Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As careful as we are with our new Mustang babies, sometimes our minds go on vacation and we do something dumb that we wouldn't want to bring up at the next family reunion. But we can share those :doh: moments here in relative anonymity. Since this is my thread, I will start. Who can top me?

Last week, I arrived home in the evening and parked the Mustang in the driveway, in front of my attached garage. The garage doors were locked, and since I just moved in I have not changed the lock so I can not unlock it from the outside. So I leave the car running, and go inside and make my way to go to the garage to move the Mustang. On my way to do that, I notice my wife is home from her week long business trip from London. So we start talking, and she gives me the wink and says let's go to the bedroom before the teenage kids get home for dinner. Of course I jumped at that, and forgot all about the Mustang running in the driveway. So then we have dinner, watch some TV, and we go to sleep. The next morning my kids get up for school(pretty early 5:30am), and I am woken up by my son yelling, "The Mustang is running in the driveway!". Turns out the car was idling all night long, for about 8 hours! :eek: D'oh! Double D'oh! I wonder how much wear that's gonna have on the engine? Lucky for me I live in a small town, so the car was still there the next morning. I still can't believe I did this, and now you all know!

·
Registered
305 Posts
iplaydat said:
As careful as we are with our new Mustang babies, sometimes our minds go on vacation and we do something dumb that we wouldn't want to bring up at the next family reunion. But we can share those :doh: moments here in relative anonymity. Since this is my thread, I will start. Who can top me?

Last week, I arrived home in the evening and parked the Mustang in the driveway, in front of my attached garage. The garage doors were locked, and since I just moved in I have not changed the lock so I can not unlock it from the outside. So I leave the car running, and go inside and make my way to go to the garage to move the Mustang. On my way to do that, I notice my wife is home from her week long business trip from London. So we start talking, and she gives me the wink and says let's go to the bedroom before the teenage kids get home for dinner. Of course I jumped at that, and forgot all about the Mustang running in the driveway. So then we have dinner, watch some TV, and we go to sleep. The next morning my kids get up for school(pretty early 5:30am), and I am woken up by my son yelling, "The Mustang is running in the driveway!". Turns out the car was idling all night long, for about 8 hours! :eek: D'oh! Double D'oh! I wonder how much wear that's gonna have on the engine? Lucky for me I live in a small town, so the car was still there the next morning. I still can't believe I did this, and now you all know!
Man, (long dramatic pause) That is, I mean, that is, WOW! Holy Crap dude. I think the only thing that comes close is parking your Mustang on a sandy beach:what: :happyhapp . There just isn't enough expletives. The almighty himself is looking down upon you right now. Go out immediately and buy some lottery tickets. I'm not comparing you to the guy who parked is car on the beach don't get me wrong. You had a very valid reason. Your mind became clouded with thoughts of nookie. I personally don't blame you.

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
I have to admit my friend, WOW does not quite cover it. You see my priorities are completely out of whack, for I do not believe there is a woman (nookie or not) that would make me forget about my Stang. I love women, but I love cars even more. But, I agree, go out and buy a lottery ticket or two, and when you win big, please share with the rest of us. Why you are at it, care to sprinkle some of that luck our way?

That being said, my turn for the :doh: story. I bought my car with the 20" wheels on it from the dealer. I had the car for maybe two weeks when I pulled up to a stop light for a left turn. I saw the island out of the corner of my eye. I noticed that the curb dropped away, like a driveway. But what I did not notice is that it went right back up a few feet away. Needless to say, when the light turned green, I turned the wheel left, stepped on the gas and SMACK!!! right into the curb. :eyebulge: YES, I severely gouged the left front wheel, so bad that I had to replace the wheel. Yes, I did go stand in the corner for 20 minutes after that boneheaded boo-boo.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Wow after that first post...um wow. I don't even feel like mine was a "D'oh" moment after reading that.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I'm sorry but neither one of those stories has got nothing on what I managed to do.

Mowing the grass and needed to blow the clippings out from underneath my 05 Ranger STX. So I stick my right foot in the door onto the clutch and started it up. The truck was in 1st gear and started forward. When I realized I was going forward into the Mustang I panicked and let the clutch out on the truck which just made things worse and I hit the Mustang even harder than if I had just gone ahead and let the truck roll into it. At any rate I damaged the rear bumper cover on the stang. Needless to say I wasn't a happy camper. Let the car sit for a couple of weeks and decided to go ahead and get the Xenon body kit. While the kit was being installed I decided to get the FRPP lowering kit at the same time. While that was happening I decided the "mini van" wheels had to go, so ordered new wheels, tires. What the hell may as well change out the exhaust while I'm at it and install hood pins, paint the mirrors. I figure me running into the stang with my own truck cost around $10,000.

