Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Everyone,

I recently picked up Shine Supplies newest Waterless Wash, Ignition, and I wanted to share my thoughts on the product.

What is Ignition
Ignition is a silica infused waterless wash that is safe to use on both ceramic and non ceramic treated vehicles. Because it is silica infused it will leave behind a light form of protection. There are no advertised figures on longevity, but like most silica infused waterless washers it will be short term. In addition to its protectant aspect, Ignition is formulated to boost gloss and leave a streak free finish on the applied panels

Test Vehicle
The vehicle used here is our kick to the curb car, a 2015 Escape Titanium. This vehicle is always outdoor kept. At the time of testing it had been a week since its last true cleaning. During this time it rained 3 times (lightly), there is grime, pollen, bee poop and light water spots on the car. The ceramic coating that has been on this car was recently taken off.

Application

Instructions are on the bottle as well as online. For those who don't want to look, it is your standard affair for a waterless wash. Liberally spray the panel with product. Lightly spritz your buffing towel. Working in a horizontal swooping motion. With a seperate buffing towel dry in the same swooping motion. In extreme cases spot fix. Use your best judgement as waterless washes are for light grime and dusting duty.

First Impressions
Ever since Covid happened Shine Supply has provided the wrong spray triggers for their applicable 16oz bottles. As you can tell in the photo below the trigger is just long enough to hit the plastic bottle, preventing you from fully depressing the trigger. You can still use the provided trigger, but it is an annoyance that I hope gets resolved soon.

Untitled by Sean C, on Flickr

Paint application:

After swapping ignition to an empty spray bottle I proceed to get into the testing. The first thing that became apparent to me was that there was no pulling on my buffing towel (Shine Supply Cosmo Plush towel), which is a good thing. Everything felt smooth to my hand as I was cleaning the panel. Making my swooping motions to clean I became quickly impressed by Ignitions cleaning power. My initial passes removed the water marks, loose grime and pollen. It is worth nothing that some panels had bee poop, which when it dries in the sun becomes fairly stubborn. This was the only grime that was left behind on my initial passses. I was able to spot fix these marks by spraying Ignition directly onto the bee poop, spraying my towel and gently buffing the area till clean.

Video of body panel cleaning: Looks like a photo, but double click the image and it should take you to the play page for Flickr. If it doesn't work please let me know and I will edit to provide before and after photos.

So how does the panel feel once done? Smooth, real smooth. Shoot, I know QD's and silica sprays that don't feel this good. Going beyond how the panel felt, the car has a nice glossy finish to the naked eye. I don't anticipate this to be anything long term, but we are close to a week since cleaning and the glossy finish still shows nicely. Yesterday I got some new parts, testing a water filtration system currently, so I decided to test Ignition with it. Using a heavy dilution of Gtechniq G wash I cleaned our Escape from top to bottom. The water bead is surprising. I do wish it sheeted water better, but this isn't a sealant or ceramic. For what Ignition is, it is impressive.

Before wash: Spraying with light water.

After wash: Looks like minor degradation on a heavy dilution.

Glass Application:
In the past I have found waterless washes to be rather annoying to use on glass as many can be difficult to get streak free results with, especially in the intense CA sun. I am happy to report Ignition provides an easy to achieve streak free finish on glass with a buffing towel.

Video of glass cleaning: Double click to open

Conclusion:
I will continue to evaluate this product, but I think a fun comparison may be in order with my other waterless washes. Either way, I think Shine Supply did a bang up job on Ignition. It has good cleaning power for a waterless wash and leaves a glossy streak free finish. I have only two complaints with the product so far. The spray trigger that comes with it, and the product is pricey. End of the day, I have zero problems recommending this product to anyone looking for a quality waterless wash.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
The main problem that I have with it is the waterless part. All the small grit just gets pushed into the paint without rinsing it and washing with water. Even on a relatively clean car this micro grit acts like sandpaper. I might consider using this product on a daily driver car that I don't care about much but never on my Mustang.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The main problem that I have with it is the waterless part. All the small grit just gets pushed into the paint without rinsing it and washing with water. Even on a relatively clean car this micro grit acts like sandpaper. I might consider using this product on a daily driver car that I don't care about much but never on my Mustang.
I completely understand your concern and where you are coming from. I think you are taking what could happen as what will happen. I could easily argue that in a traditional wash you can produce serious marring, and you can. The fact is WW's can be used safely. These products are loaded with lubricants and many even have the ability to suspend light grime off the panel. There are 4 keys to doing a WW, RW or combination of the two safely:

1. Technique: Spraying enough product (more is more), prepping your towels, swapping to a clean side of your towel after every panel at least etc etc.
2. Judgement: Can't emphasize this enough, but knowing when it is safe to do a WW, RW, WW+RW is important. As stated in my review these products are for light grime and dust.
3. The quality of your towel: Not all towels are created equal. I have a wide variety of blended microfiber towels that I will use for different situations. For example when doing a WW the Shine Supply Cosmo or hyper soft microfiber towels make a HUGE difference over a generic microfiber buffing towel.
4. The quality of your product: Not all products are created equal. There are different chemists out there that utilize different formulations. Some lubricate and suspend dirt better than others.

Generally speaking, if someone complains about their experience with a WW, RW or combination of the two - they messed up somewhere with 1+ of the above. I test every new product I buy on our Escape to ensure it is safe on the cars I care about. I certainly respect your choice and this review is more geared towards those who like WW/are seriously considering one for its benefits.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts