Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

First thread post on this site.

I just bought a 2016 Mustang GT a couple weeks ago and I have been learning how to drive stick on it with the help of my experienced bro in law.

He taught me originally to feather the gas as I release the clutch. However, I just tested it out today and I realized I apparently don't need to do it. Allow me to explain:

Going from 1st to 2nd I simply get my rpms up to around 3000, release throttle, apply clutch, shift to 2nd, then gradually release clutch in a nice and steady motion. Then re-apply throttle once I have released clutch. When I do that I don't have any shaking or grinding.

Is this fine to do? As I've looked it up and everyone seems to say you should apply gas.

Any help would be appreciated bros.

·
Registered
682 Posts
What your describing is fine. RPM should drop to be correct for the next gear when up shifting. If you feather the throttle while up shifting then most times your rpm will be too high and will cause bucking or a harsh gear engagement.

When performance driving it will help to rev match when down shifting but this is more of an advanced technique.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts