Ford Mustang Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Deep breath....

A couple of months ago, I was pulling the baby out of the garage.

I open the entry door to the garage.

Slip into the driver's side to put in the coffee cup and lunch bag. Oops, coffee cup is sort of oval. Doesn't fit in the cupholder. Oh well, I'll just be careful.

Get out. Walk carefully around the Mustang. Open the bay door. Walk back around and into the Mustang. Forgetting all about the coffee, on the armrest, I knock it into the backseat. [BLOOSH]

It's all over everything. Armrest, seat, carpet [smells good but I am furious].

I pull the car forward a little too fast, hit the brakes and jump out to grab a towel from downstairs. I unlock the front door, race down, race back....

Where's my car?

Car in neutral+gently sloping driveway=Houdini car!

Mustang has rolled down the driveway and T-boned into the side of the Taurus.

Both cars were fine [undamaged!] but that was a sickening feeling.

"OH [insert good swear words here]!!!!"

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Boy you guys with these stories are making me feel better about my little mishap already! Those are some real winners! Thanks for being willing to share. May this forum continue to serve as warnings to all of us. Keep 'em coming!:thumbsup

·
Registered
760 Posts
iplaydat said:
Boy you guys with these stories are making me feel better about my little mishap already! Those are some real winners! Thanks for being willing to share. May this forum continue to serve as warnings to all of us. Keep 'em coming!:thumbsup
I just hope as each of these scenarios start to unfold in everyone elses life that these posts in the thread will flash in to the minds of everyone and prevent the same "doh- moments" from happening. If my "doh-moment" can save one persons hood this thread would have been worth it.:thumbsup

·
Registered
66 Posts
This one was not my fault but still a good one. I had a 93' Vibrant White special edition LX convertible before my 05 GT. I had a Cobra R cowl hood installed and the bumpers & side molding repainted.

After a week and half of waiting, I got my car and was very happy. That night I was going out on the town with a friend. I get to the expressway entrance and gun it. Well, all I see is this flash of white and then I realize my hood has blown open, it smashes in the cowl and then detaches and flies away like a kite. My friends is like holy crap all I say is STFU and take a moment to realize what happened. Luckily, my hood did not hit another car and it landed in the far right lane which traffic was avoiding it. I ran down the sholder and retreived my new hood, dropped my convertible top stuff my hood vertically behide the front seats. So, I am driving down the expressway with no hood top down with a the remains of old hood stuffed behinde me heading back home.

Neddless to say I got quite tosted that night at the bar.

Bodyshop neglected to attach the saftey latch! And beleive me you, I let that Mo have it!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
386 Posts
Getting gas..the "attendant" opened the gas lid so hard he bent the lid & dinged the body.
Praise Jeezus I had 'dent fixer' (today) get the ding out painlessly & the body shop re-aligned the gas lid.
Not a huge deal since the car is back to perfection however that $25 fill up ended up costing me $175.

Also I hit a curb & had to repaint / restripe the front splitter last year day. Day after I got it back, Wife runs over a pothole , & screws up the splitter again

$300 to repaint the splitter & restripe twice $450 total for nothing .:madas: :madas::madas:

·
Registered
93 Posts
In some other post I had mentioned that I had had been trapped and beaten by a carwash, much in the way a spider snares insects. Here's how it went down.

I pull into the carwash, slowly, like the sign says. I've neve really done this before, so I just pull forward straight like I've seen others do. Simple enough, right? Suddenly my car hits something hard, like a barrier in font of me. No idea what it is. I go a little farther, and the entire right side of my car lurches up. Ok, so thats bad. I pull out, very carefully, and go back in, and the same thing happens, despite my best attempts to avoid whatever it was I hit. It looked like some black thing under the tires. I go up, the car lurches completely to the left side again, I get very worried, start to back out, I can't. The light on the carwash changes to red, and things start groaning and hissing. Now I'm panicked, so I throw it into the reverse, the car starts fishtailing in place everwherere, so I stop that and try everything I can to get the car straight. I get stuck. , at a 45 degree angle in the carwash. The moving cleaners, those hulking pieces of metal, start to move forward towards me. I can only watch and cover my eyes as it goes past, hits my fender, stops, and then pushes forward and scrapes the paint off the side of my car. By some miracle I was able to straight up after this, and get out of the carwash as soon as I could.

