Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay - let's see. I've always driven a standard. In fact - I've always driven a 4-cylinder. Now I'm in a 2006 V6 and feel like I might be shifting at RPMs that are too high. I don't want to hurt my car!!!!
For example - when I pay attention, I shift from 2nd to 3rd at 2500 - 3000 RPMs. I'm used to listening to the engine in order to determine when to shift. Anyone have any advice/recommendations on this?

Oh yeah - also.. when down shifting I read in teh manual not to down shift to 1st when going 15 MPH or slower, but when I keep it in 2nd at 5 MPH the car struggles. I really don't think I could do much damage in shifting from 2nd to 1st at 10MPH and below?
right?

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
BadKitty2006 said:
Okay - let's see. I've always driven a standard. In fact - I've always driven a 4-cylinder. Now I'm in a 2006 V6 and feel like I might be shifting at RPMs that are too high. I don't want to hurt my car!!!!
For example - when I pay attention, I shift from 2nd to 3rd at 2500 - 3000 RPMs. I'm used to listening to the engine in order to determine when to shift. Anyone have any advice/recommendations on this?

Oh yeah - also.. when down shifting I read in teh manual not to down shift to 1st when going 15 MPH or slower, but when I keep it in 2nd at 5 MPH the car struggles. I really don't think I could do much damage in shifting from 2nd to 1st at 10MPH and below?
right?
I don't know exactly what the manual says, it's probably for better gas mileage, and not for mechanical durability issues.

You generally don't need to rev that high to shift. you can generally shift at 1500 if you're not in a hurry, the car has a lot of torque, so you don't really have to rev it, when you do, your mpgs go way down.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good to know - I guess having a civic as my last car.... this is a HUGE difference... going from a dainty little squeak of an engine to what feels and sounds like a tiger - I could be a little gentler.
Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
BadKitty2006 said:
Good to know - I guess having a civic as my last car.... this is a HUGE difference... going from a dainty little squeak of an engine to what feels and sounds like a tiger - I could be a little gentler.
Thanks for the advice!
heck, you can go from 1st to 3rd, & skip 2nd all together, then go from 3rd to 5th.

Or 2nd ->4th,

You don't really have to worry that much about shift points.

When I showed my sister how to shift, we just left it in idle.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
GLad to hear you left the dark-side!!

:happyhapp

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
kscoyote said:
heck, you can go from 1st to 3rd, & skip 2nd all together, then go from 3rd to 5th.

Or 2nd ->4th,

You don't really have to worry that much about shift points.

When I showed my sister how to shift, we just left it in idle.
Yeah - I used to skip gears all the time in my civic.. I guess with a new car- I'm a little leery.... i was thinking of getting an extended warranty too... like an extra 7 years. I don't know though - my dad doesn't think it to be such a good idea - any suggestions in that area?

thanks!!

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
BadKitty2006 said:
Yeah - I used to skip gears all the time in my civic.. I guess with a new car- I'm a little leery.... i was thinking of getting an extended warranty too... like an extra 7 years. I don't know though - my dad doesn't think it to be such a good idea - any suggestions in that area?

thanks!!
If you took the money you would use to pay for the warranty, and put it in the bank, you would more than likely come out ahead.

They wouldn't offer insurance otherwise. The chances of something going wrong are either very small or something that will break will cost less than the premiums you pay.

It's a racket.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
1500 rpm!!!???? How slow do you guys drive? I never shift earlier than 2K and most of the time I shift between 2500 and 3000. My advice: shift wherever you feel comfortable doing so.

They don't want you going into first above 15mph due to durability issues. I've done it at 20mph but I don't recommend it. I'm never in 2nd gear below 10mph.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Monkey Boy said:
1500 rpm!!!???? How slow do you guys drive? I never shift earlier than 2K and most of the time I shift between 2500 and 3000. My advice: shift wherever you feel comfortable doing so.

They don't want you going into first above 15mph due to durability issues. I've done it at 20mph but I don't recommend it. I'm never in 2nd gear below 10mph.
you're in lazy traffic, you shift for mileage, not power , ,,

:sleeping:

·
Registered
315 Posts
by the time u down shift to second you shouldnt need to go to first , if stopping im assuming . when you D/S to second the car should be pretty much ready to stop by gently pushing the brake, and if in traffic just go from second to "N" and let it roll. As for shifting gears there's a big difference within a Civic's 4 banger power and a Mustang 6 banger so it'll feel funny at first but try shifting at 3000 rpm's to get a feel if you need to go lower or stay at that (even 3500 rpm's is ok ).I use to drive a Eclipse 4cyl. so i know how you feel :kooky:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Monkey Boy said:

Well - I was checkin it out this weekend - and I don't see HOW I could go 1500 RPM's or lower... I definitley shift at 2500 or higher.. it would be too weird to do otherwise...

·
Registered
87 Posts
To save gas, I shift at 2000 rpm. But when i take back roads, to avoid traffic, I shift at 3-3500 rpm. I've even went as high as 4000. When you do it once, and get the feeling, you'll want to do it all the time!!!

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Monkey Boy said:

And you guys wonder how I get such stellar mileage . . .

:cool:

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
kscoyote said:
And you guys wonder how I get such stellar mileage . . .

:cool:
I'm Republican, I burn hydrocarbons like its going out of style! :kooky:

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Monkey Boy said:
I'm Republican, I burn hydrocarbons like its going out of style! :kooky:
I reckon I have nothing to say (for once!).

When you say Budweiser!

you've said it all!

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
kscoyote said:
I reckon I have nothing to say (for once!).

When you say Budweiser!

you've said it all!

:rolleyes:
I figured that would rock you a bit. :drink:

·
Registered
77 Posts
BadKitty2006 said:

thanks!!
Kitty, I would definately get the extended warranty. You're coming from a very reliable Civic to the Mustang, one of the worse cars you can get for dependability, and a Ford, and Domestic Ford at that. Every single domestic car I've ever purchased, I got the extened and every single time it paid for it's self with the first major problem. I maintain my cars by the manual and even so, and in every case something major will happen costing in the thousands, had I not had the extended warranty. It may be a bit costly, but many dealers can be pressured to sell it to you for 25% - 40% off MSRP, so lean on them hard if you decide to get it. I have it with my V6 premium, and by the way, according to Consumer Reports, the 2005 Mustangs have a predictive reliability rating of very bad, so buyer beware. Usually it just takes one major problem for the warranty to pay for it's self. My 2003 Expedition at 38,000 needed the transmission replaced, two warped rooters replaced, the rear differential replaced, two window motors replaced, the seal between the engine and transmission replaced, and the side molding replaced for fading....this could've cost me many thousands!!

It's not a racket I assure you....Still I wish the deductable was lower...$50.

As for shifting, I shift at 2,000 RPM....1,500 is generally too low and you could stress out the engine and over time cause damage if you continually lug it. The low-end torque of the v6 provides safe shifting at 2,000, and to shift at higher revs only wastes gas, and to skip gears also will waste gas. I only saft well above 2,000 if I want to really hit it hard, but that is the exception and not the rule.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
lovcom said:
Kitty, I would definately get the extended warranty. You're coming from a very reliable Civic to the Mustang, one of the worse cars you can get for dependability, and a Ford, and Domestic Ford at that. Every single domestic car I've ever purchased, I got the extened and every single time it paid for it's self with the first major problem. I maintain my cars by the manual and even so, and in every case something major will happen costing in the thousands, had I not had the extended warranty. It may be a bit costly, but many dealers can be pressured to sell it to you for 25% - 40% off MSRP, so lean on them hard if you decide to get it. I have it with my V6 premium, and by the way, according to Consumer Reports, the 2005 Mustangs have a predictive reliability rating of very bad, so buyer beware. Usually it just takes one major problem for the warranty to pay for it's self. My 2003 Expedition at 38,000 needed the transmission replaced, two warped rooters replaced, the rear differential replaced, two window motors replaced, the seal between the engine and transmission replaced, and the side molding replaced for fading....this could've cost me many thousands!!

It's not a racket I assure you....Still I wish the deductable was lower...$50.

As for shifting, I shift at 2,000 RPM....1,500 is generally too low and you could stress out the engine and over time cause damage if you continually lug it. The low-end torque of the v6 provides safe shifting at 2,000, and to shift at higher revs only wastes gas, and to skip gears also will waste gas. I only saft well above 2,000 if I want to really hit it hard, but that is the exception and not the rule.

Ah! the troll is moving to other sectors!

As loing as the car doesn't buck, whatever RPM you shift is fine. If you want, go ask click and clack.

Lovcom seems doesn't know the first thing about cars, maintenance, and seems to think heat causes engine damage, when everyone know's it's friction.

Most of the items causing problems for the mustang are minor, and are taken care of at no cost to the consumer.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
If it's not a racket, how are they making money, Lov?

extended warranties are an EXTREMELY profitable business, it's why the dealers want to make sure they get their cut.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I know little to nothing about cars but i know enough how to take care of mine to not need the extened warranty ! There only really offered for profit ! tune ups ' oil changes ' smart driving ' and common sense will keep your car running great to perfect all the time . i have had a eclipse , a pontiac ,a cheavy and a buick and by far my ford mustang has been more reliable then all of them. and the only car that wasnt in top shape was my 89 cheavy s10 wich was my first car so what ever ford you had must of been bent by your driving skills or was not taken care of by the dealership so you would need to have that warranty . some times there good but most of the time there just ill attempts to make money.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.