proof. Plus they all were either 5mm to large, or so small that they would fall through the hole. Then as kind of a last ditch effort I went to Fry's Electronics and they had the perfect one for what I was trying to do. It was waterproof, color, allowed reverse angle view, +12V DC, and had a tapered end. Here is the one I used.http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4306105?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

1 - 13 of 13 Posts