Then I felt sick and proceeded to panick in the parking lot. The scratch wasn't *too* big, thankfully, and isnt very noticable with touch up paint on there- but the right side of my bumper is pressed in just a centimeter. Its not very noticible, but its not flush with the fender.

So, overall, can't tell. Only I know the signs of my shame.

Does anyone know what those black blocks in the middle of the carwashes are for?

·
Registered
534 Posts
This happened yesterday and I already made a thread of my own but I might as well add to this one with the original post from the other thread....

"As this just happened about 7 minutes ago I am still steaming mad.. at myself of course :mad: :mad: ..

Anyway I was just washing the car and I was completely done everything gleaming clean looking perfect and I was just thinking to myself 'I hope it doesn't rain for a week so the car will stay clean'.. Then for whatever reason I decided to reverse the car into the garage instead of pulling it in forwards like I always do. So I'm backing up verrry carefully, but obviously not carefully enough as I hear a grrrrinnndddd/scrrraatcch on the right side. So I yell 'OH F*CK!!' and get out to see what I've just done. The right side of the rear bumper is scraped and has paint from my garage across it and the bumper is dented in now :mad::weeps I can't express in words how mad/sick I feel right now."

Update: Most recent quote I received was $800, so it will most likely cost me about $800 because I attempted to reverse into my garage :mad:

Attachments

·
Registered
496 Posts
iplaydat said:
As careful as we are with our new Mustang babies, sometimes our minds go on vacation and we do something dumb that we wouldn't want to bring up at the next family reunion. But we can share those :doh: moments here in relative anonymity. Since this is my thread, I will start. Who can top me?

Last week, I arrived home in the evening and parked the Mustang in the driveway, in front of my attached garage. The garage doors were locked, and since I just moved in I have not changed the lock so I can not unlock it from the outside. So I leave the car running, and go inside and make my way to go to the garage to move the Mustang. On my way to do that, I notice my wife is home from her week long business trip from London. So we start talking, and she gives me the wink and says let's go to the bedroom before the teenage kids get home for dinner. Of course I jumped at that, and forgot all about the Mustang running in the driveway. So then we have dinner, watch some TV, and we go to sleep. The next morning my kids get up for school(pretty early 5:30am), and I am woken up by my son yelling, "The Mustang is running in the driveway!". Turns out the car was idling all night long, for about 8 hours! :eek: D'oh! Double D'oh! I wonder how much wear that's gonna have on the engine? Lucky for me I live in a small town, so the car was still there the next morning. I still can't believe I did this, and now you all know!
Great way to do the break in

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sunny morning, top down, stereo cranked, slight hangover...pull up to light behind new Porsche Boxster and see guy eyeing the GT behind him, light green he nails it, I nail and don't bother shifting to 2nd gear and smack hard into rev limiter and look like an idiot as the Porsche leaves me in a big way. sorry Vantage but "I'm the Moron" (thank god for the rev limiter, thought I blew engine)

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
1st time to the track in the stang, heck 1st time there in almost 5 years, 1st manual trans i ever had with about 1000 miles logged behind the wheel. run 1 was a 15.0 due to traction, second run:

i dump it on the last yellow, reaction time perfect. car spins crazy off the line, i shift it into second, traction is restored and now i am moving, i get overzealous shifting into 3rd and fling it hard into 1st at about 6,000 rpms and i believe close to 80mph!!! the following smilies best describe my emotional state at the time::anianger: :mad::madas: :eek: :eyebulge: :doh: :what: :( :embarrassed :sadcry: rear tires, driveline, everything locks the f--- up right there in the middle of the track, the sound of tires screeching to a halt under the new drag that i just created. luckily, i had the sense to realize i screwed up bad, real bad and pushed the clutch in. momentarily regaining my composer, i manage to drop it in into 3rd this time and punch it popping through the traps at a 15.8:mad: i continue straight through down to the turnout, and head my unhappy embarrassed a$$ home to grab a 12 pack and deal with the situation and the possibility that i might have just totally blew out my 1st gear. (drove home floating lights and signs threw second just in case) thankfully, that 3650 really is bulletproof b/c as far as i can tell, she took a hell of hit and kept right on going. thats also when i started looking for a better shifter.... other than that one bad mishap, car has never had any misfortune....yet...knock on stang.....

·
Registered
139 Posts
Dallas has these freakish rainstorms that roll up from out of nowhere....and I got caught in a bad downpour....I am pushing my top button and holding it and waiting.....nothing happening...rain pouring in....I am freaking, "OH NO....my top is broken.....needless to say I a spewing a few choice words about FORD quality until I realize I had put the convertible top boot on and it is holding the top in place.....D'OH !!!!!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
heres one but not about a mustang.
One time me and a friend went fishing at some big lake and we were in my 91 Jeep Wrangler and we didnt have ANY kind of top on it. Zero protection. so we're out there and its starts pouring. about 2 hours later its slows down to just sprinklin. we go and look at the soaked jeep and the thing is flooded on the inside about 4 inches. and the drains under the mats were clogged (dont ask me how that happens) so we have to drive to my house soakin and its still rainin so it keeps filling up on the way home. It took about 2 days to drain all the water out and it ruined the radio we bought like 1 year ago.

·
Banned
210 Posts
Another 360 story...

Just had my 06 GT for only two days and I was driving home when a light rain started to fall here in Atlanta. Well as I am approaching Hwy 20 and get on the onramp, you know one of those big circle around deals half moon shaped, I am taking it easy going around it knowing that it is wet and as I am starting to straighten out I give the baby some gas. It did not matter that traction control was on the rear end went right out from under me and I was proceeding down the onramp sideways freaking out with only 100 miles on the car. So of course I over correct and swing myself the opposite direction and am still going sideways down the on ramp. A few more fish tails and I am facing the wrong direction at the end of the onramp, car stalled out and cars coming at me trying to merge. Needless to say it scared the crap out of me and my legs were like butter. Could barely operate the clutch for the 2 mile trip home. Won't ever forget that.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Not really a d'oh moment, but last year here in Dallas it iced over one night. I'm sitting at work and its around 2pm and everyone is getting frantic becuase it went from like 40 something degrees to 30 something within the hour. No biggie, my shift was over at 9. Then 5pm hits and its drizzling outside along with the temp. dropping another 10 degrees. My boss then decides its getting bad and wants to send us home... at 6:30 if no customers show up (I was cashiering at a Toyota service drive... I mean really, who is going to get their oil changed with those conditions out there?).

6:30 rolls around and we're booking. From the time period of 5-6, the view from my window went from normal to all white and gleamy. So, I know there's ice like crazy out there and I have to get home. But, instead, I go to my girlfriend's house because 1) its closer, and 2) less drivers that way (it was against rush hour traffic). I'm hopping on 121N and taking the ramp towards 635 doing about 25 mph or so when I decide I'm going too fast for the upcoming overpass. I let off the gas and barely press in the clutch to shift out of 3rd when my backside starts flying to the right. I start to turn into the spin but the car won't stop. I do a 540 and I end up facing what used to be my 3 oclock in the middle of the offramp.

Yeah, I felt like a deuchebag after that. I look over to my right and see like 20 cars coming up on me. So I threw it into reverse and pulled into the grass (no curb thankfully) and sat until they passed and went about my way doing no more than 20mph the whole way to her house.

Pretty scary sh!t when you cannot control your car. It was my first time driving in icy conditions like that so I think I did well for not crashing. If there was another car near me at the time though, I would've had a wreck.

Luck was on my side.

·
Registered
35 Posts
All these D'oh 's are bringing back some fond memories.

I was just 15, no license, driving a 2 year old 1977 Mustang hatch back with a manual tranny and a 302. My "big brothers" car, he was a cop and had taught me all the 'cop driving' skills it that car. Man what fun that thing was, 360's at 60 mph, reverse to forward 180's on narrow city streets, smokin the tires in all the grears...etc.

We're coming back from a cop party, he had a bit too much to drink so he let me drive. Long country highway central Illinois. Spot a deer standing at the side of the road just staring at me coming up about 60. I skoot over to the further lane, brother looks up and says just don't slow down...he may run in front of us. As he finishes saying that, the deer bolts straight across the road. I drop a gear, mash the pedal and BAM that deer ran right dead center into the passenger door, flips up over the roof, and he's gone in the darkness.

Brother got knocked damn near into my lap. He sobered up, was p*ssed about the car. At least he agreed with my reaction, said that had I tried to slow down or anything else that deer would have been coming thru the windshield at us. Poor mustang.

·
Registered
787 Posts
My Mustang was 4 weeks old;

Driving back from a hellacious party near Austin TX. Place called Bee Cave back in 1979. I had a brand new cobra when I failed to navigate a turn off a loose gravel road and skidded into a small ravine. My buddies and I crawel out of the car when we realized three wheels were off the ground and the only thing holding us there was a three-foot tall boulder. We heard a lady up the hill asked if we were alright and told us they had called the wrecker.
We waited at her place and she told us that she and her husband were just saying that it had been a long time since someone had done what I did.
Took a month to get the parts from the factory and get my car back on the road. What a trip!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
There is nothing worse when changigg your oil and you forget to put the oil drain plug back on. Luckily I didnt start the car because my oil pan was overflowing and spilling oil onto my driveway when I found out so I knew something was fishy. Well I had to go to the auto store again, of course with another car, buy new oil and this time I make sure I put the drain plug back on. A real ditsy moment on my part.

·
Registered
451 Posts
iplaydat said:
As careful as we are with our new Mustang babies, sometimes our minds go on vacation and we do something dumb that we wouldn't want to bring up at the next family reunion. But we can share those :doh: moments here in relative anonymity. Since this is my thread, I will start. Who can top me?

Last week, I arrived home in the evening and parked the Mustang in the driveway, in front of my attached garage. The garage doors were locked, and since I just moved in I have not changed the lock so I can not unlock it from the outside. So I leave the car running, and go inside and make my way to go to the garage to move the Mustang. On my way to do that, I notice my wife is home from her week long business trip from London. So we start talking, and she gives me the wink and says let's go to the bedroom before the teenage kids get home for dinner. Of course I jumped at that, and forgot all about the Mustang running in the driveway. So then we have dinner, watch some TV, and we go to sleep. The next morning my kids get up for school(pretty early 5:30am), and I am woken up by my son yelling, "The Mustang is running in the driveway!". Turns out the car was idling all night long, for about 8 hours! :eek: D'oh! Double D'oh! I wonder how much wear that's gonna have on the engine? Lucky for me I live in a small town, so the car was still there the next morning. I still can't believe I did this, and now you all know!

O well....just think..if you wouldn't have been side tracked by the dinner it would have only been running for 6 minutes! :)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Foolinjected said:
O well....just think..if you wouldn't have been side tracked by the dinner it would have only been running for 6 minutes! :)
Oh YEAH BABY!:eyepoppin :dance: :banana:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Mine's from this past July 4th. Was following a buddy through a restaurant parking lot. I'd never been there, so I thought he knew what he was doing. He went in the back entrance and took the LAST parking spot back there. So I parked in the alley behind the building. Walking in, I found a better spot, so I decided to move my car. As I was backing out of the alley, which slightly curved to the right, I never saw the 3-foot high dumpster to the left of me, and BAM! -- swiped it with my front fender. Put a nice crease in it, and about a 1 1/2 inch scratch on the door in front of the mirror. The car was in the shop 36 hours later. When I got it back, they had also replaced the side mirror, which I hadn't noticed was scratched underneath. So I sold the mirror on eBay and got part of my deductible back. Total damage estimate was $1001. No pics of the damage (trying to forget), but they did a great job with the repairs.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 46 Posts