·
Registered
914 Posts
mrvandermey said:
You see my priorities are completely out of whack, for I do not believe there is a woman (nookie or not) that would make me forget about my Stang. I love women, but I love cars even more.
I guess we are both out of wack - there is a reason my Mustang is in the spot in the garage that is directly under our bed upstairs!!! :winks

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
woodj said:
I'm sorry but neither one of those stories has got nothing on what I managed to do.

Mowing the grass and needed to blow the clippings out from underneath my 05 Ranger STX. So I stick my right foot in the door onto the clutch and started it up. The truck was in 1st gear and started forward. When I realized I was going forward into the Mustang I panicked and let the clutch out on the truck which just made things worse and I hit the Mustang even harder than if I had just gone ahead and let the truck roll into it. At any rate I damaged the rear bumper cover on the stang. Needless to say I wasn't a happy camper. Let the car sit for a couple of weeks and decided to go ahead and get the Xenon body kit. While the kit was being installed I decided to get the FRPP lowering kit at the same time. While that was happening I decided the "mini van" wheels had to go, so ordered new wheels, tires. What the hell may as well change out the exhaust while I'm at it and install hood pins, paint the mirrors. I figure me running into the stang with my own truck cost around $10,000.
Dude that is a really good one! And good for you for turning your lemons into lemonade with all the new mods. Oh, that gives me an idea - maybe if I had let my Mustang run a bit longer, I would have to get a new engine, like kjcinci is doing....

·
Registered
151 Posts
Ok here we go. I remembered a valuable lesson last week. Brake cleaner and exterior plastic does not get along very well. It turns a nice shade of white... oh well needed an excuse to paint those tail lights anyway.

However it does a great job of cleaning the wax and stuff off to put the blackout panel on. Yea I know...

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Not a recent moment but a moment none the less............

Back in the day('74) I had a '69 Mustang and had the front on stands as I changed the shocks, after I was done I placed the 2-1/2 ton jack under it to remove the stands.
After removing the stands I got my left leg with my knee up just under the bumper:eek: as I slowly released the jack I felt pressure on my knee/leg and realized that the whole front end of that car was being held up by my now bent like a crecsent moon tibia, thank god it was a good jack as I only had to turn the handle a 1/2 turn and 3-4 pumps later the car was off my knee:doh:

·
Registered
502 Posts
Small thing compared to previous posts, but...

Hagerstown, MD. Running behind schedule to pick up daughter from WVU last fall. Zoom into a petrol station, all psyched for one of those NASCAR twenty second pit stops, yeah, that'll be cool, swipe the card, gorge the tank and I'M OUT. Yeah, baby...WHAP!

I'd pulled up right next to one of those cylinder-shaped concrete whatevers that protect the gas pumps and opened the car door smack dab into it.

SCHEISE!!

Bought the touch-up paint kit and did my best, but it's still very noticeable, at least to my eyes.

My new gas station mantra is "slow the eff down, Kelly, slow the eff down"...:handball:

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
zregime said:
Small thing compared to previous posts, but...
Nope, that's a good one:doh:

·
Registered
713 Posts
HEY WOODJ...you sure you didn't do that on purpose..sounds like you had those mods all planned out to me!..i won't tell your wife!..hmmmm..i think i'll go outside now and fire up the ram..lets see shelby stripes, ducktail spoiler...........

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well, several week back, while going to Federal Way in the Mustang, I managed to do a complete 360 on 405 Southbound just as I was merging from 520 Westbound.

The two right lanes of 405 were congested with the people that were in front of me on the ramp and some traffic that was already there. The two left lanes were wide open. I looked over my shoulder and there was no traffic comming from behind for a good 1/4 mile.

What do I do? I nail the gas, and shoot over 3 lanes. When I shift to third, the back end starts sliding out. I think to myself no problem, traction control will kick in and the engine power out will be reduced... I stayed on the gas... Only problem is, I turned off the traction control earlier and forgot.

Next thing I know, I'm doing a 360 on the freeway. As I'm spinning around, I'm watching the concrete barriers flash by... then I'm facing the wrong direction on 405... then I see the cars that I had passed pass me on the left. Finally, I come to a stop in the 3rd lane, the engine had stalled. I fire it up and take off checking my rearview mirror. Traffic was comming up behind me rapidly... Six seconds later I'm back up to 60 mph like nothing ever happend.

I'm sure everyone around me was impressed (not). Ever hear the term sewing machine legs? It's where your legs are shaking uncontrollably. Yeah that was me.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Oh man, mine was only a 180 and fortunately with no witnesses. Hit some sand on a turn with the TCS off and it went out on me - was heading right for the opposite curb when I decided better to spin a bit then nail the curb, so I just turned into it and came to a stop in the middle of the road - facing the wrong way of course.

Then quietly coasted away...
:tongue
samckernan said:
Well, several week back, while going to Federal Way in the Mustang, I managed to do a complete 360 on 405 Southbound just as I was merging from 520 Westbound.

The two right lanes of 405 were congested with the people that were in front of me on the ramp and some traffic that was already there. The two left lanes were wide open. I looked over my shoulder and there was no traffic comming from behind for a good 1/4 mile.

What do I do? I nail the gas, and shoot over 3 lanes. When I shift to third, the back end starts sliding out. I think to myself no problem, traction control will kick in and the engine power out will be reduced... I stayed on the gas... Only problem is, I turned off the traction control earlier and forgot.

Next thing I know, I'm doing a 360 on the freeway. As I'm spinning around, I'm watching the concrete barriers flash by... then I'm facing the wrong direction on 405... then I see the cars that I had passed pass me on the left. Finally, I come to a stop in the 3rd lane, the engine had stalled. I fire it up and take off checking my rearview mirror. Traffic was comming up behind me rapidly... Six seconds later I'm back up to 60 mph like nothing ever happend.

I'm sure everyone around me was impressed (not). Ever hear the term sewing machine legs? It's where your legs are shaking uncontrollably. Yeah that was me.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Ok Guys heres mine. Last October I was pleasently suprised by a decent bonus from my boss. Spent a few days deciding whether to spend it on mods for the mustang or to by a beater for the winter and spare the GT the salt and shi--y roads of the NJ winters. So I decided to get the beater and preserve.

Wife and I are out cruising the used car lots when I finally find an explorer that is worth the cash. So, I tell my wife that this is the one I am going to buy. I also tell her to drive the mustang home and follow me. Of course that is after the 1/2 hour lecture of what not to do to my baby.

I finally get the keys to the explorer and the wife who was 7 months pregnant at the time asks me to bring the stang over to her since it was parked in a tight car lot and she was afraid to back it out of the spot it was in. So as I am doing this and she of course is watching I back into a concrete pillar holding a light post that was in the blind spot D'OH :happyhapp .

It killed me to think that I did this while looking for a vehicle to keep mine from getting screwed and scratched and especially after lecturing the wife. I still hear about it to the day. Total cost was $400.00 to repair the scratches in the rear bumper cover.

N

·
0 Posts
leaving the car running for nookie isnt so bad...i was delivering some stuff to a church in this big ol van and i saw the cutest gal standing outside...my co pilot in the van dares me to talk to her so i pull the van in front of the church and start yakkin with her about how we're deliverin some old clothes for homeless folks and the conversation was goin good...you know how your buddies are when they see you doin well with a hottie so he gets out and goes around the van to say somethin stupid( now that i broke the ice he feels he can talk to her...) so i get out to smack him in the head but i left the van in drive and all none of us notice that the van is moving until it picks up enough speed to smash into the church wall...me and my bud were watchin our toe nails grow for a long time on that one.

didnt even get the girl..i think we lost her when we started fightin but i'm sure we lost her when the van hit the wall

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
I just had my Homer moment. I spent the afternoon washing and preping the car for a show I'm going to be in tomorrow. Now, you all know how you can wash and dry the car, move it 10 feet, and all the water you just tried so hard to dry off and not leave water marks runs out of all the little crevices. So I decide to shake her off before I put the car back in the garage. I figure, I'll head off all the little water marks. So I back the car down the driveway and nail it. Then do the same in reverse. Get back in the driveway and find I've now flung mud all over the side of the car.:jester:

·
Registered
760 Posts
Was driving mine through a parking lot to an ATM. Cut through the "empty" parking lot and parked next to the ATM. Pulled out some money then preceded to leave. Back the car out and as I start to go forward and turn in the direction that I came from(cutting throught the parking lot again) I was going about 5-10 miles an hour and was about to finish the turn when *BAM* shopping cart(one of the tall ones that dont have a deep basket and you can see through easily) nailed my hood and rolled the paint and aluminum up like a sardine can. At that point I proceeded to leave went home didnt even eat that night and that was what I went to the ATM for. Word of advice if you are tired *DO NOT* drive your mustang :sosad:

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
HeiMa said:
I guess we are both out of wack - there is a reason my Mustang is in the spot in the garage that is directly under our bed upstairs!!! :winks
Well, that's just Feng Shui :thumbsup

BTW, your online name is what New Yorkers say when they are on TV.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts