Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ! im new to all this ! joined in hopes of getting some input on my problem! so i own a 1966 Mustang Coupe Straight 6 engine. the other day i was driving to work going about 65mph and then my whole car started shaking , it felt like i had a blow out so i pull over (with my car still on) checked all tires which r brand new and everything was fine. i open up my hood and my motor was shaking hard! side to side! ....my father in law says it might be the head gasket? but were not too sure. Does anyone have any suggestions on this? i really appreciate it thanks !

·
Registered
810 Posts
If it was a head gasket there would be smoke pouring out of your exhaust, oil/water all over the engine compartment, or rainbows in the coolant. It also wouldn't make the engine shake like it sounds like you are talking about.

I would inspect your motor mounts and look for seperation of the rubber mount from the steel backing which would allow the motor to bounce around.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Numerous possibilities. I'd bet you lost a cylinder or two due to any number of reasons. From plug wires to points, or failed Petronics module. Had one in son's Mustang that two of the magnets let loose.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys! i will definately look into both ideas and see what i find ! hopefully its something kind of simple ! ive given up on mechanics! ive got ripped off so many times so its a good thing i found this site! :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
This can be any sort of problem causing the shaking. Most likely a misfire caused by loss of ignition to one or two cylinders. Start with the simple stuff first. Does it idle well then get rough at highher RPMs? Set your points, clean and gap your plugs, inspect your plug wires and set your timing. Let us know what happens. Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This can be any sort of problem causing the shaking. Most likely a misfire caused by loss of ignition to one or two cylinders. Start with the simple stuff first. Does it idle well then get rough at highher RPMs? Set your points, clean and gap your plugs, inspect your plug wires and set your timing. Let us know what happens. Good luck!
yes, it seems when im stopped it shakes really hard and as i start to drive passed 25-30mph it starts getting smoother! im definately working on it this weekend i miss my pony ! cruising weather is finally here in fresno and people are bringing out their mustangs! so thank you for the input !

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes, it seems when im stopped it shakes really hard and as i start to drive passed 25-30mph it starts getting smoother! im definately working on it this weekend i miss my pony ! cruising weather is finally here in fresno and people are bringing out their mustangs! so thank you for the input !
Numerous possibilities. I'd bet you lost a cylinder or two due to any number of reasons. From plug wires to points, or failed Petronics module. Had one in son's Mustang that two of the magnets let loose.
If it was a head gasket there would be smoke pouring out of your exhaust, oil/water all over the engine compartment, or rainbows in the coolant. It also wouldn't make the engine shake like it sounds like you are talking about.

I would inspect your motor mounts and look for seperation of the rubber mount from the steel backing which would allow the motor to bounce around.

it ended up being a broken head gasket causing everything to go out of balance ! it feels good to find the problem! she should be up and running soon, thanks guys!

·
Registered
810 Posts
it ended up being a broken head gasket causing everything to go out of balance ! it feels good to find the problem! she should be up and running soon, thanks guys!
So which was is? White smoke? Rainbows in the oil? Or crap all over the engine compartment?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts