Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1965 289 with a C4 transmission. both are new rebuilds. engine runs great but when I put the car in gear it dies. even with the idle kind of high it dies. is this a vacuum issue? if it is where can I find the line that is the problem? thanks

·
Registered
84 Posts
Most likely the one going to the modulator valve. However, I would diconnect and plug one at a time and see if this solves the problem.

There are several things that could cause this. This should eliminate it if the vacumn is causing this problem. My 289 does this when it is cold, but I believe it just the nature of the beast.

·
Registered
89 Posts
That does sound like a vacuum leak. Probably a large vacuum leak...but be sure to make sure your idle speed/timing are correct as well. Is this a new problem or have you performed some type of service/work recently??

·
Registered
53 Posts
Could be a possible of couple things .. What does your tack read when your idling in park ? happened to a old truck i had, my truck was doing that ... never realized it was leaking tran fluid .. had none. It would start, when in drive it would die.

·
Registered
245 Posts
get a vacuum gauge and check your engine vac at idle, should be 17hg and up. Get back to us with the numbers. sounds like a tranny / torque converter problem to me, not vac. Who installed the torque converter?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts