Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While playing Pink Floyd Dark Side of The Moon my Shaker 500 hesitated for a second between every track. Those of you, who know the CD, know the tracks blend into one another with hardly any hesitation. I have had this CD for almost 30 years and have played it on numerous home and auto CD players and I had never noticed this. Is this why they call this player the Skipper 500? I thought they fixed this problem in 2006. I haven’t noticed any actual skipping while playing other CD’s or MP3’s. Sometimes The shaker has trouble reading the MP3’s and calls it a bad disk.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have had my car for one week (06 GT) and have already experienced the skipping/bad disk issue with the shaker 500. I am wondering if anyone has suggestions on best disk media to use for shaker 500 mp3, or if there is a best quality to record mp3 at to prevent the skipping issue.

I really question the "bad disk" reading since if I am persistent enough reinserting the disk, it will eventually play.

·
Registered
277 Posts
They've been out longer than that. But they used to be about a foot in diameter and were black (mostly).

Anyway , the BS aside, I've had my '06 GT since T'giving. Had the head replaced once (S-500). It skipped occasionaly and had the "bad disk" blues real bad. I could get the disk to read by loading it from 2 to 20 times - it would eventually work. Replacing the head had no effect at all. I tried 3 ripping and 3 MP3 burning s/w packages, all with the same results. Was planning to go for another service visit soon but tried another CD-RW unit today. Guess what, no really, guess! Yup, you guessed it, problem solved. Haven't had the "new" CD's in long enough to judge the skipping issue yet. But, it was minor to start with.
I've ripped all my music @ 96 kbps and applied volume leveling (Music Match is what I've settled on). So far, so good. I've even tried ripping some of my old vinyl with OK results - OK enough that I'll probably rip some of my older favorite stuff.
So - point is, if you can lay hands on another CD-RW give it a try.
My trip home from the office today will have about 14% extra grin.

'06 GT vert manual
Torch Red on red

·
Registered
785 Posts
snogoldi said:
While playing Pink Floyd Dark Side of The Moon my Shaker 500 hesitated for a second between every track. Those of you, who know the CD, know the tracks blend into one another with hardly any hesitation. I have had this CD for almost 30 years and have played it on numerous home and auto CD players and I had never noticed this. Is this why they call this player the Skipper 500? I thought they fixed this problem in 2006. I haven’t noticed any actual skipping while playing other CD’s or MP3’s. Sometimes The shaker has trouble reading the MP3’s and calls it a bad disk.
The shaker 500 has a non-adjustable pause between tracks. Pink Floyd never intended on separating the tracks the way a cd does it.

Come to think of it ELP does the same on my shaker 500. So does YES.. and......

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cd 1985

Well you're probably right originally I bought the record LP when it first came out in 1973, and then I replaced it with an cassette and then the replaced it again with the CD 1985. It just seems like I had it for 30 years. Wow you guys don't miss anything.

a1cmaw said:
cd's were out 30 years ago???

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yes the shaker has a problem with MP3s in general, no matter what type of CD or burning speed you use, you will depend on chance if it skips or plays the tracks, I'm going for a Kenwood DDX-8037 (DDX-8017 in US) and integrating it with an iPod, sorry for getting out of the subject, but your solution is AFTERMARKET. unless you're fine with it, you'll get used to it. NOT ME

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.