Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 69 Grande and I have an issue with the light that illuminates the shift selector indicator.

I have a 302, 3 speed automatic.
I put in a new 1445 bulb and I checked to see if there was voltage to the socket. There is voltage and I tried 3 different bulbs. The light still will not light.

I checked and cleaned the ground terminal contact as well.

any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
If you have voltage and a good bulb, either the ground is faulty or there is something physically wrong with the socket. I would start by checking resistance with a meter to chassis ground on the ground side of the circuit. If it's open, of course it won't work at all, but high resistance will cause the bulb to illuminate so dimly that you can't tell it's on.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Test the bulb by placing the center terminal of the bulb on the positive post of your battery while using a small jumper wire clipped to the negative post of the battery, and touching the jumper to the negative of the bulb base. If the bulb lights, good bulb, bad socket not making contact with the bulb. If the bulb doesn't light, bad bulb.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have the same trouble with my shift indicator light on my 65 coupe, non console. I get power to the socket but it has a terrible ground. I think I am going to run a separate ground wire from the socket case to a solid ground and solder the wire to the case for good measure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts